Author Topic: Unimportant Interesting Tidbits  (Read 3319 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Unimportant Interesting Tidbits
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
I just found out that my dear, sweet condo neighbor just retired from SDC.  She worked in costuming for the past 8 yrs.  She just retired a couple of weeks ago and is moving to a larger condo because she feels like the walls are closing in on her now that she's home during the day.  She loved her SDC job.  This sweet, sweet lady is 80 yrs. old!!! I will miss her!!

I mentioned in another thread that the hubs and I took a boat ride on Taneycomo.  The captain pointed out interesting spots along the river including the Hershend's home.  I suppose he's telling the truth.  The house was very unassuming, but very cool - very large and made to look as though it was part of the cliff. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Unimportant Interesting Tidbits
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »
Gilligan,  I do that paddle boat ride 3 or 4 times a year... LOVE IT<  veyr relaxing.

I sit on top, clear at the back, enjoy the sun and breeze and couple of cold beverages... ITS GREAT!!!..

I wonder what the house looks like from the other side.. I am sure it is much bigger than it looks from the lake ;)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »
Did they say WHICH Herschend owns the house on the lake?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
Junior, no, the captain didn't specify.  If I was on the same level of boat as he was, I would have asked that question.  I was curious about that myself.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
mmm?  No junior they didn't... They said "Herschend Family" owns the house,,,, So I just "guessed/assumed" they meant that is was locally owned by the brothers and wives.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »
Jack and Pete have several kids and grandkids...the family is spread out all over the area. All the kids are grown, some of the grandkids are high school or college age, maybe older now. It could have been the home for any of them.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »
You can look up Taney County property here, either by map or by owner:

http://www.co.taney.mo.us/cgi-bin/County/index.cgi?department=2

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
back in the 70's  I took the pirate cruise several times and they would point out Janet Daley's house. It appeared to be a small 2-3 bed room house that would not draw must attention. When I took the same ride in the late 80's, that house was gone and now is  a mansion with an Olympic size pool behind it.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
I think Dailey and her husband lived in the house along Lake Taneycomo (Along Lakeshore Drive) until he passed away a year or two ago. I am not sure if she still lives in the area...seems like I heard she moved away. They did live in Branson from the early '80s onward. Her husband was involved in the theater business and they owned the land along Highway 76 that the Dairy Queen and Raddison Hotel, and the Andy Williams Theater are on at one point. When they bought the property I remember stories that they were going to build a theme park called Wildwood. It never came to pass. Her husband was known to have a temper, and I believe was involved occassionally in disputes with others in public, I think even one involving a gun. However those who lived in Branson from '85 through '10 could better chime in here about the Daileys. I know he shot "The Stan Hitchcock Show" which aired in syndication nationally in '79-'81 at the old Courthouse Theater at SDC. Stan Hitchcock had his regular live show at the Old Sawmill Opry, which is now a church across the street from the Branson Inn Hotel at Notch. Stan Hitchcock split for Nashville in a big hurry in '81 when he helped promote a Barbara Mandrell concert in Mutton Hollow (where Celebration City stands) and the show was way oversold and somebody skipped town with the money...stiffing Mandrell and company. A few years later, Hitchcock and others had founded CMT, the "Country Music Television" cable TV channel, and a few years after that, it sold to CBS or some other big outfit for a bootful of money. Branson does have a dark side, usually small people with big outlandish dreams funded by other peoples money.