Author Topic: dogpatch usa  (Read 85775 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: dogpatch usa
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2015, 04:18:46 AM »
Talking about a generational gap, I mention Lawerane Welk the other day and all I got was who is he
SDC has always made a great past to remember

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
Larry Welk?  From the old neighborhood?  I think he owes me money!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2015, 11:41:09 AM »
I only know about Lawrence Welk because of my dad and because I'm a band director if I didn't have those two things going for me I'd have no clue who he, the Lennon Sisters, Joanne Castle and many other regulars from that show are.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »
Folks who went to Dogpatch in the old days DO have a sentimental attachment to it just like SDC and other attractions. Younger  folks who don't remember the place wouldn't care...I am old enough to remember Chain of Rocks and Jessie James Territory, both in the general St. Louis area. I still miss them both. Dogpatch was 2nd rate compared to SDC, and since SDC and the Ozark Folk Center duplicated the arts and crafts and hillbilly stuff, they survived, while Dogpatch died. Honestly, if Arkansas government did not underwrite the folk center, it would be gone, too. Soon as the folk center's folklorist and director died, his massive archive was put into the special collection at the university in Fayetteville. That to me was a massive insult to the man who built up that place. Anyway, times change. Dogpatch is located in a beautiful site, but was not as easy to access as the other two attractions. That also led to the downfall.

My kids have no clue about Calvin and Hobbes, a strip that is endeared to my heart. I pity that.  They seem disinterested in my collection of books. Same goes for Bloom County. I feast on Pearls before Swine these days.

Arkansas Gov? Cough, hack, cough, try Arkansas Tax Payer, the ones that voted in a dedicated sales tax to the State Park System and Game and Fish. That happened under Huckabee and he gets grief for it as a tax hike, he just referred it to the people.  Remember the state that went total red also overwhelmingly voted for a modest minimum wage increase in the same election. It's a populist state at heart and why Huckabee once said the anti anything immigrant Republicans (the Duggar clan and allies) drank a different kind of Jesus Juice than he did.

As for Dogpatch, the theme reused today would be akin to SDC using the Baldnobbers and fictional characters like Rube Dugan to sell a theme. The family has done nothing to help keep it alive, either. I think it can be sold or pushed via a social media campaign.  The comic strip offers plenty of ride and theme ideas. Like I posted, I think it's a great backdrop for an enhanced small scale theme park/enhanced FEC.  Again, Here's a strip just full of ride ideas and focal points for theming
either.

I spend lots of time in Newton Co and it's absolutely stunning country. There was a huge debate in the 60's on putting a dam on the Buffalo that would have destroyed it in my opinion. It's much more valuable as a River as it's designation as a National River signifies.

The roads getting there weren't much more difficult to traverse than those to Branson back in the day. That's not to say they aren't now. It's really not much farther a drive from downtown Harrison as Branson was to SDC 30 to 40 years ago. The theater growth and the lake gave Branson the edge, but like I said the turning the Buffalo into a lake was a great never happened. If it was to have been place around Eureka on Beaver, it may still be kicking today. It was to have a ski slope and I think they actually tried the man made stuff but it was futile. In hindsight, if I could have survived, the snowflex tech that I've posted about may have made that much more viable especially with the snowboarding component and the growth of NWA and the eventual upgrading of US 412 that's slowly taking place. The river is known as a floating river but it is a mecca for thrill seekers in kayaks when there's a heavy rain and the upper has water. It would be a good location for a man made whitewater course that's immune to rain, like I've posted about. But that's all stuff folks like Morris should be looking at for Branson these days.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:43:38 PM by chittlins »

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
Just found this thread.
I've done work for Abandoned Oklahoma & my post on there is in a link previously mentioned in the earlier pages.
So thanks for the compliments guys. Yes my first visit was unplanned & spur of the moment & did not have permission to be at the park. I don't condone trespassing either. I always try to find the owner before i take photos.

On our second visit we had met locals living atop the hill where the parking lot used to be.
"Purple Dennis" gave my crew & I a tour & let us walk about freely.
Here is my post on my new site with different photos than the set that was on Abandoned Oklahoma.

http://destinationdeserted.com/locations/amusement/dogpatch-u.s.a?galAlbum=105#.VLh1lyvF9V0
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
Enjoyed the photos...thanks!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2015, 02:49:11 AM »
Those are some great pictures... Thanks!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
A lot has been cleared, just in the last couple of weeks. I posted over 400 on fb this week. It's a labor of love, helping clear and clean up there. I'll try to post before and after pics on here, tomorrow~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »
So you are personally doing some clean up work there? I can't wait to see pictures, thanks.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »
Yes  ;D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2015, 10:51:20 AM »
Wow, it's just amazing how much better things look by just clearing away the brush.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
Tinman, It looks great!  Keep in touch.  Job well done

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2015, 03:04:16 PM »
Unbelievable! Good work and photos.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2015, 06:44:03 PM »
If this has already been answered (I went back a few pages and didn't see it) I apologize, but can I ask why you are cleaning it up? I'm assuming it's not opening up again, but is something else going on there, or is this just a community service type project? And would you mind posting a link to your FB pics? If not, perfectly understandable.
Thanks
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2015, 02:36:45 AM »
RIP Chippewa Lake Park