Author Topic: Wilderness Church  (Read 4219 times)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Wilderness Church
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:26 AM »
I have long known that the church building was brought to the City from another place, but I had never heard from where.  The other day, I read somewhere on the 'net--and therefore come here to ask the experts for confirmation, knowing how inaccurate random posts on the 'net can be--that it came from the Wilson Creek area.  Is that true?  If so, from exactly where?

pintrader

Re: Wilderness Church
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »
The church was originally built in 1849 along Bear Creek in Stone County, which is near Galena Mo.  Hugo Herschend purchased it in 1953 for $100 and the pieces sat around till it was reassembled around 1960.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:35:24 AM »
It was my understanding the building served as a school until reassembled at SDC when they built the little steeple/bell tower area at the front of it. I'm not an expert here, and only have seen bits and pieces about the old hewn log buildings scattered in various publications over the years. I know a SDC employee made the pulpit from a tree on the location. Of course, the big picture window offered a commanding view of the lake at one point, but you will notice they have let some trees grow up and block part of the view. There has been a lot of modern developent along the lake in recent years, and now the view is not so 1880s.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
Of course, the big picture window offered a commanding view of the lake at one point, but you will notice they have let some trees grow up and block part of the view. There has been a lot of modern developent along the lake in recent years, and now the view is not so 1880s.

That not so 1880's view is probably the reason they let the trees grow up! :D

Here is what the Silver Dollar City's website says about the church. "This authentic country church is a vintage log chapel originally built in 1849 on Bear Creek near Branson. The structure was dismantled log by log, lovingly rebuilt in its current location, and dedicated on July 10, 1960. The giant sycamore tree that once stood on the site was hand carved into the church's pulpit by Lester Vining, and is still used today. Experience the peaceful charm of Silver Dollar City's Wilderness Church."

This just echoes the comments already made.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:29 AM »
Would Rube or anyone have a picture of the church in its old location? That'd be neat to see.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:12:32 AM »
I knew this would be the place to get the straight skinny.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
I have seen 1 photo in a book somewhere, but I have none in my possession unfortunately. Now you all know what to get be for Christmas !