Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271511 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2008, 09:42:42 AM »
I disagree with GE not having an identity.  I think that the area turned out wonderfully and really flows with the rest of the park.  If you think that GE is just a jumble of rides, I would hate to think of what you would think if you saw the County Fair area at Dollywood.

As far as the new ride/area -- Why couldn't it be over by the homestead off that direction from the town square area?   That area has not been utilized yet and would be a great way to spread out the crowds even more. 

I'm still not sold on the coaster by Echo Hollow/GE yet, but we'll see.

I know for a fact that they will eventually expand out past TGS, but not sure if it will be as early as next year or not. 
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »
I had never thought that since this was supposed to be their largest investment it might not be a woodie. That idea seems very likely once you think about it.

If the 2009 coaster isn't a woodie (I don't know what to think about this anymore) then I would suspect them to go with their own Mystery Mine type ride. This also seems very likely because of the Herschends always copying things off their own parks.

As for where this new coaster is going, I wonder if they even know yet. The prime area of course is between Grand Expo and Echo Hollow. I think the first year the Grand Expo was opened it was kind of odd to see all those rides in one area together. Since then, I think it has grown into a nice little area. If they placed a new coaster over by the Homestead area they would have to build up the area more for me to like it. Just placing a huge multi million dollar coaster in there would not work for me. They would have to build up the area similar to what they did with The Giant Swing.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »
^I agree with you, Coaster.  A multi-million dollar coaster thrown in the middle of the homestead would look very out of place.  They'd have to really do some theming to make it fit in.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 01:41:16 PM »
Actually, I think big coaster in the Homestead would look awesome, it's just a matter of how you perceive it. I don't think every major ride needs it's own themed area - just look at how ThuNderaTion fits in so well.

^^^Well, I'm not really saying that it's just a jumble of rides... I too think it was pulled off well, just not like I think it could be. To me it feels more like a quaint park surrounded by rides, which at this point pretty much fits the theme of the area. I just think a big ride plopped down next to it would throw it off. Of course, who am I to say what will or won't throw things off? It's easy to forget that the park has planned everything out, and I'm sure they won't go wrecking themes and throwing off atmospheres by throwing stuff around where it doesn't feel right. If they decide to put a huge coater by EH, they'll make it work. They always have.

I think by now though we've all pretty much shown that the evidence points directly at a major G-Fighter being the big 2009 project - so the question now is - what will it be like? Will they go with the mine theme again, or are they going to surprise us with some sort of out-of-the-box, wild, could-only-happen-at-SDC amazing theme?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 01:43:36 PM »
^I just think a huge new coaster would look kind of odd in an area that is supposed to depict life as the way it was in the 1880's. A woodie would look much better there than a G-Fighter in my opinion.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »
^^I wonder if the theme won't be an ice house.  That was an idea for an indoor/outdoor coaster not that long ago on a survey.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »
How about a double-track woodie?  A racer of some sort?

I agree with the ice house theme - that's out of the box from other parks (unless you count Mr. Freeze at SF, which I hate).  You know, would any of us guess that a theme park would do a tribute to tomato canning?  I'm always looking for out of the box ideas and not just a canned presentation.

And I could even accept the River Battle if they put the Twain theme into it.  That's something I hadn't considered, though this is probably not in the plan for the next couple of years from the sound of it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »
Her is a pie in the sky for a Twain Theme..A Steamboat Race!, Water race ride, Peddle powered? Lifts, drops, rapids, waterfalls, etc. Ideas?
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2008, 06:39:55 PM »
How about a double-track woodie?  A racer of some sort?

I agree with the ice house theme - that's out of the box from other parks (unless you count Mr. Freeze at SF, which I hate).  You know, would any of us guess that a theme park would do a tribute to tomato canning?  I'm always looking for out of the box ideas and not just a canned presentation.

And I could even accept the River Battle if they put the Twain theme into it.  That's something I hadn't considered, though this is probably not in the plan for the next couple of years from the sound of it.

Tomato canning? That would be way outside of the box. I think if they brought back the ice house is that it'd be very cool. My only problem with it would be is, where would it fit in with the rest of the park? It'd look odd in the two areas we are talking about mostly, the Grand Expo and the Homestead area. I guess it could work (or the Herschends would make it work) in between the Grand Expo and Echo Hollow.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:40:42 PM by Coaster »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2008, 06:43:53 PM »
An Ice house wouldn't look out of place just about anywhere in the park. I mean, there were a few around in the 1800's. It would actually fit in perfectly up on the homestead - but we have to remember the issue with the cave.

What about the whole new area with the 2nd train depot rumor? Maybe that ties into this?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
^Yes but the second train depot isn't supposed to come for another few years and this coaster is supposed to come next year.

I just think I'm biased on this whole situation. I would like to see the Homestead area be left alone. It is one of the only areas of the park that hasn't changed over time and it sticks to the theme of the park very well. The only coaster I would want to see put in the Homestead area would be a woodie--and even that would have to be themed very heavily and be the absolute most amazing thing SDC has ever done for me to fully appreciate what they did to the area.

Just think how beautiful the town square is. You can barely tell your in a theme park. If they put a woodie coaster in the Homestead area it would change the whole outlook on the entire park something that I don't think the park needs. IMO (I think I'm repeating myself) the Homestead area needs to be left alone.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2008, 09:30:50 AM »
Wow this is the first i've heard of a seconfd train depot!
Since walking all the way around the park can get kind of tiring I love that idea!
Also, you know we are going to get a new coaster eventually and I think if they theme it well it will fit in fine.
If you think about it, the Giant Barn Swing doesn't really fit the 1800s theme either.
The barn looks like a regular present day barn.
It looks like some kind of farming town's fair which some guy who owns a farm with a barn is hosting.
-oh yeah and don't get mad at me because I know we are supposed to only say good things about Silver Dollar City "it's the best place in the world how dare you say something like that YOU MUST DIEEEEEEEEEEE"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »
1.  Yes, tomato canning.  That's actually the theme of RED GOLD HALL, now the first part of Grand Expo.

2.  Wouldn't the ice house need some sort of river or creek nearby in order to fit in?  Isn't that where the ice would have come from?  That would pin it closer to the Landing area.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2008, 10:46:09 AM »
If you think about it, the Giant Barn Swing doesn't really fit the 1800s theme either.
The barn looks like a regular present day barn.
It looks like some kind of farming town's fair which some guy who owns a farm with a barn is hosting.
-oh yeah and don't get mad at me because I know we are supposed to only say good things about Silver Dollar City "it's the best place in the world how dare you say something like that YOU MUST DIEEEEEEEEEEE"

Actually the Swing fits well.  Barns have been around for a long time, especially painted wooden barns.  We've all had some issues with the carnival games in the Swing area, though, so your point about the fair is well put.

As for your last comment, we've all been critical of SDC on several occasions.  We feel we have an interest in the park that exceeds that of the general guest, and we like to protect our interests.  We want the best quality, and we're disappointed when quality or theming doesn't meet our standards.  That means we try to keep out negative comments, but we do present constructive ones.  There's a difference.  Please understand that this site doesn't need to be one with a lot of sarcasm, profanity, or arguing.

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »
I got it ;).