Author Topic: Bev. Hillbillies / SDC TV Alert!  (Read 7317 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Bev. Hillbillies / SDC TV Alert!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 06:33:33 AM »
AND  i was wondering about the wagon granny was selling the "medicine" and "mud" out of. 

is that something that was there then, gone now.  Or has it been revamped into something else?

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
So I have a question
Was just watching the Beverly Hillbillies and was wondering about the Hotel. Back then is that what the interior actually looked liked?
No.
We have discussed this on another thread. It is a soundstage.  :)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
Hey tinaalsgirl,

Are you still in Independence? I can point you to another Henning spot. Do you know or remember where Beebe's Batteries is on 24 Highway?? Right behind it is a big grassy open area where a few steps go up to a house that isnt there anymore. That's where Paul lived as a child thru his teen years.
Andymeets1880s

cocodane3

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »
Dang I wish I reD this sooner

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 05:43:11 PM »
DID the inside of the hotel on Beverly Hillibillies reflect the interior design of the ice cream parlor at the time? Well, not really. The room on TV appears to be roughly the same size, but it was not decorated like that, it really was not too much different than the main room is today, although decoration is different. The interior of the hotel on TV was shot at the regular CBS TV set in California. Only the exterior of the hotel was shot at SDC.

-

The medicine wagon in Beverly Hillbillies is the same one that was at SDC during that time. Prior to Rainmaker, the Medicine Show featured a "huckster" professor who made wild claims about the benefits of his home made drug. At the time, candy "medicine" was sold after the show to the kids. Of course, nowadays you could not be politically correct selling candy "medicine" to kids. The funny little medicine show was shipped to SDC in Tennessee, and was also utilitzed for a time during the Dollywood days in some fashion or another. I was surprised in my August, 2010 visit to the park to see what I think is the original medicine wagon set up next to Carrie's Candle Shop. All "medicine wagon" signs have been removed from it, and it has been painted differently...but it appears to me to be the real medicine wagon from long ago. We would have to check with Zephon or Copper or any other current citizens who participate her to verify that. I think the medicine wagon is simply used as a stage nowadays for some of the specialty acts that pass through town, or maybe by some of the resident musicians and entertainers for occasional shows.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
I still miss "Piano Pete" from the old days at Hannah's.  I was wondering if anyone from this site has been in the upper floor of the Hotel/Hannah's?  If so what's it like up there?  I've seen "street shows" where citizens come out the door of the upper rooms.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »
Two photos of the Medicine Wagon in it's heyday at SDC at the Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 06:03:59 PM »
I miss Piano Pete, too!  Upstairs at the ice cream parlor was used for many years as a staging area for the street troupe. Storage for props, and an area to change clothes and take a break. Don't know what it's used for now. Zephon, Copper, or other current citizens part of this group will have to respond.

Let me try the flickr site address again as it did not appear to work on my last posting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan