Author Topic: Dollywood 2012 Project - Wild Eagle  (Read 51608 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dollywood 2012 Project
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:29 PM »
Looks like DW may very well be getting a B&M after all: http://smarterthannot.tumblr.com/page/2
Lots of big track pieces apparently being tracked straight to Dollywood.

Seems strange that the track would be en route already, but manufacturers often supply track early, and parks will store it somewhere for months prior to the build.

It could still just be track headed for overseas shipping to Parc Asterix or something, but the more people have dug into this the more it looks like it is indeed for Dollywood.

Sooo.... Wingrider or sit-down? Either way I'm glad DW's getting a beemer. I wish it was headed here, but DW needs a good crowd pleaser and needs to stay competitive.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 10:35:18 PM »
well there ya go, big ole swing in 2011, and a coaster for 2012!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
Nice catch shave! :o

Well, this definitely adds another piece to the puzzle. However, with more information comes more questions about the who, what, when, where, and how? ;D

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
I've just been following the discussions at Thrillnetwork.com and Themeparkreview.com, that's where I'm getting all this info.

It sounds like someone is able to confirm that the track has shown up at dollywood. Blue track w/ tan supports. The only questions now are whether it's a wing-walker or invert, and how it will be themed. Seems like it will be a wing-walker based on the hints that DW has given, but I thought the track had been spotted before and had an invert label code on it. We'll have to wait and see until somebody can get a closer look on this one.

Theming could go any direction, the only clue there  is a sky-themed banner that says "the sky is not the limit". Could be bird theme, rocket theme (think steampunk/blackpowder, etc), storm theme, etc. I'm just curious as to their plans to make it fit the park without ruining the charm DW has left. That whole  back area of the park has looked pretty sore to me since they carved it out of the hill a couple of years ago. Hopefully this will immerse the area with theming and bring it up to DW/SDC standards.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
Well, now it's official: the track is indeed meant for DW. Here's some photos: http://www.thrillnetwork.com/construction-rumors-27/71162-dollywood-2012-a-18.html#post850116

From the sounds of things, it pretty much has to be a Wing Rider based on statements by Pete Owens. This is indeed different track than what was spotted at the facility, so it didn't have the inverted labels after all.

I'd rather have an invert, or really pretty much any other type of B&M, but DW will kick this out of the park like always so it'll be a sweet ride no matter what. I still find the whole wing-walker thing to be another coaster fad like stand-ups and inline loopers. I haven't actually ridden one yet, but going by the majority of the reviews, it's not necessarily much to write home about, and they have a lot more issues with roughness.

It's good the chain is buying from B&M again in any case. Hopefully SDC will get another after we get our woodie.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 11:24:18 PM »
Wow, those pictures are like trying to spot Bigfoot in the forest!

B&M (why do I always think of bowel movement :-X) is a great company, and I completely agree that Dollywood will knock this one out of the park.

As a Silver Dollar City fan, I am kind of jealous that Silver Dollar City hasn’t seen any major excitement in a long time, but I know Dollywood certainly needs this boost. ;D

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
at least we will be able to watch the progress all summer on this.  will be interesting.. Hopefully somebody will keep the pictures coming....

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
Looks like Dollywood will be getting a B&M after all. Read this article at screamscape. VERY INTERESTING! http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
More photos and some new info here: http://coasterfusion.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?11961.20#post_12071

I never know how much to trust these kinds of sources, but at Dollywood info like this has been consistently leaked just like this for every major project in the last few years. I think Mystery Mine was the only ride they somewhat managed to keep under wraps.

I could see the 220 ft height being accurate if it goes up the hill side and is measured from the ground. It's a shame that this ride will apparently be so unabashedly visible though. Doesn't sound like they're going to any effort to maintain the park's charm and are instead looking to compete with Carowinds. Unlike Wildfire, this is right in the center of the park, and will be visible, and presumably hear-able from nearly all areas of the park.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 07:36:55 AM »
well there you go! There are quite a few details in that "report".  And some great pics.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
Yep, it looks like a lot of rocks, and dirt. :P

Actually this is a very exciting time for Dollywood! It appears that there is a lot of progress is in motion, and very soon they will have a new, blue rollercoaster.

Putting the coaster in the middle of the park may, or may not be a good idea. Depends on if they had any perimeter land they could have worked with, or not.

Appreciate the updates!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »
I just received this e-mail from Dollywood:

"What’s New for 2012

The sky is not the limit! But the days are numbered until Dollywood finally reveals the big news about the 2012 season.

Rumors have been circulating for months as to exactly what is taking place behind the construction wall at Dollywood.

If you want to know, mark your calendar for Sept. 4. During Knoxville’s annual Boomsday fireworks spectacular, Dollywood will make a major announcement that will once and for all put to rest any speculation.

Boomsday is a free event that takes place in downtown Knoxville, Tenn., on Neyland Drive at Volunteer Landing along the Tennessee River. Be there on Sept. 4 when the mystery is finally revealed, and keep watching www.Dollywood2012.com in the meantime for hints!"
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »
Interesting e-mail! Sounds like Dollywood is going all out, and making a really big deal about this coaster.

Where’s Silver Dollar City’s old spark for showmanship?  ;)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
I will be in Dollywood this next month, I will report on what progress I see, maybe some pictures.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »
you bet mhguy,  pics are always good!