Author Topic: Remember  (Read 4455 times)

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Remember
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »
Hey all out there, does anyone remember the water slide acrossed the street from sdc campground? If so do you have any pictures? I have alot of fond memories of that place. We always camped at Compton ridge campground. I remember being in live with the life guard there at the bottom 1985 or 1986. She was about 17 I think. I would love to talk or see some photos of that place.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Remember
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
I wish I had photos of the "Wet and Wild Waterslide." I did enjoy a few hours at the waterslide in 1980 with a few fellow Junior Dugans. We had a blast. It seems to me the SDC waterslide was closed about '81 or '82, after Whitewater opened. I guess they closed it for fear of competing with themselves. I never remember seeing the waterslide packed to capactity when I drove through, as I did frequently. Maybe it was pulled out for lower than expected performance.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:43:36 PM »
Not that any information is given up here...but there is an existing conversation about the same slide so do not think that you are the only one out there looking for stuff about the slide Avalanche!
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=522.360

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
Ok thanks I will look for it. Thank you!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »
I think they closed the slide in the early 90s my wife and I were only dating when I took her there for the first time. Anyway I also was told it was closed due to insurance reasons and lack of business. I also remember being disappointed that it was tore down. Around the same time all the resorts around there started to remove all the diving boards and slides from the pools.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »
Hey all out there, does anyone remember the water slide acrossed the street from sdc campground? If so do you have any pictures? I have alot of fond memories of that place. We always camped at Compton ridge campground. I remember being in live with the life guard there at the bottom 1985 or 1986. She was about 17 I think. I would love to talk or see some photos of that place.

If you have a facebook account, become friends with Compton Ridge, they have some older photos on there. None of the water slide though.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
I remember it!  I was only old enough to ride it one summer and I think you had to be 10 to ride.  So that means it closed around 93 or 94.  We would stay at the SDC campground and walk across the street to the waterslide.  It was great!  I think we have some pictures.  I'll take a look when I have a chance. 

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »
That would be great. I have so many fond memories of that place! And it's a shame you only were able to do it one summer. But at least you did get too go. I can remember going over too sdc campground just to walk around or swim in there pool. They had a great diving board man could you get some great hight of of that board. Good game room also!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
does anyone remember on 76 the main drag, they used to have a machanical bull? kind of a western theme area

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »
I think I posted our most embarrasing family experience on the other thread about this (so I won't go into it again here), but I loved that slide ALMOST as much as a visit to the City.   

My favorite part was the entryway into the dispatch pools with the waterfall.   It was just so well themed!....and you could slide at night!  Bonus!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »
Boy I would love to a picture of that slide. Have we finally found something Rube doesn't have in his collection?  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »
lol i think we have!! yeah the waterfall was great.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
Indeed...I have no slide photos (or slide slides!).

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »
I remember using it once while being in Branson, it was a blast.
SDC has always made a great past to remember