Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden dead!  (Read 9488 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Osama Bin Laden dead!
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »
I also have my opinions on all this but I guess I will wait for a "Heated Talk" forum before I get into those. Just kiddin.

But I remember exactly what I was doing when I found out about the attacks. I was in second grade, and this is one of the few things I remember crystal clear about elementary school actually. We had just gotten back from lunch, and my teacher explained to us what was happening. It is rare for teachers to talk about current world events with students, especially in elementary school. I did not completely understand what was going on, and I didn't understand what was really going on. I had no idea what the World Trade Center was or how big of a threat this was to our country.

When I got home that day, my parents had a long discussion with my sister and I about what was going on. This is when I began to comprehend that maybe this was serious. Even though it was constantly on the news after the attacks, I never remember feeling scared for my safety, probably because I was only in elementary school, and didn't have a full grasp about the situation.

However, it is amazing how some things stick with us and some do not. I remember everything about that day. I guess this just goes to show that 9/11 had a great impact on all Americans, even the young ones at the time. I know someday my children will ask me about that day, and I will have to re-live and explain what happened to them, and I will be able to in perfect detail.

God bless USA.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:31:03 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 03:14:50 AM »
I was reading this and thinking about days/events that I rememeber....

911 obviously......

I dont remember the walk on the moon< i was in grade school.

I do remember the shuttle blowing up, I think that was in 86. rememebr watching the replays on tv while at work. terrible day for us all.

of course there are many more events that effected all of us as a country and individuals, these were a couple that come up in discussion from time to time.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 07:46:58 AM »
In 1986, I was in the sixth grade when the Challenger exploded. I was home sick that whole week.

In 1995, i was in Panama on pass  the day the Murrah building was blown up

in 2001, I was @ Tinker AFB working as a government contractor, when the towers came down.

An interesting side note, on July 4, 1993, just a few months after the first attack on the World trade center, I was in New York City. Me and a group of my soldier buddies from FT Monmouth, NJ spent the day there.