Author Topic: First SDC Memory  (Read 29561 times)

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: First SDC Memory
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
My first SDC memory is the skits on the square - I loved the Hatfields and McCoys!  Of course, once the park was opened we would head down to the apple butter shop for a hot apple turnover with apple butter on top.

I have nothing but good memories of SDC and to me it is a home away from home.  Just build me a cabin on Table Rock Lake and I would be happy.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2010, 04:03:01 AM »
Yes it did have a drop and they did warn everyone about it.  My first memories are of the Candy Shop on the step on my fathers shoulders.  The Butterfield Stage Coach, being 4 years old and looking down to the bottom of the cave.......(we are going where mom???)  The gun fights in the street and the soldiers marching, left, idle left, idle left right left.  Jim Owens lost river, and the flooded mine.  By the time I first got to go 1967 the swinging bridge was not the entrance but my dad could sure make it bounce.  The smell of flour and fresh bake bread in the mill........the smell of the woodcarvers shop and the big wooden horse they had carved.   The last thought what about the smells coming from SDC when it rains on a hot day.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »
First memories huh? Okay definatly the ball pit and the slides that were with it. The corrugated metal slides and huck fins tree house. I remember grandfathers mansion was a million times better and I went thru it only a million and one times! I am tryihng to remember more, but its just not comin to me. That was so long ago. The only things that stick out are what you just read. Besides the smells of SDC and of course the Green Tram Ride, I got nothin. Still a great place though and I got tons more memories!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
I also remember the tickets went like they are now. they were long and we wrote our name and address I think and you could go over and get them laminated and again I think it was where the stroller/wheelchair rental place is at....and I would get antsy in line and my parents would tell me to shush and be still
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
Rocky's tree house, the log rolling (which was somewhat traumatic for me as I temporarily got lost when I was three or four) and the mule swing are among my first memories of Silver Dollar City. Like so many of us who have been going since we were really little, My memories get mixed up. All I can say is that bluegrass music and the smell of hot asphalt make me think of SDC every time.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2010, 02:59:50 PM »
Getting off the tram and going past the big water wheel before the turnstiles....Danny Eakin was wandering around, sanging and playin'... talkin' to me and a big hug......still get the big hug.....my husband got a greeting but no hug.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
Wondering if the train robbery was for real!  Hey, I was only 6!

pintrader

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »
My first memory is from the early to mid 1960's riding between Branson West and SDC.  I presume it was still highway 76 at that time.  The thing I remember the most is how well you could see the train track from the highway.  The track ran parallel to the highway for what I would guess was probably 300 ft. and was just a rock throw from the highway.  I remember watching with great hope as we drove by to see a glimpse of the train.  It wasn't grown up and commercialized like it is today.  I am not even sure if the track is still in the location it was at that time.  I also remember my father giving me a quarter to give to the man taking money for the train ride.  I think the actual cost to ride at that time was 50 cents, so I presume he had already paid one quarter.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »
I think the train tracks run the same today as they did in the 1960's, for the most part. The tracks are right along Hwy 76 for a few hundred feet, the trees have just grown up over the years, so it's harder to see the highway. The train, when they used the older, smaller engine, ran the tracks in the opposite direction, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"