Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271526 times)

Fury Fire Chief

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • You've got a great past ahead of you...
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #660 on: February 11, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
You have to remember that SDC and DW are completely different parks now a days.  Dollywood still prides itself on its theming.

There new project "Adventure Mountain is highly themed to the 1930's CCC.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 11, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
There is a ton of maintenance work going on all over the park.  Streets are dug up with new lines of one kind or another being laid, the upper part of Hannah's has been refaced and repainted, the water trough on top of the Mill Restaurant is being reconstructed, in addition to what has been taken out and the new stuff going in....lots of stuff going on.  I took a few pictures on Tuesday.

The Apple Butter Store by the entrance to American Plunge was deconstructed because it was becoming structurally unsound.

You already know that Splash Harbor is gone.

And that the Waterboggan is gone...here is what still remains and some of it may be gone soon.  I heard today that anything going in at that location may be delayed for awhile.

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »
Some of the RiverBlast area pictures on SDC's Facebook page are even more recent than those I took Tuesday, but I'll post some anyway.

Loading building...from the corkscrew-

From the corkscrew-

From the corkscrew-

One of the water blast guns-

From the corkscrew-

From the corkscrew-

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #663 on: February 11, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
The Apple Butter Store by the entrance to American Plunge was deconstructed because it was becoming structurally unsound.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This better mean they're building a new, bigger apple butter store. Maybe it can take the old basket shop's place.

Oh and hey, I didn't notice until now that the base of that new fort/tower thing is made to look like a tree - pretty cool looking from that angle.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:18:19 PM by shavethewhales »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
More of RiverBlast

From the south end of the train depot-

From the north end of the train depot-

Another shot of a water blast gun-

They're getting ready to lift a section of the water trough into place, but in the lower left corner you see a worker using a chainsaw to carve or distress part of a structure-

Lifting a section of the water trough-

Getting close with it-

That's all I got for now.  Maybe I'll take another walk around the park in another couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:24:00 PM by Zephon »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 11, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
Unhappy to hear the Apple Butter Cabin is gone. It's been there since at least 1970. Good to see the photos of all the new construction. It really looks like RiverBlast is coming together well. Hate to hear maybe nothing much new in the tobaggan area for a while. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next in the area around the lake. Alot of change over this winter. I'll be excited to get to the park for a good look around this year.
Thanks again for the pictures!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 11, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »
If SDC is reading this:

Please, please, PLEASE re-build the apple butter shop! I love it!

Thanks for the pics of the Waterboggan. I hope they can fix that area up as quickly as possible.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:01:22 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 11, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »
They ddo not have much time to get the rest of that waterboggin ride out before they open for the season.  That's only 35 days left...    OMG....   that is only 35 days left until I will be riding Thunderation and Powderkeg, get to see glas blowing and candy making, get to eay bbq at the mine and smell bread baking at the bakery...    Oh I mean until my 4 and 6 year old girls get to enjoy the park... 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »
no apple butter store?????  depressing

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #669 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
This has been quite the day for updates - we just got some new photos in of the demolition of Splash Harbor and Waterboggin: http://sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=18

Splash Harbor is already a memory, and the Waterboggin is just a tower now. I wonder if they'll be able to re-use the tower for anything...

sdcforever

« Reply #670 on: February 12, 2010, 06:44:32 AM »
Wow, Zephon!  You really came through with your promise of pictures!  Thanks! ;D

I'm sure the Apple Butter Cabin will be back in some form or another.  It definitely had to go if it was structurally unsound.

Splash Harbor is already a memory, and the Waterboggin is just a tower now. I wonder if they'll be able to re-use the tower for anything...

They may be able to re-use the tower.  It might fit in with whatever new attraction is going into that space.  SDC loves to integrate past attractions with new ones.  I wonder how long the delay will be until something goes in there, if there is a delay?  2012?  2013? ???

No only is the Waterboggan tower left, but so is the arrival station.  Both stations are still intact, it's the slide structure that has been removed so far.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #671 on: February 12, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »
This has been quite the day for updates - we just got some new photos in of the demolition of Splash Harbor and Waterboggin: http://sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=18

You need to fix some of your captions
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 12, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »
Accuracy in the media? (Remember, I'm an old radio news reporter.)  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 12, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »
Wow. I have been so terribly busy for the past week, that I haven't had a chance to read ANY posts. I LOVED the apple butter shop. It was ALWAYS one of the first places that we would go once arriving at the park. We would look at the apple turnovers wishing we hadn't eaten that morning already, taste the salse, and apple butter, and whatever they had, and pick which one we would buy before leaving that afternoon. The will I would assume have another location. Even though it all can be bought in the General store, or the Ozark Marketplace. It was a bit tight in there on a busy day, but i liked to think of it as "quaint". RIP apple butter shop.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:45:40 AM by rubedugans »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 12, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
I added about 150 pics to my flicker account, from yesterday's visit.  I would've posted them yesterday (Did you see us running around with cameras, Zephon? lol), but had to work 13 hours & still dealing with setting up my new hard drive.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/sets/72157623418703266/
RIP Chippewa Lake Park