Author Topic: Dollywood 2012 Project - Wild Eagle  (Read 51601 times)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood 2012 Project
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2011, 08:48:30 AM »
As I had mentioned in the "refillable mugs" thread, we will be going to Dollywood this weekend, I'll be sure to relay as much as I see & find out.
We leave tomorrow morning @ 7 from Little Rock.  ;D
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »
Ah, it’s good to hear from another fellow Little Rock dweller! :)

Let us know how the refillable mugs go, and be sure to take lots of pictures of the new area if you are able.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
New teaser site for the 2012 attraction: http://www.dollywood.com/dollywood2012/landing.php

It shows an egg that's about to hatch, guessing that means its definitely a bird theme. Vertical construction should start in the next couple of months. They've already got a bunch of footers in place. Once vertical construction does start it only takes about a month or less to get all the steel up, then another few weeks to get the mechanical/electrical components in so they can start testing.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
Good catch shave! :)

Dollywood is like Silver Dollar City gone wild. Each attraction sort of focuses on its own independent theme. The bird, or flight concept is intriguing, and I am interested to see how it will all "hatch' out.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2011, 04:48:46 PM »
Have to watch the countdown and see what happens a time goes on...

Saaam!

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Celebration City-Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »
It's highly likely that's it a Wingrider, since there was a guest who asked a park management worker (or something like that) what the new ride would be, and he wasn't sure, but he said it was something that just opened in Italy. The track is also B&M, so there's another idea that its a Wingrider. The interesting thing is, is that they said something about not being able to pass 30 feet or something? Eh, I'm not sure what's going on.
| Formally "Thunderbolter" |

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
^It's been almost confirmed to be a wingrider for the past several months. There have been multiple accounts of employees coming straight out and saying as much, besides the fact that it is confirmed to be a first for the U.S. and the Wingrider model is the only model from B&M that hasn't come to the U.S. yet.

The bit about the low height was a misquote from an early article. I believe the actual highest point will be about 110' or so, with a first drop even larger than that down the side of a hill (a la Wildfire). There was another report that I posted a few posts back from a supposed employee that claimed there would be at least one inversion as tall as 220' and would be visible from the parking lot.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
Wow, very interesting!

I can't wait to see this thing in action. Although at Dollywood, the barnstormer theme would seem more appropriate for a wing rider rollercoaster than a bird.

Either way, I am sure it will be incredible ride!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
It has now been almost absolutely confirmed to be a wing-walker from the little snippets of the ride's layout the park has been releasing over the past week. The latest image, attached below, is clearly a blurred wing-walker train navigating a massive inversion. It looks like the rumors that this thing would have gargantuan loops might come true. It definitely seems like it will be the most intense wing-walker yet.

I was a little bummed they were getting one at first, seeing as Raptor at Gardaland was a little bit of a letdown as far as intensity goes, but each successive design that has been announced has gotten wilder. After looking at the recently announced X-Flight at Six Flags Great America, I'm getting pretty pumped to see this thing.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
Well, here we have it: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1086053#p1086053

It's just a tad smaller than it was rumored to be, with only a 135ft drop, but that's still the largest Wing Rider yet, and judging by the looks of it, it will be the most intense yet. The ride features 4 (maybe 5?) inversions, most of which tower over the park.

Sadly, it does look like it has been designed to stand out over the park. The hill that it is being built on is being used to prop it way up in the air rather than to give it much of a terrain advantage. It seems like a direct response to Carowind's massive Intimidator coaster that was introduced last year... We'll have to wait until the final product is finished, but it looks like they're trying to make Dollywood feel like a coaster park to compete with Carowinds, trashing decades of classic charm...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dollywood 2012 Project - Wild Eagle
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2011, 09:58:25 PM »
Triple posting now, I guess I'm the only interested in this ride on here  ;D.

I have a few mixed feelings towards the ride. It is in fact a big beautiful new B&M and therefore it will be an awesome, thrilling, and reliable ride for Dollywood, which is what they really wanted right now. However, it's also a bit short in actual ride length, and the drop is not as big as we had hoped, and it doesn't really follow the terrain at all, with the exception of the break run and parts of the final curves. It's definitely not the hyper wing-rider some (including myself) were hoping for, but it does have some nice big inversions and a couple of swooping turns in the trees.

The layout really suggests that they were trying to emulate both SDC's Wildfire and Carowind's Intimidator. It will tower above the park like Intimidator, but it's short, inversion-filled layout with helix finale is very much reminiscent of Wildfire. The more I look at it the more I'm sure that's what the primary influences were for this ride.

As of yet there are no mentions of any thematic elements whatsoever on this ride, which is somewhat odd because all the other B&M Wing coasters that have been announced or built use thematics heavily in their layouts. For DW's to be the only "vanilla" Wing coaster in existence would be quite out of character.

Finally, this ride is going to be heavily dogged by Six Flags Great America's new X-Flight coaster that was announced just a few days ago, which is exactly the same type of ride from the same manufacturer. The comparisons between these two rides are going to be endless as they are built over the course of this off-season. To be honest, X-Flight looks like a more interesting layout upon first glance. It has more inversions, more interesting inversions, and it has interactions with thematics. After all the hype, people were expecting DW's ride to blow everyone away, but in reality it may be simply on par or worse with a Six Flags ride.

Meh, it'll still be a great addition to Dollywood, and I'm really excited to see how the final product turns out, but I can't say I wasn't expecting a bit more after all the hype DW put out there this year... in fact, this is the first time I've felt anything but blown away by a HFEC announcement like this... maybe I'm just spoiled though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2011, 08:11:35 AM »
shave, as always you summed up the project very well..

my thoughts-  20 million!  WOW!

And 2 1/2 minute ride, quite a duration.

Nice for them..

SDC please,  whats next here..  share the wealth PTB!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2011, 11:28:05 PM »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2011, 07:08:51 AM »
After all the hype, people were expecting DW's ride to blow everyone away, but in reality it may be simply on par or worse with a Six Flags ride.
   Wildfire cost 14 million 10 years ago, figure inflation..............the costs of metals, I bet its on par as they had a hit with Wildfire and it eats the crap out of people, I am not sure about the winger coaster, the load time will certainly be longer.

Talking about the 6 flags coaster it looks pretty cool.
Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjh0_YwX0g

If Dolly wood doesn't put in the keyhole or some near misses with the poles they are really screwing up!
This effect of being separate from the track is VERY effective.   
We should only be so lucky.........

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2011, 06:39:09 AM »
Here's a link to a story and a video that was recently published in the Nashville newspaper, The Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111017/ENTERTAINMENT03/111017015/Dollywood-s-latest-ride-Wild-Eagle-taking-shape

(Generally links work for about 30 days to access the article for free.)