Author Topic: Huck Finn's Hideaway  (Read 20321 times)

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Huck Finn's Hideaway
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »
Any news on what is to come with this?  My heart yearns to climb up that tree again!!
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Huck Finn's Hideaway
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:26:36 PM »
I know what you mean!  Even though I'm not a kid (well...not so true - I'm a kid at heart), I miss Huck Finn's Hideaway, also.  When I had younguns' little enough, that is the first place they wanted to go once we entered the park. 

eak3littlejohs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
my son, who will be 13 n june, wants to climb up n that tree everytime we walk by it....n my youngest son has never got a chance to go up n it n he is always askin me what it was like...feel bad that he wasnt able to have the experience that me n my other kids had :-[

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:50 PM »
I'm probably to big to climb through that tunnel.  I'd sure try though!  My daughter (10) says everytime "such a shame"  I agree, bring back those air guns I loved shooting the red pajamas!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
When we were there this last Sunday (April 29th) I noticed how overgrown the back of the Treehouse has become lately. I believe it is wisteria that has taken over almost the entire back of the Treehouse. I think they have given up on it.  :'( Makes me sad too.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
When we were there this last Sunday (April 29th) I noticed how overgrown the back of the Treehouse has become lately. I believe it is wisteria that has taken over almost the entire back of the Treehouse. I think they have given up on it.  :'( Makes me sad too.
We were there Saturday and thought the same thing.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
I wish they would have put more into HDH and made it more like huck finns. HDH just seems so bland...
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Or just not have built HDH, and re opened Huck Finn's Hideaway.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
I've always had the reverse opinion of everyone else and think they did a knock-out job on HDH and that Huck Finn's always looked funky and out of place. ;) I also think HDH has WAY more to do than the Hidewaway did. The Hideaway had basicically two rooms and a hallway with mirrors. The downstairs was a giant musical chessboard while the upstairs used to have games and nic-nacs until the later years when there was nothing more than a weak "shadow catcher" thing.

As far as Huck Finn's opening again though, the only way it will happen is if they build a completely new tree house. The old tree house is not only apparently structurally unsafe, but as we've noted before it is massively inaccessible for both the disabled and modern plus-sized guests. Even I had trouble fitting through the little rope bridge that you had to crawl across as a kid - I don't even know how adults got through there, and about three-quarters of the parents I see there now would never stand a chance. It's also too small and too unsafe for modern standards considering all the tight staircases and small rooms.

I mean, I have fond memories of it too, but you have to admit it would be a nightmare if they tried to open it again, even with improvements. They have Geyser Gulch and HDH now, even if they aren't quite the same.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:52:17 PM by shavethewhales »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »
Tear it down.  Build something new.  Maybe a new table service restaurant with a second story balcony overlooking the train tracks and River Blast.
SWOOSH

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:22:01 PM »
I've always had the reverse opinion of everyone else and think they did a knock-out job on HDH and that Huck Finn's always looked funky and out of place. ;) I also think HDH has WAY more to do than the Hidewaway did.
In the one season that Huck's Hideaway was open when we were at SDC, my kids spent much more time there than they have ever spent at HDH. In fact, my kids really didn't even seem interested in HDH. They went through it once but found it to be nothing exciting. What is there really to do at HDH besides walking through the tree houses which didn't seem to have anything interactive in them? I will say HDH looks nice.

(admin edit - fixed quote)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:33:33 PM by shavethewhales »
Colorado SDC Fan

Destination SDC

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 07:24:32 PM »
I miss Huck Finn's Hideaway too.  My husband was just mentioning that he's glad that our whole family was able to go thru it a few times before it was closed.  My son (13) still has fond memories of it too.  I'm glad he remembers it - it must have made an impresssion on him.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
Shave,
Thanks for fixing my post. I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Colorado SDC Fan

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 10:34:12 PM »
HDH is a huge waste of money, I never see any kids on it, when they come out they look disappointed.  My daughter went in once and said it was boring.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »
See that is my complaint. Nothing interactive. Open rooms a rope crawl and well sand. Whoop. E. Its neat that they made that area for the 5 year old range and I applaude the effort and thought they put into it. I love the design and the color. And yet it only has to crawly things to do. Even the slide which isnt much is already gone. And sand is gross. There just about no shade (sp?) for the waiting adults and that sucks cuz it gets H-O-T. Ugh I am on the fence with HDH...
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!