Author Topic: TNT - Could it ever be expanded?  (Read 37155 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: TNT - Could it ever be expanded?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
Keep the coil into the tunnel and revamp from there.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Silver Dollar City without a runaway mine coaster is unthinkable. The end is the ride's weakness.
Agreed, when I bring first timers they always seem to think the end is gonna really be something and nothing occurs short of the nice drop.  I think that is the weakness of the ride.  There is a lot of land there and they have the building and the tunnel, I sure think they could pull another Buzzsaw Falls / PowderKeg remix.
They sure did come up with a winner that time.  My hopes are that they leave or prop up TNT as long as they can and when time comes pull out  agreat new Mine Train. Its a natural fit for SDC.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:20:08 AM by shavethewhales »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 03:36:13 AM »
I know I'm speaking out of turn, since I'm a huge SDC fan who hasn't been to the park in six years  :'( ....

I know that TNT was maybe a little rougher 6 years ago than it was 14 years ago (the first time I rode  it). But, I love the ride. My favorite features:

1. The initial gravity drop. It's nice when a coaster  just starts out slowly, silently, and all of a sudden you're hauling butt around curves with nothing but gravity driving you.

2. The sudden pitch after the lift. Seriously, it's a long slow lift climb, where you have a chance to catch your breath, and then you hit the peak and... nothing! Nothing, that is, until you pitch to the left with almost no forward momentum, so that you think you're about to be tossed out upside down.

3. The tunnel dive. Brilliant. Everyone ducks, no matter how many times they've ridden.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »
If HFEC and SDC wind up loving RMC's work on The Outlaw, I wonder if TNT might be a candidate for a refurb utilizing the topper-track? Certainly would smooth out the ride, and I'm sure they would have some ideas for improving the layout a bit. Might be a long shot, but would love to see it happen. Just hope this ride is beloved enough to warrant continued improvements and maintenance to ensure it's a family fixture in the park for generations to come.   

All that said, even if it's five years down the road, I would love to see HFEC delay their next major park investment and re-direct those funds for a simultaneous rehab of TNT, FITH & AP. They could market the whole thing as "SDC Classics Revisited."

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Dont forget a fresh coat of paint for GM. His house was looking down on its luck when I was there last. I would love to see money and not just beans funneled into thses rides. All classics and still amazing. They kinda started it all right?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »
I'd love to see AP refurbished and expanded using some of the old Jim Owens float trip canals...that would be so awesome...
Colorado SDC Fan

Hannabelle

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2013, 06:33:12 PM »
TNT can be a very popular when I was working on it we would run 1000+ people in an hour.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
TNT can be a very popular when I was working on it we would run 1000+ people in an hour.

Just curious, how long have you been at the park?  Did you also work at River Blast? 
I'm Your Huckleberry

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:36 PM »
I find it interesting that people complain about this ride. It is the absolute best mine coaster on the planet. You could argue that Big Thunder Mountain was better, but as far as the coaster part of the ride, there isn't a better mine train out there.

The final drop, is better than any final mine train drop that I have ridden. Most are not much more than a 30 or 40 foot drop into a tunnel. TNT's final drop is twice the size (over 80 feet) as any other mine coaster out there.

The only thing I would want to see done, is enclose the final drop as it was originally proposed. I don't like seeing the backstage of the park when on top of the lift. And if they wanted to make the ride longer with another run down the mountain, second lift and bigger final drop....that would be okay too. But if they didn't change anything, it would still be my favorite mine coaster.

Jay

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
^ Agree!
I'm Your Huckleberry

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
I agree. It is the best mine train I have ever rode (ridden).  I would like to see a longer TNT. However consider this is a great "beginners" coaster. It might just be the right lenght for the coaster newbies.  This just might be the perfect coaster afterall. Nice nostalgic ride for the old timers. (Just long & wild enough to wet the appetite for the bigger coasters). Just short & mild enough for the youngsters experiencing a (big people) coaster for the first time.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
Was reading about Seaworld's IPO and how they were paying very little tax. They get a tax break by using accelerated depreciation on major capital projects. I imagine Herschend doing the same and that's why you are seeing these projects coming right after another.

OzarkOutlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2013, 04:24:41 PM »
TNT was one of my first coasters. They removed the backwards cars before I was brave enough to ride them.  :(

I think that if a renovation was done they should keep the all of the ride track leading up to the helix. The part in between the tunnel and the lift should be completely redone. Maybe add some tunnels? Then (like pretty much everyone agrees about) add more after the drop.

If the ride was completely removed they would have to put a different mine train there. Sdc without one would be like Peanut Butter without Jelly. ;)
Watch out, it's gonna blow!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
The ride will not be lengthened, but it does go through periodic track segment replacement.  This is not uncommon on rollercoasters though.  For instance, MAMBA at WoF had at least 3 segments replaced this past season.  Now this does not always mean the entire track segment is replaced, some times it is just one or both of the bars that the wheels ride on.

Yep, the more you know
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 10:09:42 AM »
I know I am in the minority here, but I wouldn't change a thing about ThuNderaTion! Perhaps a fresh coat of paint, and a little sprucing up. Yes, the final drop is a little tame, but it adds to the character of the ride. If anything, I wish they would plant more trees around the east side of the ride to hide the employee parking lot.