Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271580 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #510 on: July 23, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »
Finally got some of my photos up: http://sdcfans.com/gallery.php?page=1&g=17

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #511 on: July 23, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
I'm not saying that you are incorrect, but are you sure that is for the station?
I thought the station was going to utilize the old Carousel Building... but that might just be the queue.  IDK
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #512 on: July 23, 2009, 10:41:50 PM »
Who knows, but it sure looks like a station at least. I was thinking they might put in a new shop in the Carousel Barn and weave the queue around where Gandy Dancer used to be. Maybe that's why they're not really doing too much with the building this year.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #513 on: July 24, 2009, 09:05:35 PM »
Finally got some of my photos up: http://sdcfans.com/gallery.php?page=1&g=17

Your updates to GE - the cow and the telegraph displays - have actually been there since GE opened.  The only change is that they put plexi on the telegraph display to keep people from tearing up the display (which includes a push-button phone BTW!).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #514 on: July 24, 2009, 09:34:02 PM »
^Really? I could have sworn they were new. How have I missed them these 3 years? Maybe I was too transfixed on the fruit pyramid that seems to have disappeared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #515 on: July 24, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »
Maybe that's why they're not really doing too much with the building this year.

I was just going off the concept art which portrays the building as a queue area.
Notice that the backside of the building is "open" but boarded up.  That's where the loading of the boats will be -- at least that's what I was told the last time I asked.
SWOOSH

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 25, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »
Can't wait to watch the boys on this ride.  Someone will get wet when they all get together.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #517 on: July 25, 2009, 03:08:46 PM »
^^Huh, I never even looked that closely at the concept art to see that. If that's the case, I wonder what that thing is?  Maybe it will be a cave? THAT would really make the ride: an old AP-style cave with effects and animatronics. Not only would it make a better transition for the area, being so close to the train station, but it would also make this far more than just another typical splash battle. Not that anyone should get their hopes up, that's just a wild, very hopeful guess.

I'm still just thrilled that some of the old landing elements may be used. There's obviously a full plan behind this attraction, I'm excited to see more details start to appear.

So the details we know (or think we know) so far are:
  • One of the big trees from the playground is staying as an island in the middle of the ride (see, still some influence from Mary  ;) )
  • Watermill and trough from corkscrew pass will be re-hooked up through the new area, hopefully interacting with the ride (maybe a few leaky points?)
  • Old Ropes tower looks like it will remain
  • Carousel barn will be station or queue, unless things have changed since the original concept (which they might have)

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 07, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
Was at the City four times last week and never really saw any work activity going on at the new ride area. One day while walking through the Landing I did hear a single piece of heavy equipment operating. But when passing back through the area it had stopped. Not much going on there last week.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »
It would be nice if they would officially committ to opening in 2010 with a massive PR campaign they could not undue (like just painting over the wood fence announcements).

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #520 on: August 07, 2009, 09:54:45 PM »
It's still August, there's no rush to get it done right away, especially if that will deter guest experience. Most of the heavy earthwork seems to be done, so as soon as they're ready to really start construction again, I'll bet we'll see a lot of concrete all at once. That's what I'm assuming all those stacks of wood are for.

As for PR, I'll bet it will be as good as TGS's PR was. It's been 3 years since SDC had anything to advertise, so hopefully they're not out of touch.

sdcforever

« Reply #521 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
I think it's definitely still planned for 2010; they've done a lot of work already.  I expect most of the major work to be done this fall (perhaps after hours) and some to even be put off until Jan.-March 2010.  I'm wondering if RiverBlast (if that's still the official name) will open with the park in March (like AP and Lost River) or if it will open in late May (like the WaterWorks Waterboggan).  If it won't open until late May then they may even put off finishing the ride until April or May 2010.

Whatever happens, I don't expect an official announcement until early to mid-October.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 08, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »
Since they have lost ground to the other regional parks for additions- they should be out front on this and start early.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #523 on: August 08, 2009, 09:34:59 PM »
Since the main components of the actual ride are on property somewhere, construction should continue as planned - and after the park closes in the evening (That's what the lights are for, right?).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 08, 2009, 09:48:59 PM »
Answering SDC Rules question....Dollywood opens their Splash Battle ride when the park opens in the spring. We were down there for spring break in April this year and it was running...not many people were on it but it was running. Which brings me to my next thought of why SDC wanted to go with another water ride in the first place.  As a park that stays open until Christmas you would think they would want to put things in that would help increase capacity even in times of cooler weather.  You look at that area now with the Lost River, Geyser Gulch, the waterboggans and soon to be River Battle and there's not a lot in that area from October through Christmas. I realize the Barn Swing is that direction and there are a couple of theatre venues but it can get pretty slow in that area in colder weather.  As far as building the new ride, I always say make hay while the sun is shining.  Might as well get busy on it and git-r-done.  It may rain all fall or get really cold early.