Author Topic: waiting n line  (Read 7845 times)

big doings

• View Profile
waiting n line
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
I was wondering whts the longest uve waited n line for a ride/show? And while ur waiting wht u talk about? the city, god,or just joking around?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: waiting n line
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »
Have waited an hour to get into the opera house several times..

talk about??  usually how cold it is while waiting to see christmas carol..lol

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
I almost always come with family, so I usually talk to them and don't end up talking to people I don't know in line. Also it's not really my personality, unlike my dad and brother who have never met a stranger. Sometimes I have to suppress the urge to correct people in line around me (I'm trying really hard to fight my nature as a know-it-all).

As far as long lines go, I came one year a while back for Young Heathens Christians' Weekend. BIG MISTAKE! I waited in line for Wildfire for hours. I'm pretty sure I walked every inch of queue. All the outside queue looking over the old Float Trip channels, inside the building, and even up to a second story!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:16:30 PM »
Mine would have to be Lost River, it seemed like 30-45 minutes. My daughter even sat in the woodchips. It was hot that day too.

When we're in line, we people watch & look at the woodsy surroundings. Sometimes i will talk to strangers to see where they are from & if they have ever been to SDC. Ofcourse i give them no clues about what they are about to experience, but i tell them to always be on the look-out for baldknobbers. :D
Live life like it's the last day!

Gift Shop Gal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:38 PM »
My longest wait, was for powder keg, maybe 30-45 minutes. We just check out people in line, and the citizens, love the attire, and check out the surroundings.  8)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:46:36 AM »
Since we are talking about standing in lines, my question to you all is do you ever see "citizens" entertaining those waiting in line anymore? I know Richard Young works the line at the Opera House, and there is someone working the line at the Saloon. In my days on park, a primary job for the Juniors at the diving bell was line entertainment. The FITH crew had someone doing entertainment there, too. The "Far Chief" held "pass the water bucket" contests, or a "pump the water pump" contest, and told jokes and visited with guests. At the diving bell, we told the story of Captain Rube and Eli Tolts and Grandpappy Dugan's silver. Plus, there was a kids playground next to our waiting line area, and we did tug of war contests, an "Ozark bathing suit" contest, turtle races, and some of the guys also brought in guitars and sang and played.Many "citizens" including me, worked the greeting line at the hospitality house, too. I have  not seen that in the last few years, either. So, have you seen things like that while waiting in lines at rides, or is that completely a thing of the past now?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:54:39 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

NebFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
We started coming in 2001 with our kids,and I don't remember anybody entertaining the guests in line. That would have been neat,and maybe kept my kids from bugging each other in line. We really liked going to the park,and when the kids were old enough to go together by themselves,we felt okay about letting them go,so different than being at Six Flags.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
If I'm with someone I know, I'll stand in line and talk to them. But usually I like to be by myself, just to wander and think (SDC is my happy place). When I'm standing in line by myself, I like to take pictures of the outdoors, like flowers and trees and different things in line, mostly just minding my own business.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »
(SDC is my happy place). ..

I like that.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »
Since we are talking about standing in lines, my question to you all is do you ever see "citizens" entertaining those waiting in line anymore?

I remember the activities at FITH. Bucket races were fun, and I usually ended up getting a bucket over the head at some point, which is nice in the hot summer! I also loved the convicts in the Flooded Mine. One would roam around with the wooden "Wanted Sign" on his head. Often there was someone with a water gun. I vaguely remember someone walking around with a stick and playing tricks on people, but I don't remember the nature of said stick or tricks. The operators of the Lost River and the roller-coasters were usually teens and were too involved with talking and laughing with each other to pay much mind to anyone in line. Once i do remember a guy in the line of Lost River pretending to be a statue.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
During my last visit to SDC there was a citizen playing the 5 string banjo outside the saloon.  We weren't in line but stopped to watch.  It was sort of an interactive music show....lots of fun until one of the strings broke.  One cold christmas trip to SDC in the line outside the opera house I struck up a conversation with a guy in his 70's who happened to have an embroidered trout on his hat.  We talked trout fishing and ended up sitting next to each other in the show.  The guy wanted to give me his number so we could go fishing together at his favorite spot.  His wife looked a little concerned and he couldn't find any paper so I politely declined and told him I'm sure I could find the place based on his directions.  I think his wife thought I was an elderly stalker who was going to take advantage of them...too bad because he was really nice and knew a lot about fishing.  It's hard to go to SDC and not find nice people to talk to.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »
i remember the water fights at FITH would end up with someone gettin' soaked. my brother had a video of a citizen dumping alil' water & someone, it didnt turn out well, that person was not happy.. >:(

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
There is usually someone who will dump a mug full of water on you getting on American Plunge.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:30:48 PM »
yip, that happened to us afew years ago. it was cool, we gotta kick out of it.  :D

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »
Have waited in line for an hour more than once for shows at the Opera House.  Waited for one hour and 30 minutes for the Vienna Choir Boys at Red/Gold (not a great venue for a choir). 

The worst wait was the one time we got to the city an hour before opening and cars were sent to the fields at Notch for parking.  Then we had to wait for over an hour to get a bus to ride to the city.  People who arrived later got to park in the lots nearest the entrance.  Talk about people being irate that day!