Author Topic: Where were you on September 11th 2001?  (Read 8319 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Where were you on September 11th 2001?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 05:47:39 AM »
I was working at a CARSTAR body shop in Smithville Mo. Our top people had a meeting that day & we kept the TV in the break room on all day. I was sitting up there when the 2nd plane hit, it made me jump.... Needless to say, not much production got done that day. For a 46 year ol' man, that was the strangeist day of my life. The airport was close to where i work, there was planes all over the sky. I was a alcoholic back then, & sat at home after work for about 2 weeks & watched all the coverage. I finally had to stop watching, i just couldnt handle it anymore. I still have the local newspaper from the next day & will never git rid of it. It still makes me watery eyed & lump in my throat when i see images of that day....   
Live life like it's the last day!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:32 AM »
As you all know, I'm from Oklahoma City. I was on Active Duty in Panama on April 19, 1995 so I always felt far removed from that attack. Not to be a conspiracy theorist (too much anyway) but there are still many unanswered questions about whether there were others involved in that attack than the three that were prosecuted.

I am sure that there are Muslims that believe in peace. Globally, there are a lot more that believe in spreading it through conquest. That is a fact that would be very difficult to dispute.

As a Christian, I know I'm not supposed to hate people and I know I'm supposed to forgive them.
As a soldier, I had to be prepared to kill them before they could kill me.
As an American, it sickens me that our (alleged) leaders bow to political correctness, and won't stand up to the threats that we face
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:05:34 AM by okiebluegrass »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
In response to the last line of the last post:

Daniel Chapter Two verses 42 through 46.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
I was home sick from work.  I know I started watching the news shortly after the first plane hit, but I don't remember if the TV was already on or someone called or something else.  I do remember going to the doctor later that day and seeing people backed up at the gas station across the street.  Crazy.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
My husband and I were camped at the WILDERNESS campground. We ere walking the path to catch the shuttle to SDC, when another camper couple joined us. They just had heard the news. We all just were silent with horror....couldn't believe it.  The mood was very somber in SDC that day. Iwas trying to call my sister in Madison, WI. to find out if my nephew was at the twin towers on business. We didn't find out about him until the next day.....his trip was delayed because of he was ill and needed to go to the emergency room. I believe the LORD works in mysterious ways.....my nephew was spared!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
I was standing in the hall of my Jr High and A.B. came up to me and T.H. and said a plane just hit the twin towers and I was all ummmmm what? I thought it was a video game he was talking about. We werent allowed to watch any of the coverage. We had to wait to go home and let our parents decide.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
I was working at the Magic Kingdom.  I remember everyone in the Tunnel was glued to the TV in the breakroom underneath Main Street, USA and I came down to get a Coke.   You couldn't have packed another Cast Member in there.   We all knew that the Guests would be freaking out (although hardly anyone had a smart phone then).

Honestly, everyone was oblivious to the outside world.   We made an announcement that the Magic Kingdom would be ceasing its operational day, and for everyone to proceed to the turnstiles.   Not ONE guest complained and everyone got a re-admission ticket.   We cleared the park in 45 minutes flat.   

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
Cleared the park in 45minutes? I'm amazed. It was a different day, I know I was in mild shock. I watched footage on TV on and off over and over again.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 11:06:05 AM »
There was some aspect of warning that our Executive Operations Committee got that Walt Disney World (an American symbol of capitalism no doubt) was on some kind of short list of targets as well.   

Not knowing THAT during the evacuation really freaked the rest of us out afterwards.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
Yeah, I heard about that Disney on the short list thing before. Frightening. I visited the Florida parks in 1996, and was struck by how people from countries all over the world got along fine. Never saw a single incident. Differences in religion, values, so on, did not matter. Everyone was there to have a nice time with their family and friends...just the way it should be. It's like that at SDC, too. So, as I have said here before, if we can all get along at Magic Kingdom and SDC, we should make an effort to do so in "real" life. Like John Lennon wrote and sang, "Imagine!"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 04:53:58 PM »
I was driving home from work when they announced the first plane hit.  Was watching whenthe second plane hit and the announce said there must be aproblem with the flight vectors. I said that this was not flight vectors, it was on purpose.  The funny thing about it was the several months before all of this  I remember watching the X-Files spinoff about the Three Smoking Gunmen where they were on a hijack plane that was headed for the Towers and how they helped stop it.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
I was living in Brooklyn, a newly wed to my born and raised in NYC husband. He worked for NYC transit, and had just gotten home from working first shift. I was upset with him for something so he was in another room and I was in the bedroom watching TV. I kept seeing the first plane hitting the first tower, on all the channels, however, I wasn't slowing down changing channels long enough to know what it was about. Cause in general that sort of thing doesn't interest me. I mean I have enough problems with out watching them daily on TV. But, after channel after channel had the same thing, I decided to stop and see what was going on. Then I told my husband to come and see what was happening, just as we were saying how could this be a accident look how clear the skies are, and they are right by all that empty space (over the water) it just doesn't seem like this is a possible accident, right at that very moment the second plane hit, another tower and my husband said calmly we're being attacked this isn't a accident......

A few seconds later his mother called, and asked if we were at home, we said yes, she breathed a sigh of relief, and then we asked her where she was (she worked very close to there, as a nurse!) she said she was sick that day so had decided to stay home. Another sigh of relief for us! His father was at work but came was released right away, at the time he was working near Harlem as a electrical construction worker, working on the train tracks that goes to JFK now, so not right by the towers but still in Manhattan.

A few minutes later we smelled the smoke and fire, my husband kept saying I was burning something, and I kept telling him I was NOT! It was the fire from the towers. When they crashed/collapsed our apartment was full of smoke and ash, outside the window papers and ash were falling from the sky like it was snowing them!

The last thing I heard on TV was we were on lock down and not to go any where to stay in the house unless it was a emergency, and we would be stopped by the military if we left the house. That the roads needed to stay clear for all the emergency workers. A few minutes later the TV went out, (it was shortly after the second tower collapsed, but not right away) from that point on for several days we would no longer have local broadcast as the signals were all being transmitted from that second tower (which it surprised me we got to see that and it still was broadcasting for a few minutes after) and of course with it pulverized into the ground we lost all signals. They hurried and started looking for other ways of broadcasting, it took several days though. Any way shortly after the TV went blank, I heard children playing outside. And I had completely forgotten about Grandma in law, she lived below us and took care of my husband's baby second cousins. (her great grandchildren). I told my husband he needed to run down the stairs (we lived on the fourth floor) and tell grandma to get in the house with the kids the ash, smoke etc was not good for them, and the news had said we were supposed to be in the house and not go outside any way!

Grandma in law, said she had just gotten up that day and taken the kids outside, with out turning on the TV, she had no idea what was going on.

The next week would be probably one of the most nerve wracking weeks of my marriage. As two hours after the TV went out, my husband got a phone call that he was mandated to come into work, even though his shift didn't start till midnight that night. And it was still late morning. He went to work and I didn't see him for a week. They kept him 24 hours a day at work keeping the generators going for the rescue workers. He had no food, he would use a walkie talkie to communicate with me when he could, because there was no cell phone service, it was all tied up too many phone calls, same with land lines! The Red Cross was not feeding him or the other Transit workers thinking they could go and get food. I finally had to tell him, tell them you are mandated not to leave, you can not get food, please give you a sandwich just like they were the rescue workers. So after about 2 days he finally talked the Red Cross into giving him food too. Also they were telling him and the other transit workers, and rescuers that the air quality was fine no need to wear any breathing protection. I told my husband to NOT take off his mask, I didn't care what they were saying. As I was hearing the same thing from the governor on the radio, but I wasn't believing a minute of it!  Thankfully my husband does not have the lung conditions that many of the other workers now has, he did not take off his mask. However, he also didn't have the kind of mask you are supposed to have in this situation either, and snores now when he never did before.

Two weeks later we went on a cruise, our belated honeymoon. It was eerie on the plane, the plane was almost empty. And the few people on it were very nervous. I'll never forget the pilots speech. We were to stay in our seats, if we wanted to go to the bathroom or get up for any reason we were to use the little light thing to signal for the steward to come and see what we needed. And if they deemed we could get up then we would, if not we would be considered a terrorist and his exact words, would be handled as such.......my husband and I took that as.....probably wouldn't be seeing you alive again if you got up with out permission! lol During that cruise my husband who had never had any health problems at all started getting some health problems, like he became allergic to shampoo, soap and deodorant and we had to stop using all that kind of stuff completely.

Also my family wasn't able to get a hold of me for days and was so worried about me, I had just moved from Kansas to NYC. After all the phone congestion died down enough for them to get through on the phone they were wanting to talk to me non stop for a while and I to them as well, it was SCARY!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:32 AM »
this posted today on facebook..  would like to have seen more.

About 2 minutes of the 911 memorial day service,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjITTU9cSDk