Author Topic: Craftsman Downsizing  (Read 12210 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Craftsman Downsizing
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
I have always loved all the crafts, although some interested me more than others. All the woodworking, including basketweaving, was interesting. Glassblowing was fascinating to watch, but it wasn't anything I ever imagined doing.

My first love since I was 8 or so has always been blacksmithing. Other than my time in Germany after college, I've always had a forge available, even if it sits idle because I don't have time. The smell of coal smoke is one of my favorite memory triggers for SDC.

But... even in the crafts heyday of the mid '70s to mid '80s, even when Shad was still working the forge, the crafts made and produced by the blacksmith shop were inaccurate. They sold cast aluminum trinkets for the most part, and some hoops and guides for rolling.

At some point the crafts being produced throughout the park changed focus from authentic handcrafts, to artisan level. The quality is extremely high, but the prices are high and the volume is low as a result. Mixing in mass produced lookalikes might be more profitable, but it hurts the market in the long run.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
Wilson and Wilson decoys was one that's gone and has been for a very long time. They did have a Carver there in the fall of 2010 was part of a festival. Bought a Gadwall decoy from him to give to my brother back in Memphis.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:56 AM »
On the subject of craftsmen, is it true that the woodcarvers are being moved/downgraded to the current Christmas Hollow shop, with Christmas Hollow being expanded into the woodcarvers building? Someone on the SDC FB is complaining that the woodcarvers are going to lose a lot of space for their work and guest carvers won't be able to come in as easily.

I don't see why they would do this seeing as Christmas Hollow seems to do just fine as it is during the normal season, and then during Christmas itself they have a whole extra Christmas shop in the barn. Maybe they want to get rid of the seasonal shop and just have one big one all year round... that'd give them the barn back to cram out of theme toys and crap into for holiday shopping  ::)

This'd be another stab in the heart of the city for sure if the woodcarvers aren't given enough space. There's hardly enough room in there for a single carving station, let alone enough space to cram their products into for sale.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 07:40:58 AM »
They'll end up going the way of the basket weavers and the rainman. This shows they will staff the park in the marketing aspect of things. If they are not selling, move them or downsize, we see a park with nosalgia, memories, and experiences, the see loss of revenue, and facility overhead/ costs.

craftsman73

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
Well that is what I have heard that they are moving to the Christmas Shop. I don't fully understand their reasoning for this move, I assume its probably to move more Christmas product (made in China) to make more $$$$$... So if this is true then it seems that they probably will go the way of the basket makers, etc. My understanding of how the carvers work is they don't sell to SDC, its a consignment thing. I really don't think that the carvers can compete with import items and so that means that they need less space to sell their items? Who ever made that decision to move them must not have been thinking clearly or maybe they just want to delete the carving for good, who knows. All I can say is I hope they don't go away, I really enjoy watching them carve. Just my two cents worth... ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
I carve, and I love the size of the carvers shop. Think about how cluttered the store is going to look. No more large scale carvings. Where will they make large signs, Cigar Store Indians, Headboards, Mantles...I think Christmas sells, that unfortunately trumps nostalgia, and actual hand made goods.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
New development for 2012
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned somewhere here on the site yet, but you might be interested in knowing that the Christmas store (Christmas Hollow?) and the Woodcarver's Shop are switching places in 2012.  The reason given is that they are going to expand the inventory of the Christmas store and need more space.  Kinda makes sense to me...the woodcarver's shop, although still an interesting place with people wandering in and out, hasn't generated revenue like it used to for some time now, while the Christmas store always does a bustling business.  Anyway, just thought you'd want to know.

(admin edit - merged with existing topic - shavethewhales)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:15:10 PM by shavethewhales »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
So the rumors were indeed true then. It's a pity unless they are going to give the woodcarvers enough space to actually perform like they used to. It sounded like they were pretty pissed about it. 

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
My hubs is a woodcarver, and they have a conversation every time we are there. And, yes, they are pissed (and rightfully so!)  SDC is making a mistake.

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 06:42:49 AM »
I guess what it comes down to is people more interested in buying more cheap China made items that are easy to transport and gift than quality hand made heirlooms at a premium.  It's a shame but people are more likely to ooh and ahh over the wood carvings than actually buy them.  But investing in something that will last and be enjoyed over years is what these items are all about.  What is needed is that we all come into a large inheritance, win the lottery, or something of the sort and buy more to decorate our SDC shrines in our homes.
That all being said, I do think it is a mistake to take away this great demonstration shop for the woodcarvers.
Vote to end 2020!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 06:43:52 AM »
I for one, have been in CH maybe once or twice total!  i am surprised that it has that kind of a draw, \To justify this move they must sell a lot of merchandise there all year around..  Remember SDC is Mostly about the retail sales.
I do enjoy the Woodcarvers, but have noticed like everyplace else, less made onsite :'(, more made in chine, >:(
I guarantee the 1st place i go in march will be the "new" woodcarvers building to see how they use the space in the building.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
The change is a "signs of the times" thing. If more people were buying the woodcarvings, they'd keep things like they were. It will be a strange thing to see the switch...I have enjoyed Mountain Woodcarvers at the old location since my first visit in 1970.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:26 PM »
I dont care what the reasoning is behind the big move, but I find it to be outrageous. To take something so strongly tied to the past and now and give it a place that will not show its significance is absurd. I am not saying that Christmas is not important, but it has a fine place where it is now. The woodcarvers and demonstrating craftsmen, to me, outweigh the benefits of moving to a smaller location due to popularity. Would the City have as popular and long lasting without the amzing craftsman? No, not in my opinion. They played an integral role in making the City what it is. They should not downsize the core of what they are for upselling. But, hey, thats me.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
I agree. Christmas is important, but CH is the epitome of commercialized Christmas in my opinion. 
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 05:29:39 PM »
The candles do last a really long time! I lit one for a few hours, and could still smell it the next day just like it was still lit.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin