Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2011 Trip  (Read 3244 times)

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving 2011 Trip
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
We are heading to Branson next week for Thanksgiving. We will arrive Wednesday afternoon and I was looking for an activity to do that evening. It's myself, my hubby and our 2 boys, ages 5 & almost 3. We have SDC season passes, but I didn't know if it would be worth going over there for just a few hours? Anyone have experience with going the night before Thanksgiving? I was thinking of going to the Trail of Lights at Shepherd of the Hills, but I can't find how much it costs. No price is listed on the official website and on other websites I have seen prices from $10 per adult to $40 per adult?! Ugh! Put info on your website, people!
Anyway . . . anyone know any other lights that we could go see? I was sad to learn that several displays have been closed. :(
Our plan for Thanksgiving Day is to have our meal at the Dobyn's Dining Room at the College of the Ozarks where we are staying. Then, head to SDC when they open at 4. Has anyone been on Thanksgiving Day? Now that SDC has announced that shopping sale Friday morning, I'm not sure what to do on Friday. Do you think the sale will make it even more crowded?

Thanks for any info you can give me. It is appreciated!
I have to tell you what my sneaky family did. My hubby and I planned this trip to Branson months ago. He works very long hours and we just wanted to get away, just the four of us to have a relaxing time together without worrying about cooking, or the stress of family, etc. So, my family decided to have Thanksgiving on Monday at my grandmother's in Mississippi! So, Sunday, my boys and are are driving down to Mississippi (from south west Arkansas), coming back Tuesday (doing laundry like a maniac!), then the four of us will head up to Branson on Wednesday. That doesn't sound stressful at all does it?!
I realize it sounds like I'm complaining about my family, but I'm really not. I just think it's funny. So much for my stress-free, no cooking Thanksgiving! :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgiving 2011 Trip
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
SOTH is 10.00 per person or 40.oo  carload.. 

IMHO it is very pricey, BUT if you have never been and have kids, GO fo it!!

I have not been for a couple of years because of the price..

THere is also a drive through display in branson off of shepehrd of the hill expressway, It is about 1/2 as much money, BUT  it is quite a bit smaller of a  display.

SOUNDS like a busy week with lots of traveling, Good luck and i hope you have a great thanksgiving "week".!

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
Thank you! That is pretty pricey. Not sure if my hubby will be up to that . . .

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »
We have gone to SDC Thanksgiving night for the past several years and never found it massively crowded.  We really had a lot of fun and the weather has usually been pretty good.  If memory serves, it seems they usually have somewhere around 8,000 people on park that day.  I think it is a really good day to go.  It seems somewhere on this board in the past someone mentioned that the day before T'giving draws a very light crowd and is a great day to go.  Now the Friday and Saturday after T'giving is a totally different story...as SDC usually has some of the largest crowds of the year on those days. You'll find wall to wall people on those days if the weather is decent.  Unfortunately, we will not make it to SDC this T'giving as we are going to Dollywood instead.  You can buy your 2012 season pass now at Dollywood, use it during November and December this year and all year next year.  That's a pretty good deal.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 05:57:25 PM »
that really is a good deal....

question.  IF you have DW pass, can you get into SDC for 1/2 price?

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:17:30 AM »
Yes you can Sanddune.  Whitewater as well.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
hmmm..  So the good discounts work back and forth between the parks.... EXCEPT for Dixie Stampde?   Havent figured that one out yet.?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
Just found out that thru the college I can buy season passes at a whopping 57$ per adult! and 48$ per kiddo! guess what this poor college student is lobbying for from her family!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »
thats a great price!!  shoudl have checked with my neice, oh well!
 i've got em, and that is the important thing! :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »