Author Topic: Disney Theme Park in Branson by 2014  (Read 21681 times)

underdog

• View Profile
Disney Theme Park in Branson by 2014
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
Yes, I know that this whole discussion has been talked about many times that that like 13 years ago they considered it but felt that Branson's road system couldn't handle it. Well I have a good buddy that works at Chase here in Springfield and since Disney owns them once a year they have a Disney rep come and talk about vacations and employee discounts to Disney owned places. Well my buddy asked him straight out why the park fell through so many years ago. Long story short the guy said they did an assessment and the roads in Branson just weren't big enough to handle the traffic. Well fast forward to now and Branson has spent the better part of the last decade improving the roads a lot. The Disney rep said that they actually already have the land bought for the park and have very recently deemed the roads now acceptable. It should be announced in the next year when construction will begin. 

Even though Disney now knows they're building the park they're keeping it on the down low because as soon as they publicly announce it all the land around the park will immediately be bought by developers for hotels, restaurants..ect and the price of the adjacent land will immediately go up. I'm assuming they want to buy that land for cheaper before the announcement. Not saying this will happen but the estimate is construction will start sometime in 2014. My friend is very reliable and I trust him fully that this information from the Disney rep is legit. You can believe this or not but it's interesting to think about.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Theme Park in Branson by 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
When Disney begins building a theme park in Branson, I will buy everyone here their hearts desires at SDC. HEARTS DESIRES.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »

Same thing runs rampant in East Tennessee. If anything, they'll build timeshare resorts with heavy Disney Theming and go from there.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Disney owns Chase? I thought JPMorgan & Co owned it. Or is it that Disney has tie-ins with the Chase card?

I dunno. I just don't see Disney choosing Branson as a location for a park. I just don't think it's a large enough city. I can see them going to Kansas City before Branson.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
as many other promises..... we will have to see if anything tranpsires from this info... long time until 2014..

But hey!! thanks for the info underdog!!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
I am part of the Attractions Line of Business AT DISNEY....this is bogus. 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
I would guess the underdog's friend was given the "sales pitch" by the disney rep..  If nothing else to make sure there name stayed in local branson discussions.. ;D

no harm....no foul.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »
I would think this could be checked out by searching Taney and Stone County assessors records.  They are public records.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
I would think this could be checked out by searching Taney and Stone County assessors records.  They are public records.

A good idea, but if they have acquired any property it's probably not going to be listed as Disney, WDW, WD Holdings or anything that obvious. Even now most of the SDC land is listed on the plat map as belonging to College of the Ozarks. or some church I can't remember the name of right now.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 08:13:54 AM »
After reading this yesterday I had a dream last night in which I saw a commercial on TV for Disney's new park in Branson: James River Castle.  :-\ ??? I wish I had normal dreams....
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »

A good idea, but if they have acquired any property it's probably not going to be listed as Disney, WDW, WD Holdings or anything that obvious. Even now most of the SDC land is listed on the plat map as belonging to College of the Ozarks. or some church I can't remember the name of right now.

Larson, that's a very good thought!  I hadn't thought about that.  But, seriously?  SDC has land holdings under College of the Ozarks?  What would be the advantage of that?  Tax exempt land?  Very interesting -

underdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
I am part of the Attractions Line of Business AT DISNEY....this is bogus. 

THATS WHAT "THEY" WANT YOU TO THINK!! Lol, I knew it was a long shot but the story sounded somewhat legit. Fun to think about.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
The Lynch Sisters left some of the land around the cave to College of the Ozarks as an endowment. They also left some of the property to their church, I believe a Presbyterian or Episcoplian church that is in downtown Branson. I think it is the same church that Jack and Pete and families attend. I believe there was a move by HFC to purchase the land from the church back in the early 1990s. I think the price was $1 million. I once thought that the offer was accepted, but others on this site over the last few years inform me it was not accepted. HFC owns hundreds, maybe even over a couple of thousand acres around the cave, but not the land that the college/church have. Since Marvel Cave was the principal attraction in the early days, and since it is a vital part of SDC today, it would be silly for any of the three...SDC, the church or the college, to change anything. It is a strong economic advantage for all three to keep things as they are for years to come. I hope they do. The Lynch sisters can rest at Evergreen Cemetery nearby knowing all is well today, all these years later. The Herschends and the company they founded ain't hurtin' and neither is the college or the church. Everybody is happy.  ;D

-

The Disney in Branson rumors have surfaced every few years. I remember a rumor Disney was going to buy SDC and make SDC the Frontierland section of a new Disney Magic Kingdom/Disneyland. It was BS then, and it likely is a BS rumor now. I have to side with BetaMike on this one. BetaMike is a highly esteemed member of this site, and, like me, he is a former SDC "citizen." If he says it, I believe it. If later we find out he was covering up to protect the company interests he works for now, well, he's blown all credibility with us here. I don't think that is the case. I trust BetaMike on this one, and I think everyone else should to.  ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 06:25:17 PM »
Hahaha!  Thanks for the pitch Junior.  If this were the early 90's in Branson's "Boom" then we might be talking a different story.  ;)  (thus the origin of all those rumors that won't die).  YES, they have looked at it, and just like Wal-Mart, Disney is buying land smartly all over for revenue purposes so they can sell it later...and who knows, maybe build.   They're too big not to dabble in real estate.

If anything, look for smaller Disney investments around the country in the form of something like Adventures by Disney that give local heritage vacation packages of the area they come into.  Great product and brand that Adventures by Disney has, but another "gate" is dead in the water.

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
Hahaha!  Thanks for the pitch Junior.  If this were the early 90's in Branson's "Boom" then we might be talking a different story.  ;)  (thus the origin of all those rumors that won't die).

I'm no Disney insider, but I suspect they're savvy enough to not buy during a boom. Disney is a big dog: they buy low and create a boom.