Author Topic: Nik Wallenda will walk a high-wire across Niagara Falls  (Read 5732 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Nik Wallenda will walk a high-wire across Niagara Falls
« on: June 13, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »
As most of you know, Nik Wallenda and his family are performing at SDC's Opera House this summer during Kid's Fest.  This Friday, he will walk on a high-wire across the horseshoe bend portion of Niagara Falls. The stunt will be televised live on ABC at 8 pm, Friday, the 15th, with a countdown show at 7 pm.  Be sure to watch.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/06/daredevil-nik-wallendas-unprecedented-niagara-falls-tightrope-walk-to-air-live-on-abc-friday-june-15/

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/nik-wallendas-walk-niagara-numbers/story?id=16528783#.T9llo5iuWSo

And here is a short video in which Nik talks about his dream for this stunt.

http://igg.me/p/114001
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:24:12 PM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
Re: Nik Wallenda will walk a high-wire across Niagara Falls
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »
Does SDC have a back-up show just in case?  ;) :D
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
Well, in showbiz, "here today, gone tomorrow!" Goooooood, luck mister!  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
I was at that show this past weekend.  It was introduced as The Wallenda Family Circus, and when they introduced each member participating he wasn't mentioned, so I assume there are enough family members to carry on different segments of the circus.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »
I just read online that ABC is requiring that Nik be tethered by a separate wire.  That's not his style, so I imagine that he's not happy about that (or maybe he is  ;D ).

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 11:10:32 PM »
There are actually a couple of people filling in at the SDC show while Nik and his wife Erendira are in New York.  A friend, Blake, has been filling in for Nik on the wire, and was probably who you saw in the show, Gilligan.  A woman named Hannah (I think) is filling in for Erendira with a silks act instead of the ring act.

And you're right, Nik wasn't happy about being tethered, and has even said it may hinder his walk.  He fought it as best he could, but ABC said they would pull the plug if he didn't abide by that condition, so since they are putting about 4 million into this stunt, Nik has agreed to their wishes.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 03:25:23 AM »
Does SDC have a back-up show just in case?  ;) :D

The family has been quite prolific.  :)

For wire walkers, I happen to prefer Philippe Petit. You can watch the documentary "Man On Wire" on Netflix, about how he and his co-conspirators rigged a wire for him to walk between the twin towers of the World Trade Center, in 1974.

Brilliant.  :)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »
Thank God, the walk was accomplished without a hitch.  It was awesome to watch.  And with Nik praising Jesus all the way, what a testimony!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:52:45 AM »
Zephon, I agree!  Not only was it great, but what testimony for a younger generation.  It was both inspiring and motivational!  I loved it!  Did you hear him announce his next stunt?  The Grand Canyon!  Holy Cow!  One mile across that canyon!   :o :o

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »
Gilligan, we were sitting in the green room of the Opera House talking about Niagara the day before he left and I said "What's next, after Niagara...the Grand Canyon?" And he said "As a matter of fact, I already have the permit to do that."  I can't imagine that.  He said his arms were aching as he reached the end of this walk, and that he was physically drained...the Grand Canyon walk will be three times as long. Hopefully, he'll sit down on the wire and take breaks along the way. Anyway, he'll need lots of prayer support for that one.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »
According to Branson's Hometown Radio, Nik Wallenda will be back at SDC on Tuesday, June 19th.

http://www.hometowndailynews.com/10704/update_wallenda_back_to_work_tuesday_at_silver_dollar_city.html

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
Gilligan, we were sitting in the green room of the Opera House talking about Niagara the day before he left and I said "What's next, after Niagara...the Grand Canyon?" And he said "As a matter of fact, I already have the permit to do that."

NOW THAT'S COOL!  I can't wait for that one!!  ;D We'll be back in Branson on the 29th.  Looks like I'll have to make another trip to the Opera House to see him in person this time.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
SDC honors Wallenda with a parade and the Branson mayor gives him the key to the city.  More details and an interview from Hometown Daily Radio:

http://www.hometowndailynews.com/10735/wallenda_back_to_work_at_silver_dollar_city_parade_scheduled_today.html

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:20 AM »
Congratulations to Nik! I've never heard of this parade thing for a performer at SDC. Good way to generate publicity for Kidsfest.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"