Author Topic: Attention Hunters  (Read 4380 times)

T. Jefferson

• View Profile
Attention Hunters
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
If you are a Hunter or a gun owner please do not give your hard earned money to Silver Dollar City!  The Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation, owners of SDC, is very anti-gun and anti-second amendment.  They have spent tremendous amounts of money to get gun control legislation passed and/or pro-second amendment legislation defeated.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Attention Hunters
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
Yes, it's most unfortunate the stance that Pete Herschend and others in the family have taken on gun issues, but I don't think HFEC as a whole is going to have a stance on the issue (that I know of). They don't allow any type of carry on their property, but you can hardly hold it against them considering the dangers of their operations.

I would like to hear them explain more of their stance on the issue, given the families contributions in the recent past...

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »
I am a gun owner, I do hunt, I Do beleive in the right to bear arms. I do have a license to carry a concealed weapon.

I also will spend my "hard earned" money wherever i please.

AND if that is SDC so be it!

I may even decide to buy a hand tooled holster or scabbard for my weapons there..

If you have an opinion on this topic i would suggest you mention it or suggest it. DONT tell us what to do.  You will find out this is the wrong forum for giving orders.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »
Hmmm. I've worked there for many years and never heard that. Not saying it's not true, but they sure don't promote that philosophy on park. Until recently, they sold and demonstrated black powder rifles and pistols on park, and the reason they don't any more is that the market for them slowed down.

And I'm an avid hunter as well.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:22:43 PM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:42:09 PM »
I think what the OP is concerned with are Pete and Jack Herschend's involvement in trying to get some of Missouri's concealed carry laws stopped. From what I've heard they noted concerns with having people carry guns into the park. That's hardly an issue though, as the law certainly does not and would never force them to allow people to do so. Criminals will still carry guns and other weapons no matter what of course. The measures have since passed. SDC has yet to put up "no carry" signs, but their rules ban all weapons. They don't have any measures of security in place though, so there's no way to enforce anything anyway, but concealed carry people are always extremely vigilant about respecting the rules of private establishments, so if anyone ever carries a gun into SDC it won't be one of us. :-X

It's definitely a stance I'm wholeheartedly against, but it takes more than a political disagreement to keep me away from the park.  ::)
I would like to hear more about their actual reasoning though. I haven't been able to find much about them talking about it.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
Is SDCFans.com really the best place to come, and push political agendas? ::)

Speaking of carrying guns, if the Herschend family is so bent out of shape over gun control, then why do they allow so many character actors to promote gun usage with blank shooting guns, and why do they allow some of the security officers inside the park to carry real guns in their holsters?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:49:59 AM by Ozark BBQ »

T. Jefferson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »
Sanddunerider.....I apologize if I came accross as "telling you what to do".  That certainly wasn't my intention.  If you want to use your money to undermine your constituional rights that is certainly your perogative.  My intention was to inform (not tell) people with my shared values that by spending money at SDC they are contributing to a anti-second amendment orgainization......(possibly unkowingly).

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
Sanddunerider.....I apologize if I came accross as "telling you what to do".  That certainly wasn't my intention.  If you want to use your money to undermine your constituional rights that is certainly your perogative.  My intention was to inform (not tell) people with my shared values that by spending money at SDC they are contributing to a anti-second amendment orgainization......(possibly unkowingly).

It also rubs people the wrong way when you only have 3 posts, and all of them are on this topic. 

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
I grew up hunting and fishing all my life.  I like guns and think all that choose to have one legally, can have one.  There are businesses all over the country that might say they believe in something we don't, but we still buy their product anyway.  If they believe that, then why do they allow the guns in the park that the characters use.  They shoot prop bullets, but still hold the image of a gun being used.  Can't believe everything you hear.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 06:27:40 PM »
With that logic, Disney, Target, and many others would be out for you.
We would not be able to go see the latest Kevin costner film, watch the "OWN" Oprah Network, or listen to the latest Sting or Lenny Kravitz album. (Not that I would choose any of those...but by paying these celebrities(and MANY, MANY others) with your viewing/ listening, you also are supporting anti gun laws.

http://gunowners.org/fs0302.htm
The list may suprise you.

Hate the player, not the game.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »
thats quite a list rube// ;D   THANKS!

I stated my thoughts on this topic already. 

enuf sed!

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »
As a matter of fact, I do avoid certain companies' products whenever possible for this reason, but lobbying against specific laws for specific reasons do not rabid anti-RKBA advocates make.  I disagree with their stance, but they do not demonize firearms OR their owners, simply forbid carry in the park.  As a practical matter, they lost the political fight but maitain their own policy on their own property.  They have THAT right. 

Frankly, for all we know, they hunt, too. 

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »
I try to avoid as much of those on that list as possible also. I'm not always successful but I do try. There are several other lists that I consult when shopping (not saying Christmas for one example) and do my best to spend my money with either like minded or neutral organizations which I believe is the stance most corporations should have. They're in business to provide a good or service for a profit.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett