Author Topic: tent camping...tall pines or wilderness?  (Read 6057 times)

cadronboy

• View Profile
tent camping...tall pines or wilderness?
« on: August 23, 2011, 06:40:37 AM »
I've never been to either one.  I know both are quite near the hwy, but which one is quieter and more "secluded " feeling?

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: tent camping...tall pines or wilderness?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
I've been to wilderness, It was ok. My favorite place to tent camp in Branson is the Corp of Engineers spot on Indian Point

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »
dont forget compton campground...  Josh or Larson can give you some pointers.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
I would have to say compton ridge if you really want to be secluded you can be. Wilderness tent sites are ok, but they're right by a power line clearing. I've only been to tall pines once and it was ok, but I didn't get a look at their tent sites (I have a pop up). I've been to compton ridge enough to pretty tell you what any individual site looks like. The COE park on Indian Point is very nice also and some of their sites do have some seclusion but without the amenities of the private parks. There is a swim beach, playground and a couple of nice new showerhouses, and a small private store across the road within easy walking distance. Not sure what your time frame is but its not a very big park and fills up fast where Compton and Wilderness have plenty of sites. All that being said, Compton Ridge will be the most expensive of the three, but also has the most to offer and some really nice tent sites with topsoil pads. The COE park will be the least expensive but also the most basic, however with you being tent campers it might be just what you're looking for. Its also the closest as its on the same road as SDC. None of them are far away though maybe two miles at most. We've been camping in Branson for over ten years now and have been to most parks so feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I'm pretty sure I will have the answer.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
i knew you could help 'em out larson!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
The tent sites at Tall Pines are in the back of the campground away from the road and are secluded.  Easy walk to the back bathhouse.  We frequently camp at Tall Pines.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
The tent sites at Tall Pines are in the back of the campground away from the road and are secluded.  Easy walk to the back bathhouse.  We frequently camp at Tall Pines.

Do you tent camp or have a camper? Just curious, we've only stayed at Tall Pines once when Compton Ridge was in "transition" and liked it fine, but CR will always be our 1st love. Seems Tall Pines has a pretty loyal following though.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 08:06:07 PM »
We've done both Compton Ridge and Wilderness...Never been to Tall Pines...Tall Pines rates the highest of the 3 by the Good Sam's Trailer Life Directory, however, I've found much of the time that the ratings don't necessarily match my preference. Our favorite of the three campgrounds is the Wilderness...We love the office staff, Mary and Melanie are very sweet, and the campground is cheaper than Compton Ridge...If you have a SDC season pass you save 15% at Wilderness...If you're a Good Sam's member you save 10% at Compton Ridge...Tall Pines was the highest rated Good Sam's park in Branson a few years ago, however, I noticed this last year they are no longer a Good Sam's park...The Wilderness has the free shuttle to SDC...The Compton Ridge guests can walk to the Wilderness (the parks are across the road from each other) and catch that shuttle...Tall Pines doesn't have the shuttle service...Anyway, my family prefers the Wilderness over Compton Ridge, however, you won't go wrong with either place...
Colorado SDC Fan

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »
We've done both Compton Ridge and Wilderness...Never been to Tall Pines...Tall Pines rates the highest of the 3 by the Good Sam's Trailer Life Directory, however, I've found much of the time that the ratings don't necessarily match my preference. Our favorite of the three campgrounds is the Wilderness...We love the office staff, Mary and Melanie are very sweet, and the campground is cheaper than Compton Ridge...If you have a SDC season pass you save 15% at Wilderness...If you're a Good Sam's member you save 10% at Compton Ridge...Tall Pines was the highest rated Good Sam's park in Branson a few years ago, however, I noticed this last year they are no longer a Good Sam's park...The Wilderness has the free shuttle to SDC...The Compton Ridge guests can walk to the Wilderness (the parks are across the road from each other) and catch that shuttle...Tall Pines doesn't have the shuttle service...Anyway, my family prefers the Wilderness over Compton Ridge, however, you won't go wrong with either place...

Lots of parks are dropping out of Good Sam lately. Seems Good Sam is getting too demanding from what the parks get in return from what I've heard. You're absolutely right about Wilderness being cheaper, it is. I had a more lengthy discussion with the OP via PM, in which I advised him that CR is probably the most expensive of the three, but IMO has the most to offer. I do like Wilderness also, and we do stay there from time to time just to change it up a little. I think he's probably going to end up at Indian Point COE, as he's used to backcountry camping and didn't seem to need all the "extras" of a private park. You're also spot on about the rating system. I've found it quite useless and not just Good Sam, but Trailer Life and Woodall's. I've actually found this site to be most accurate.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »
Tall Pines is still a Good Sam park.  Had a new GS sign up when we were there in August.  We've always received the Good Sam discount there.  We used to camp frequently at the state park but gave it up when we needed to have internet access daily due to business reasons.  We went through a period when we alternated between the Wilderness and Tall Pines.  We gave up on the Wilderness when they kept putting us in sites that were really too small for our 26' trailer.  Even with our SDC pass discount it was less expensive at Tall Pines with our Good Sam discount.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:53:12 PM »
yall I love the points ya made but I love the wilderness. it has a few playgrounds a pool an arcade. It has a small general store that is super pricey but if ya forgot somethin vital at home and dont wanna trek to walmart in town.....it is clean and friendly and also offers cabins to those that are air condition babies such as myself. With a free shutle to the city and a close proximity should you choose to drive, it is hard to beat. The prices are actually pretty decent. If we stay in a tent or cabin that is where we go, and the discount we get being season pass holders (except this year sadly cuz well we didnt buy them :( ) is a good thing for my small budget. And if you choose to stay at a motel, you cant beat the Eagles Lodge 3221 Shepherd Of The Hills Expressway Branson, Missouri 65616, Direct reservations: 800-728-2664 paige has some sweet deals ya cant beat!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:13:08 AM »
For "camping" I've only stayed at the Wilderness. I will say my husband and I drove through ALL the other "parks" in the area and to us none of the rest seemed as good.

I like that "some" of the camping sites at SDC are VERY large. I will say though even when we tent camped (we have done both tent and trailer) we would upgrade (since we always have SDC passes) to the sites that offer electric and water. (it may be trailer sites, in fact I'm quite sure they are). We book one year early, when we camp there. And we look at the map and pick the site we want. You can reserve what ever site you like. We for conveince of being next to the bathroom did like one site near the top by the bathrooms (not the store, the other bathrooms! lol) it was right across from the bathroom and a large enough camp site, but during the day it got full sun and our pet bunny couldn't take the heat! lol haha It will be a site we would rent again with a trailer with AC though! Any way we looked around and liked a HUGE trailer site on the other side (closer to the cabins, at the bottom of the hill), it was far from bathrooms but not bad, we liked having the huge space. The bunny got to run around a bit each day there. lol

When we looked at other camp grounds it seemed all the sites were butted right next to each other and you were like stacked on top of every one else! We didn't like that. We also liked having more grass the gravel.

And the bathrooms are top notch at the Wilderness, EXTREMELY clean and maintained.

Also when we go we end up staying at least a week (cause we have been living in NYC till this year) and usually actually three weeks as it is such a long drive we just use all the vacation time in one shot and stay the whole time there. Any way, there would always be rainy days, (heck even living close it seems like I never escape the rain there! lol) any way the game room was always a nice option of going to during the rain with the kids. And like was said if you forgot some little thing it was nice to just get it there even if it was more expensive. And, they used to give free coffee if you bought their mugs, but I'm not sure if they are still doing that in the wilderness mugs or not. One thing we did like though was the FRESH hot bakery stuff from SDC in the morning, came straight from Eva's and Delila's (sp) bakery at SDC there in the mornings. mmmmm nothing like starting the day off with a danish from the bakery! lol And not have to stand in line for such! lol

cadronboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:56:59 AM »
Well my daughter and I ended up staying at the wilderness. With rain on the way and being during the week they promised me tent sites would be empty and not muddy with the weather. They were right. High n dry and all alone. I don't think id like it during crowded times, as the tent sites are literally 6 feet from each other! But it worked for a wed night in sept.  The park was just as empty. With rain all day and 20° temp drop we had whole place TP ourselves.  Great for photo ops and 6 yr olds hate lines anyway!  While she hated fire in the hole, she loved powder keg and the headin' west show, so I can't complain! 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »
glad you had a good visit.  any day at the city is good, and with on complaints?!  Its a grea trip!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 09:31:07 PM »

Do you tent camp or have a camper? Just curious, we've only stayed at Tall Pines once when Compton Ridge was in "transition" and liked it fine, but CR will always be our 1st love. Seems Tall Pines has a pretty loyal following though.

Just noticed your question as I was reading back through the thread.  We have a trailer -- 26' but no slide.  We used to camp regularly at the Wilderness in a tent (gave that up after we got flooded out there really bad one time -- everything soaked -- tent, sleeping bags, clothes, etc.), then in a pop-up (camped there in the snow), and then in our trailer -- but as I said, finally gave it up after being forced to park twice in a space really too short for our trailer (and larger sites were available).

Usually at Tall Pines we camp in the back in a pull through site.  We really like camping at the state park but we have to have wi-fi now for business reasons.  And it is much easier to use the computer at the campsite 2 or 3 times a day than to lug a computer to some place that has free wi-fi 2 or 3 times a day.

We have checked out Compton Ridge recently and may give it another try some day.