Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 723707 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1725 on: January 03, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
Oh my goodness...

Sounds like a lot of changes for next year... and I mean a lot.
Trying to shift through all of them to see what is confirmed, semi-confirmed, rumor or just plain BS.

Can say, that I have heard from several sources now that the Broom Maker will not be returning next season.

Sounds like Wax hands will be in a new location in the same general area.  Heard talk that the south portion of the old fort will be turned into a shop for it.  We'll see if that happens. 

Have a few more, but I need to check in on a few things before I feel comfortable passing them along.  Please note, I'm not playing "I know something you don't know" - I just don't want to pass along information that might end up being false.  That's just not cool IMHO
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #1726 on: January 04, 2013, 12:26:47 AM »
Cool cool. This is definitely a year of changes at the park, more so than any other year I can recall.

Not surprised to hear that the broom maker might leave, that location is pretty terrible, and it is a niche craft. I always thought it was interesting and stopped by on most visits, but most people didn't even realize there was a shop there. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 04, 2013, 06:18:47 AM »
Of course, old goat I am, I'm sad to hear about the broom maker...no basketmaker for a few years either. These were once key shops on park. Both shops prominent on park. Hats off to all who served in those shops over the years. Thanks for the memories.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 04, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
We didn't make it to SDC last year...first year in 7 that we didn't make it back...I'm definitely having withdrawals and hearing all this exciting news of changes is just making it worse (of course not to the point of avoiding the forum). I can't wait to see all the changes to the park and ride the Outlaw Run this upcoming season. Thanks for all the updates everybody. Can't wait to hear about more of the changes as they are confirmed Swoosh....
Colorado SDC Fan

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 04, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
Ok, here's a new tidbit. Not confirmed yet, more to see what you guys think.
Kettle Corn might be moved to the square next year OR they might open a second location on the square. 

Thoughts?
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 05, 2013, 07:30:37 AM »
I'm not surprised at that at all... they had a location in the square during OTC and seemed to be very busy and well stocked.. i would like to see 2 locations or maybe even a 3rd near OR...  that way they have vendors on all 3 points of the park,,,

of course i understand that that may be overkill, just saying that the easy access to the product might generate more sales,.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 05, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »
I think it is great they are promoting the KC. I dont buy it myself but have had it before and its good stuff. What I think it will be is more like an impulse buy as you leave the park. Kinda like walmart does in the checkout.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 05, 2013, 09:14:49 AM »
I don't like it...now I have no excuse to take a final lap before leaving to " get a bag of kettle corn"... They were selling it on the square , but I still went and bought it at the stand by the toy store. I guess I'll have to find another excuse to take one more lap then!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 05, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
Rube,  for you, my thought would be are they going to "make" it on main street?  or just sell it...??

If they are just selling it you can always make a lap to get "fresh" KC at GG... LOL..

The reason i brought this up, didnt someone at 1 time post they make the KC at that remote location for "safety" reasons? or something to that effect??   

i dont see them "making fresh" KC @ 2 different locations because of the cost, added maint and so on,,,

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 05, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
My dad still brings in the plastic bucket to refill for his kettle corn.  Sometimes he attaches the bucket to his belt loop like he used to do for his glass mug.

Anyway, I assume to fill the bucket, one would still need to go to Geyser Gulch.  Or will the fresh kettle corn move?  It will be interesting to see.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 05, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
I agree sand dune, I went down during OTC for a fresh batch! The KC is a labor intensive job, and can involve some safety issues- last weekend some of the sugar burnt, and the area from the pottery shop to Owens fish was a bit smelly, not too smokey thankfully. I could not see them adding a new store to the square, possibly the kiosk like they had there this OTC, but that'd be it in my mind no production there . The only way they'd add KC to the square is like how they added the taffy by putting it in the old doll shop, by putting it in an existing place, not a new spot. It would be easier for people to get their KC , but don't you think that KC in the back of the park is a crafty business move so that prople have to walk through the city past candy store, craft shops, etc? Much like placing the dairy in the back of the grocer...it forces you to walk past the other items to gt there, and back...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 05, 2013, 11:29:30 AM »
Now see i always thought it was by GG for a reason....

You know the one, ,,,,,   daddy, daddy i want some popcorn!!! ;)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 05, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »
What is the bucket??
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 05, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
There is a reason they'd be moving it.  It has been rumored for a few years now ( no, not a coaster/ride ).  Maybe they're finally going to do it.  Time to do some investigation on my end
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 05, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »
I don't like it...now I have no excuse to take a final lap before leaving to " get a bag of kettle corn"... They were selling it on the square , but I still went and bought it at the stand by the toy store. I guess I'll have to find another excuse to take one more lap then!

Hey, you're a father now.  Believe me I speak from experience when I say you'll be making that "final lap" just to visit the Toy Store one last time.  At least they sell Sioux City Saspirilla there so you can get one to go.  :D
I'm Your Huckleberry