Author Topic: Petra comes to Branson  (Read 5786 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Petra comes to Branson
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »
No, not the ancient city, but the band "Petra".   Actually its the "Classic Petra" line-up.  August 25, 2012 at the Tri-Lakes Center.  For those of you who don't know who Petra is, they were one of the more successful bands that came out of the Jesus movement of the 1960's.  They pioneered much of what you find in contemporary worship today.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Petra comes to Branson
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
And there will still be people griping that they're "not suitable for Branson", because they're "not really Christian", because they're a rock band.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »
And there will still be people griping that they're "not suitable for Branson", because they're "not really Christian", because they're a rock band.

Aint it the truth!! ::) ::)

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »
I have a number of the Petra albums...who couldn't possibly like the Color Song...
Colorado SDC Fan

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:57:01 AM »

Unless they define "Christian" as "Southern Gospel" I don't think many people would object to Petra.  Their lyrics are straight out of Scripture. They give an invitation at each concert. And the band members are all committed Christians.  Other than wacko fundamentalists, I just can't see why they'd have a problem.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
to bad its not rez band or whitecross.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »
Unless they define "Christian" as "Southern Gospel" I don't think many people would object to Petra.

That's exactly the point: there are people who believe that. I actually heard a fellow go on at length about how there can be no such thing as "Christian rock", because "rock music can't be Christian".

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
When I went to young christians weekend, they had the loud scream into the microphone rock. I didnt like it much. I know it wasnt there for me but the kids. I would rather them scream into the microphone about loving God and being awesome than bad stuff.....If it is loud rock that brings them to God then let em have it. They will grow outta it. Right???
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
When Petra first debuted, they used to throw Bibles out to the crowd. Wonder if they still do that?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:29 PM »
Nothing against this band, but I prefer the old fashioned, home grown music to rock. With rock, some people could care less about the message, all they want is the beat. With stuff like Southern Gospel, the message really is the most important part.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
Nothing against this band, but I prefer the old fashioned, home grown music to rock. With rock, some people could care less about the message, all they want is the beat. With stuff like Southern Gospel, the message really is the most important part.

I'm a gospel fan too, but I can tell you that many, many people who are sitting there nodding along have no idea what is being said. They listen to Southern Gospel for "the beat", just as much as a rock fan does. It's comforting and familiar sounding. I've seen people shouting "amen" to gospel lyrics that are very theologically incorrect, and would horrify them if they sat down to just read them without music.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
That's exactly the point: there are people who believe that. I actually heard a fellow go on at length about how there can be no such thing as "Christian rock", because "rock music can't be Christian".

I've run into a few of those myself.

When Petra first debuted, they used to throw Bibles out to the crowd. Wonder if they still do that?

Junior, I think you might be thinking of Stryper. They still do throw out Bibles during their concerts.  I've been a fan of Petra for about 30 years now, and they've never done that at any of the concerts I've attended.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
This is cool!  I went to a Petra concert in high school, and I had a couple of their albums.  It would be interesting to see them now. 

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »
I went to a Petra concert, in the early 90's. It was pretty good. I agree with The Coloring Song. It's one of my favorite songs.