Author Topic: A Unique Experience!  (Read 5435 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
A Unique Experience!
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
A local journalist who was researching a piece about Branson found this Website and read some of my posts about Branson in the "old days." He contacted me and we met for about an hour and a half this morning at my home. He asked me questions about the diving bell, the old Hee Haw Theater, and the growth of tourism in the Branson area. I pulled out some of my collection of brochures, guidebooks, and books and magazines about Branson, and talked at length about all things Branson related. He was very enthusiastic, and came by to see me prior to a trip he was making to Branson to do additional research and to conduct some interviews. A buddy of his also currently is doing some work with my old boss from Hee Haw Theater, and my old boss recommended that the journalist speak with me. So I was glad to help him out, flattered, actually. When his story appears he has promised to send me a copy. When he does, I'll have to share it with everyone here. I'm looking forward to reading the story myself!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: A Unique Experience!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
That is pretty awesome! I would love to see what you have. We do have some old brochures, postcards, etc. from G'ma & G'pa, we just need time to get through it all. They were coming down here from KC in the 50's. I need to just get a scanner and start working! I would love to see the book/report as soon as it's done also! I bet you have a ton of stories/experiences that you haven't shared yet.....or even thought of until now!  :D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
No surprise here junior!  CONGRATS!!

Anybody doing history on the area in depth, would for sure be contacting you..!

CONGRATS!!   let us know how it all progresses.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »
Eagle, get to scanning and posting your stuff...we all would love to see it!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »
I promise as soon as we close for the season I will get over to the house and get going through everything. Every box we come across is an adventure, over 50 years of things they collected. They moved here about 40 years ago after falling in love with the Ozarks back in the 50's. I have already seen some cool things we just box back up and say "someday we will decide what to do with it".  :D

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
I am throwing confetti and doing tha snoopy dance for ya Jr! that is AWESOME!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
congratulations junior  ;D

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
What an honor! I look forward to reading it.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
very cool Junior

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
That's great Junior.  Congratulations!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
No surprise here junior!  CONGRATS!!

Anybody doing history on the area in depth, would for sure be contacting you..!

CONGRATS!!   let us know how it all progresses.

x2. I'd love to sit with you for an hour or two and listen to some of your yarns. Look forward to reading it as well.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:38:05 AM »
If Jr ever sells his book about the Diving Bell, purchase it! Its really good. Maybe he will have another contest trivia deal.......Im telllin ya its awesome! And it comes with pictures!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 07:58:39 AM »
Thanks, everyone for the compliments! If anyone has specific questions about anything about "the old days" I will be glad to try and answer here so others can see it too. If you want to send me a private message with a question or two, I'll be glad to answer the best I can that way, too.  :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »
Perhaps I glanced over it, but Junior do you have a time frame when this story will make it to the press?

It should be a fascinating read. I hope there is a reference to the Diving Bell somewhere in there.  ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
The writer was not sure when the piece would be published, or where. He had in mind several print and on-line publications he was considering gearing the story for. He said he initially got interested in the subject by seeing some information on Yakoff Smirnoff, and that interested him in the history of Branson, SDC, and Hee Haw Theater, and the diving bell. He asked me about all those subjects at length, and tape recorded our conversation, and took many notes. As soon as I know more, I'll let  you all know here!