Author Topic: Natures Fury  (Read 4188 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Natures Fury
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:52 PM »
With all the quakes & crazy stuff happening these days, what are some of your worst natures fury you have been directly involved in?

Last years snow storms here in KC, Mo. was pretty bad. We live out in the rural area, we have to wait for our friendly farming neighbors to plow our street & driveways. We had a 4 ft. drift in our driveway. We was snowed in for 2 days cuz it just wouldnt stop snowing. No since in plowin' snow till its all over.
There was a bad ice storm back in the early 2000's, it was so bad that all ya could here was tree limbs breaking & ice cracking. Scary! Sure didnt wanna go outside.
Have had alot of storms coming home from the dirt track races late at night, those are never fun.

Anyone?
Live life like it's the last day!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Natures Fury
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:37:33 AM »
I have been blessed in the fact that even with the tornado in Joplin and the snow storms here in Neosho I have fared really well. There hasnt been a time when I have had to stay with the inlaws (scarier than a tornado earthquke and snow storm combined) or had to go to a motel. I praise God that he has taken care of my family in that aspect! (In all aspects in general too!)
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:38:56 PM »
I'm with Trams, I've never really been in a natural disaster.  People that meet me and find out I'm from Arkansas tell me "I bet you've been through your share of tornadoes".  I tell them I've lived here all my life and never even seen a tornado (nor will I, God willing).
I'm Your Huckleberry

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »
I'm with Trams, I've never really been in a natural disaster.  People that meet me and find out I'm from Arkansas tell me "I bet you've been through your share of tornadoes".  I tell them I've lived here all my life and never even seen a tornado (nor will I, God willing).

I am the same way! I have lived in Arkansas all of my life, and I have never seen a Tornado, nor do I ever care to see one.

On a related note, we seem to be getting our fair share of earthquake experience.  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »
I have lived in StL all my life, and had never seen a tornado, until I spent a few weeks in Cimarron NM! Of all the places to be hit by a tornado...it was the small town near Raton in the NW corner of NM.ON July 25, 1996 After 2 grueling weeks of backpacking almost 100 miles (in 10 days) with all our goods/ shelter (tent)/ foods etc. We set out in our rental car in a downpour to eat in a restaurant (a 1970's diner from what I remember called Heck's Diner).

Upon leaving, since I knew my way around, I was attempting to guide the driver from the backseat to the ice cream parlor, but we soon looked behind us to see a funnel cloud barreling down behind us. We sped out of the lot onto the streets of town, regardless of turns, it stayed with us swinging roofs, and trailer parts around, snapping power lines, tearing through the bank and post office (with pieces of a mobile home) before chasing us out of town at as fast as our car could accelerate on the windy wet streets-some gravel, some paved. We eventually made some distance on the main road out of town, and about 5 minutes later the tornado had gone back up into the sky to leave a rain of debris falling from the sky.

We made it out, but saw some scary stuff, no deaths, and the town was put back together after a few months. Funny thing was that when the police arrived soon after we came back into town, the post office was guarded before the bank! people were scurrying about picking up letters instead of $$!

Overall the F2 was about 50 yards wide  at its peak and caused $1.7 M in damages.

We are the tiny peck of a car in this photo...

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
!!!!!!! EEEEEEEK!!!!! :o

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »
Yes scary stuff, but makes for a great story now that I look back 15 yrs ago. Seems like just yesterday though.

Destination SDC

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
I've had some (too close for me ) close calls with tornadoes, but nothing so scary as the tornado that ripped through our area (we live in the Joliet/Plainfield IL area) back in 1990. This tornado was an F5 and on the ground for 16 1/2 miles.  I was in college back then, still living at home with my parents.  We were very fortunate,  just some damage and no power for a week.  But a lot of people in our area lost everything including loved ones or their own lives.  But what was most frightening for my mom and me was that my dad wasn't home at the time.  He was visiting someone at the hospital (2 minutes from our house) at the time and it took him hours to get home and we didn't know if he was o.k.  (this was before cell phones).  I don't think I have ever been so happy to see him as when he finally got home.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »
Natures Fury, great name for a rollercoaster.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
It was November 1983 me my dad grandpaw and uncles were deer hunting southern Illinois, opening morning and it was raining we had too cross a creek that had no water in it just a few puddles, we didn't think much of it till we all met back at the truck for lunch, and when i got too the creek it was knee deep had too wade out and let me tell you it was cold and i suggested we not go back too our spots for the afternoon hunt, but it had stopped during lunch and semi cleared up. So we decided too go back too our spots for our afternoon hunt. as we were walking back too our spots the wind had kicked up and lightning and thunder bad thunderstorm, any normal people would call it a day head home and dry out. Not us we were tough and there wasn't anything going too get us out of the wood's, anyway it rained and rained and rained did i say it rained? lol and didn't stop, now its time too quite for the day and head home remember its been raining most of the day and raining hard for about 4 to 4 1/2 hours in the afternoon oh did i mention that we watched the weather on the ten o'clock news the night before and the forcast was calling for a low of 36 degrees and a high of 54 degrees and cloudy no rain just clouds. I remember this because of what happend. so we are headed back too the truck and we get too the creek and its racing and very deep much deeper than it was at lunch. and there is no other way out so we went in a single file line wading through the creek and my dad was swept off his feet and went under with gun in hand and a lot of cloths on he came up about 100ft from where he went under and was able too swim too the other side of the creek. he was very lucky and said that when he was in the navy he was taught how too swim in swift current and that's what saved his life. now my grandfather and i were still stranded on the wrong side of the creek. so we decided too walk the creek until we found somewhere else too cross if we could, and we got lucky and found where the wind that came in with the storm's downed a big tree that stretched acrossed the creek, we had too scoot acrossed the downed  tree and got acrossed it was about 1 1/2 to 2 miles down the creek. from that day on i have and will alway respect mother nature she is nothing too mess with. i know that this story don't really fit the thread but i had too share it. and by the way thanks for starting this thread very good idea!!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »
Wow, what an experience Avalanche!

You’re story fits in perfectly with “nature’s fury” as flood waters have known to be very deadly. I thought it was interesting how many factors played into your decision to stay, and or return after lunch. You’re absolutely right though, the weather, and nature cannot be controlled. The only thing humans can do is hang on for the ride. ;)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 06:31:21 AM »
Great story Avalanche!

Speaking of flood waters, i forgot about this.. Back in 1993 here in KC, it rained for a month or 2 straight. The Missouri River flooded bigtime. My parents farmhouse i live in now got about 6 inches of water in it. But, where i was working at the time, we watched the flood waters creep into the shops front door & we took off. It ended up with about a foot & half of water in it. Took us about a month to clean it all out. We worked at a differant location till the waters receeded. I did learn the power of flood waters from this deal.
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 08:23:35 AM »
23 degrees this morning in florida!!!!!   sure glad i am in kansas, 45 degrees! :D

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
thanks all!! and 23 degrees in Florida? wow I'm with you glad I'm in Illinois

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »
yay for cooler weather and fall/winter!!! I love this time of year.