Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271630 times)

sdcforever

Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »
An Ice house wouldn't look out of place just about anywhere in the park. I mean, there were a few around in the 1800's. It would actually fit in perfectly up on the homestead - but we have to remember the issue with the cave.

What about the whole new area with the 2nd train depot rumor? Maybe that ties into this?

I had forgotten about the issue with the cave.  I guess that does pose problems if you were to put a major ride in the homestead.

Wouldn't we all be thrown off if they weren't planning a new coaster for 2009, but instead announced the whole new area, with a major new ride, for 2010 or later?  Of course I don't think that would really happen (Coaster Con would probably feel a little down), but I think there's a slight possibility of it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
^That would be something. I mean, there's something coming because we pretty much know for sure that they'll be spending their largest capital expenditure to date in 2009, but what if it's a collection of other things and not just a major ride? I wouldn't be let down. I want to see another coaster eventually, but right now I'm yearning more to see the city expand as a city and not as a collection of rides and random new areas.

I think from a business point of view it would be wiser to use this year to build a new feature ride, then use the anniversary to bring out the SDC nostalgia and maybe an expansion based on that.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2008, 05:40:29 PM »
Amen to that.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2008, 09:03:49 PM »
^That would be something. I mean, there's something coming because we pretty much know for sure that they'll be spending their largest capital expenditure to date in 2009, but what if it's a collection of other things and not just a major ride? I wouldn't be let down. I want to see another coaster eventually, but right now I'm yearning more to see the city expand as a city and not as a collection of rides and random new areas.

If they don't put in a new coaster this year I will be let down just because I have been planning and imagining everything this new coaster can be and if they don't build a new coaster next year I will be pretty bummed. It's not like I'm a huge thrill junkie or anything though (although I do love them).

I think from a business point of view it would be wiser to use this year to build a new feature ride, then use the anniversary to bring out the SDC nostalgia and maybe an expansion based on that.

This is what I want them to end up doing. It makes the most sense for them, and it makes the most sense for us.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
It will be a coaster, because Brad said at Coaster Christmas that the attraction for next year will be something that will excite all of the coaster enthusiasts coming in 09 for Coaster Con
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2008, 11:04:51 AM »
It will be a coaster, because Brad said at Coaster Christmas that the attraction for next year will be something that will excite all of the coaster enthusiasts coming in 09 for Coaster Con

That's what I'm hoping for.  A major, new, well-planned, well-designed, and well-integrated coaster for 2009.  Then a new area fro 2010 or later to heighten awareness of SDC's nostalgia for their 50th anniversary.  That would be perfect.  :)

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »
Okay here are 2 ideas I had for a 2009 coaster:

1. A mostly in-doors Euro-fighter themed to getting lost inside Marvel Cave or Marvel Cave being haunted.

2. A LARGE GCI Woody with Milleniam-Flyer Trains themed to adventures in the Ozark Mounatains

sdcforever

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2008, 09:03:51 AM »
^I like both of those ideas!  But I like the second one more because I think it allows for more creative freedom.  And it would really allow for the coaster to be integrated into the terrain and the theme of the park.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2008, 12:05:21 PM »
Johnny those are both excellent ideas... I have a similar idea myself of a haunted indoor marvel cave coaster..... lol....

if they ever tire of it being a cave I have a great coaster idea that could take guests through the hour walk through tour in a few minutes lol

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »
A nice, long, exciting coaster that shows you the beauty of the Ozarks sounds great. That's one of the reasons TNT is so great. My family is going this fall so hopefully I"ll be able to get some good Work in Progress pics.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:32 PM »
I love both of Johnny's ideas and I'm sure they're all being thought out. I've been wanting a woodie but a trip through a mock Marvel Cave would be awesome. Just think of what they could do with that...they could take us through "undiscovered passageways" and everything!

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »
They could have many surprising drops like in Fire in the Hole except more frightening and the coaster would go through tight passageways.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »
So has anyone been by the park lately to check up on those flags? By now there may be more of them. Who knows, they may even be clearing land somewhere.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2008, 08:47:43 AM »
Shouldn't we be seeing signs of construction (other than flags) pretty soon? How long does it take to build a huge coaster? A few months I'd think so we should be seeing signs quickly, right?

sdcforever

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2008, 09:56:46 AM »
Shouldn't we be seeing signs of construction (other than flags) pretty soon? How long does it take to build a huge coaster? A few months I'd think so we should be seeing signs quickly, right?

From what I understand, roller coasters are normally planned years in advance, and designers usually have waiting lists numbered in years.  I would say a standard, pre-designed ride can take 1 year (to figure out how to integrate into the park, and then finish construction; not just to construct it), but a custom-made ride can take 4 to 5 years (but that is rare; normally it doesn't take nearly that long to design it, integrate it, and construct it).

I think even if SDC has paid for a custom-made ride, they've been planning this for several years.  If they say it'll be ready for 2009, then it will be.  This isn't a process that they just started last winter or this spring.  :)