Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 724012 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1905 on: March 10, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
Junior, I agree. No FB logos......

Hollywood, Sorry, dont agree with the wait sign either :(

If they want you know how long the wait is, they could time it and put up signs around the Queue area.. as you proceed the signs could give you an indication of time expected from that point.. The signs could be themed that way.

AGREED!!!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »
I would love to get my hands one of those your wait is signs....that would be a good deal!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: March 10, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »
Well since you don't want SDC to have new technology for the guest convenience then I guess they should take down the roller coasters and the rides. It breaks the theme...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 11, 2013, 01:27:28 AM »
Well since you don't want SDC to have new technology for the guest convenience then I guess they should take down the roller coasters and the rides. It breaks the theme...

If I could like this post, I would. :-)

Honestly, the fact that this is a theme park we're talking about, not a full-on 100% "re-enactment" village, there's nothing wrong with a little technology here and there. A wait-time sign isn't gonna kill the theming. Because, as crash has pointed out, we left the "re-enactment" level of theming behind the minute the first ride was installed.

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 11, 2013, 06:10:31 AM »
Don't they reconfigure the queue line depending on how big they think crowds will be? I know that they do at Lost River and Wildfire. That would make it difficult to post the anticipated wait time from a certain point, as would variables such as how many trains are running, how much staff is available to load and unload, etc. So they have an electronic sign.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
JOY:  Got no problem with a Facebook logo at the Hospitality House, Ozark Marketplace, Turnstyle Area, Parking Lots, on the company Website, in the Pathfinder, but NOT on park. As far as the electronic wait sign...sorry, feel the same way. Not in the "1880's area" of the park. Those of you who don't remember SDC in the 1960's/70's/early to mid 80's just are too young to remember the keen eye for detail that the park had in keeping theme. I know times change, and with the PTB in charge now, it really does not surprise me that an electronic sign or a Facebook logo have popped up at Outlaw Run. I just don't like it 'cause I remember the old days. Yes, I am super old school. As we've said before on various threads, "not in Miss Mary's time!" Seriously, people would have been written up or fired for breaking the theme in such a manner in the long ago days of the 70's and 80's. The PTB listen and take seriously the feedback the visitors give them, and if there is no outcry, and there probably won't be, you will see more electronic signs and Facebook logos popping up on park. Sorry, I just about have a stroke each time I walk through the furniture factory and see the operating TV in the entertainment cabinet they have on display there. I won't change on that type of stuff. Nothing against providing customers with things to better serve them, make their visit nicer, but it can be done in a better way...that's just my opinion. Anyway, like everyone else, I'm looking forward to being on park this week and seeing all the changes. Hope to see you there!  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 11, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
junior,  Agreed,!

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: March 11, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »
Junior: I can understand your point of view. I wasn't around during that time and I'm sure that if I was, I would have the same perspective! I can't wait till this ride opens and I'm sure this ride will not disappoint what so ever! :)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 11, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
JOY:  Got no problem with a Facebook logo at the Hospitality House, Ozark Marketplace, Turnstyle Area, Parking Lots, on the company Website, in the Pathfinder, but NOT on park. As far as the electronic wait sign...sorry, feel the same way. Not in the "1880's area" of the park. Those of you who don't remember SDC in the 1960's/70's/early to mid 80's just are too young to remember the keen eye for detail that the park had in keeping theme. I know times change, and with the PTB in charge now, it really does not surprise me that an electronic sign or a Facebook logo have popped up at Outlaw Run. I just don't like it 'cause I remember the old days. Yes, I am super old school. As we've said before on various threads, "not in Miss Mary's time!" Seriously, people would have been written up or fired for breaking the theme in such a manner in the long ago days of the 70's and 80's. The PTB listen and take seriously the feedback the visitors give them, and if there is no outcry, and there probably won't be, you will see more electronic signs and Facebook logos popping up on park. Sorry, I just about have a stroke each time I walk through the furniture factory and see the operating TV in the entertainment cabinet they have on display there. I won't change on that type of stuff. Nothing against providing customers with things to better serve them, make their visit nicer, but it can be done in a better way...that's just my opinion. Anyway, like everyone else, I'm looking forward to being on park this week and seeing all the changes. Hope to see you there!  :)

Again, WELL SAID JUNIOR!  Of course, technology has a place in the park.  But, I don't want to see it out in the open.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1914 on: March 11, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »
Hey, the way I see it.  If the only thing you guys can find to complain about is facebook logos and an electronic time clock... then I'd say they've been successful with this project.

Seriously, you guys crack me up. 

But, but... "they didn't have running water in the 1880's in their restrooms, that's breaking the theme" :rolling eyes:
SWOOSH

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:44 PM »
As much as I hate to see the digital theme clock I love its conveinence. Its delightful. Instead of guessing do I have time to wait in line before this show starts.....Its nice. And its not huge. Its a nice small-ish size. It could be worse. Compromise was well done

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »
As much as I hate to see the digital theme clock I love its conveinence. Its delightful. Instead of guessing do I have time to wait in line before this show starts.....Its nice. And its not huge. Its a nice small-ish size. It could be worse. Compromise was well done

I seem to remember when the line for AmericanPlunge  being really long back in the day(80s), they would periodically do a skit of some sort that involved folks getting wet from a water bucket to break the boredom. Or am I dreaming that?

Of coarse I remember waiting in the line for Flooded Mine outside, woof.

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 11, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
Hey, the way I see it.  If the only thing you guys can find to complain about is facebook logos and an electronic time clock... then I'd say they've been successful with this project.

Seriously, you guys crack me up. 

But, but... "they didn't have running water in the 1880's in their restrooms, that's breaking the theme" :rolling eyes:

I agree, they haven't let much slip through as far of theming goes.

I'm a very sarcastic person. Sorry if this was taken the wrong way by anyone. I didn't mean anything by it.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 12, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
It's OK to joke around with us...the rest room thing...you make me roll my eyes and groan. Funny. Still, I'm firm when I say if you never visited SDC prior to the mid 80s, you don't know/remember what I'm talking about when it comes to theme. Anyway, you are right Swoosh, I think Outlaw Run is going to be a popular and successful attraction. We will all find out what happening on Friday when we see it all with our own eyes!  ;)
-
Chittlins:  You are remembering some of the line entertainment, done by the employees to entertain and keep visitors minds off the fact they were standing in line. The diving bell had tug o war, the toss test, Ozarks bathing suit contest, turtle races, and the Juniors told jokes, sang songs, and visited with guests. FITH had the bucket brigade where visitors passed buckets full of water down the line. The warden at Flooded Mine would carry a short night stick and smack it on the railing at the the loading area, creating a loud bang which scared folks and made them laugh as he explained rules for the mine. The fishing guides at the float trip told jokes about "the mighty James River, 8th wonder of the world, the only river to run in a complete circle!" It was a fun time. I was stationed in Grandfathers Mansion in costume, would follow people through the halls, put a light on my face in a two way mirror to scare folks, and so on. I do wish they would revive the line entertainment, it would be fun for all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:42:01 AM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 12, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
I remember a time when I was in line at the lost river and there was a door in one of the tunnels you stand in. The door had a square window that appeared to be blacked out and me being nosey had my face pressed to it to try to see what was behind the door. And here is the funny part some guy popped in the window with a flashlight on his face and scared the bejezzus outta me. Thanks for reminding me of that memory junior!