Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271696 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »
I guess this is why they are starting so early. They need to get done what they can before their limited off-season so that they can use that time to work on what can't be closed. Besides, they might be tired of taking chances with weather and construction.  ::)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2008, 11:08:41 PM »
Hopefully they have learned from this last off season. Someone asked how are they going to get equipment in this space? They will probably be taking things a part to start. Then they will be doing major work in the evening. Then in August-December there will be days they are closed, so they will have ample opportunity to work. Hopefully the rain won’t hurt them.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2008, 12:36:24 AM »
I'm curious if they are going to try to get the Balloon Chase and Carousel back open in new locations before the end of the season.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2008, 01:25:49 AM »
I guess this explains why the balloons weren't repainted for this season.  They really look bad on the top.

Copper, is the spiral walkway (We call it the corkscrew.) still open.  If so, doesn't it give a clear view of the blocked off area?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:19 AM »
When I got to the park yesterday this was one of the first areas I wanted to look. The fence is actually pretty tall and when I saw the signage I knew what we were getting. I've said all along that I want a new coaster in '09 but I guess that won't be happening. So I've got to look at the positives that are already being listed here. I'm sure the theming will be great and it'll probably be a really fun ride. I'm wondering how it will fit into the area though. As Steve said, it'll make the waterfront come to the center of the park. I also agree that I want it to kind of be hidden away but I don't know how they'd do that.

Well, I do feel cheated but I don't think I'll feel that way once we get the ride details and more photos. Unless it looks a lot like Dollywood's version.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
this may have already been asked, but does anyone know what else is going away from this area besides the balloons?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »
^Carousel and it's not confirmed but it's assumed the rope climb area.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2008, 01:47:46 PM »
^Carousel and it's not confirmed but it's assumed the rope climb area.

This ride area is going to be pretty big, so I have a feeling the rope climb area is on the way out.  I can't think of anywhere else it might go, plus in this day and age it's probably considered a safety hazard and lawsuit waiting to happen, so I think it'll be gone for good.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
i guess its time to start getting some last minute pictures of this whole area.... its the last time we'll see it like this.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2008, 08:08:07 PM »
I hope they move the Balloon Race somewhere else in the park instead of throwing it out entirely.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »
You know, now that I think about it when the family and I were there a few weeks ago, all of the water features were turned off from the corkscrew down past the carousel and beyond.  I bet they were preparing for the construction.  I remember telling the wife I had never seen SDC with its water features turned off like that.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2008, 08:12:14 PM »
I hope they move the Balloon Race somewhere else in the park instead of throwing it out entirely.

The balloons will have a new hope, possibly by as early as Christmas. It's just too popular and favorited to get rid of.

As I've said before, I'm hoping they can find a way to re-utilize the ropes area without taking it out completely. I can see them tearing down what is currently there, but I think they should put something up to replace it. I mean, it really made the area.

By the way, if Huck and Tom are taking the park by storm again, what does this mean for the tree house?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:15:14 PM by shavethewhales »

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2008, 09:36:50 PM »
This makes me feel old. Attractions that are apart of my childhood have become outdated. I do hope they keep the balloons. I can live without the ropes though.

sdcforever

« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2008, 08:29:55 AM »
By the way, if Huck and Tom are taking the park by storm again, what does this mean for the tree house?

If the ride concept artwork is any indication, it looked like the treehouse was incorporated into the ride.

I think that looks a lot like the treehouse.  It'd be cool if it was, anyway.  If it is part of the ride, I hope they equip it with waterguns! :D  How cool would that be?  It'd be like back when I was little, when the treehouse was equipped with toy guns.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2008, 11:43:09 AM »
Yes but if you go by the concept art, the treehouse is not accessible to the public, but rather out in the middle of the bog/lake/pond.  Perhaps they'll move it to become a themed element or instead build a smaller new one and then remove the old one?
SWOOSH