Author Topic: New Diving Bell Photos  (Read 5698 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
New Diving Bell Photos
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
I was cruising through the photos on the SDC Facebook Website, and found two vintage photos of the diving bell crew, circa 1982, posted by a contributor to the site, LuAnn Goggin Patterson. I don't know who LuAnn is, but I assume she was a guest visiting with her family at the time. One photo shows my old pal, Greg Roberts, the other shows two unidentified Juniors in the "Riverfront" area standing on the street with visitors (their backs to the camera). Hope you like 'em...I posted them on my Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: New Diving Bell Photos
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:14 PM »
Awesome find Junior! Boy, it is amazing how much direct interaction the Juniors had with guest at the park, even when not “performing.” They were essentially front line representatives, and the “face” of Silver Dollar City.

Greg Roberts sure knew how to put on a smile for the camera. Thanks for sharing the classic shots here!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »
Greg was one of those guys with a "pretty boy face" and always did well finding a girl for date night. Mr. Smoooooooth! LOL  ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »
You speak of him in the past tense. Did he pass away or something?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
Nope, Greg is still around. He visits the park from time to time, and has spent time visiting with our old boss, Randy, who is still on park in management. I have not seen Greg since about 1984. Understand he is doing well. I really wish we could have a "Junior" reunion at SDC. I could probably track down about 15 to 20 former Juniors for this, but it would be probably 100-150 people you would have to try to find. At least a half dozen former diving bell people still work at SDC, at least another half a dozen or so live within an hour or so of the park. Some live as far away as California, Nashville, TN, Kansas City, St.Louis and elsewhere. Most were like me, college students, and have long since moved into their professions...I was a radio broadcaster, one guy studied to be a Russian interpreter, others worked for Disney, some moved into SDC management, some continue to perform at various venues like SDC, Shepherd of the Hills, and elsewhere...one has his own entertainment company. Time has proven that Uncle Rube was wrong when he said Junior "was dumber than a box of rocks," and asked "why did my sister have to have a boy when she needed a hog?"  I was lucky to be included among some young, fun guys who went on and became the talented and responsible adults our parents hoped we would turn out to be.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »
Nice find Junior!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »
I've added to the Flickr site posted above a group of 10 diving bell group and individual tintypes from the years 1979 through 1983. You can see a tintype of Terry Sanders as he looked as Junior in 1980, the first season he worked at SDC, plus several group tintypes that show most of the diving bell crew members, plus a few individual tintypes taken over the years that show me dressed in costume as Junior. Hope you enjoy! ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
I added a Rube Dugans Diving Bell gallery to SDCfans.com! Now you don't have to go to the Flickr site to view the gallery photos. Go to the homepage and look under photo galleries then click on the diving bell and enjoy the shots. -JUNIOR

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
Nice contributions Junior! You’re spoiling us. :P

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
I have added a second photo gallery to the home page showing the concept development and construction of the diving bell. Enjoy.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:34:41 AM »
Just curious about how you all feel about the photo galleries on the home page about the diving bell and float trip I put out in the last week. Has anybody looked at them, and how do you like them? Perhaps if time permits, I can dig up some other stuff to put on a photo gallery. Tell me what you are interested in and I will see if I can find it for you.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:10 AM »
The Diving Bell picture are awesome! It’s great to see the ride during development, and construction. Those are some rare gems you have there!

I also enjoyed the Float Trip pictures as well. The park just had more of an “authentic” feel to it back in those days. It’s hard to explain, but Silver Dollar City was definitely not so commercialized back then.

Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to more! ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:11:56 AM »
very nice junior,  anything you add is always a benefit to us... thanks

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
While visiting SDC today I stopped by the DUGAN TRADING COMPANY and introduced myself to the shop manager. I told her who I was and asked if it would be OK on my next visit to present her shop with some framed copies of the old diving bell crews to place on the walls. She was interested and said she would ask her boss for permission to display them. So I think I'll present them with some photos on my next trip. I'm just tryin' to keep the memory of the diving bell alive at SDC! I hope they will be receptive to displaying the photos.  :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:12 PM »
That would be awesome Junior!

Returning a piece of Silver Dollar City to Silver Dollar City would be a really nice touch. I hope that they will go for it.