Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 160088 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #435 on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
Nice trip review Harp!

It sounds like you, and your daughter had a really good trip. That must have been something to show up first thing in the morning, and be the only car in the parking lot! Plus, most of your favorite rides had virtually no wait time which was nice.

You can’t go wrong with breakfast at the Mill, and the discounts are the icing on the cake. I keep hearing lots of good comments about the Lumberjack shows! I hope they will continue to impress.

The Harvest Festival is really one of the best times to go to Silver Dollar City in my opinion. I just love all of the arts, and crafts. Although, I am sorry to hear about the brute sandcastle artist. Thankfully, he is only temporary, and he does not reflect the true spirit of Silver Dollar City.

The Homestead, and Candy Shop are definitely don’t miss attractions!

Thanks for the review! ;D

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 20, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
We had a great time in Branson Sept.10-16. We went to SDC for the opening day of Harvest festival. Saw the Lumberjacks and talked to them, since they were from WI. close to where we live. The sand sculpture guy was friendly to me, but not my hubby. talked to the lady doing chalk drawings....she was awesome.Most of the crafts were good especially watching Violet Hensley playing one of the fiddles she made......it's amazing how she came back after being ill quite a few years ago....hope to have her energy when I'm in my 90's.Showed her a picture of a log bird feeder my husband made out of birds eye pine......her daughter showed me a fiddle Violet made out of the same wood....it was great. We spent most of our days at theHomestead visiting and listening to the Pickers, Aunt Judy and Frisco Jack.Got some tips from Greg Bailey to help me learn to play my guitar (I think it's hopeless for a 60 some year old to learn). We went to the IMAX on Monday for The Ozark Legends Movie....it was good. Tuesday night we went to Shepherd of the Hills Drama and it was the best thing we ever saw in Branson ( talked to Terry Sanders after the show) always visit with him inSDC too. We attended the 9/11 tribute in SDC... it was moving......Nedra Culp sang an awesome  Star Spangled Banner. (nice to have someone know all of the words). All in all we enjoyed our time in Branson.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 20, 2011, 02:48:32 PM »
Thanks for the trip review Cheesehead57! Sorry we didn't get to meet you, we were there the 10-11 and stayed at HomeStay too.
Glad y'all had a fun time!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 20, 2011, 04:41:59 PM »
Cheeseheads mentioned Violet Hensley in their trip review. Here is a STRONG reccomendation from me, if you visit SDC this year in the fall festival, visit Miss Violet. She is a fiddlemaker, and to my knowledge is the only person at the fall arts and crafts show that was at the first one they held in the 60s. With the exception of missing a few shows due to illness, she has been at every one of them. In Arkansas, her home state, she is considered a "living legend." She's in her 90s now, and won't be around much longer. Also...when you visit with her, get a picture with her. You will be glad you did someday. Her fiddles are rare, highly sought after pieces. You will want to take a close look at them when you visit. Please visit her. I had a chance to work an off day or two from the park with one of the crafters about 81, helping make apple butter for a few days at a demonstration booth. During break time, I got aquainted with Miss Violet. A wonderful woman. Go see her now, y'hear? :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
Cheeseheads mentioned Violet Hensley in their trip review. Here is a STRONG reccomendation from me, if you visit SDC this year in the fall festival, visit Miss Violet. She is a fiddlemaker, and to my knowledge is the only person at the fall arts and crafts show that was at the first one they held in the 60s. With the exception of missing a few shows due to illness, she has been at every one of them. In Arkansas, her home state, she is considered a "living legend." She's in her 90s now.....

I'll back Junior up on this one (not that he needs me to).  I first remember meeting Violet in the late 80's to early 90's...back when I was what is now know as a "tween".  My dad is a musician and always loves to stop and meet new people and see new instruments.  I remember being impressed with the fact that she built those violins herself...not an easy task for anyone, especially someone in her age bracket.  It seems to me that she was well into her 80's back then so if she was in her mid to late 90's now I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.  Glad to hear she's back for another wonderful fall in SDC, people like that add a flavor to the park that just can't be duplicated or replaced.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 21, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »
Violet even did a little clog dance for us. She is so amazing and like me  is visually impaired. I love that woman.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »
My Wife & I were in Branson Sat/Sun 10-11. We stayed at Homestay Inn (the review for the hotel is under that thread). We went to SDC on Sunday Sept. 11th.
Like Parson said, the 2 fire trucks with their latters fully extended into the air with the American Flag in-between was an amazing sight to see; gave me a big lump in my throat. The 9/11 tribute on the square was absolutely amazing. There were several Branson Artist that sang songs regarding the spirit of America, such as, Battle Hymn of the Republic, I'm proud to be an American, The National Anthem & an original song called Under God. The moment of silence began with the Church bells ringing, and let me say...it.....was......silent. Huge, massive crowd around the square, absolutely silent. They opened up the Bible and read scripture, and then a gentleman led everyone in prayer. How many places can you go, especially public ones, where they will open up the Bible, read from it, then lead a prayer? It was very moving and powerful. The Herschends were behind us on the balcony of the Ice Cream Parlor, It made the moment even more special, knowing they were watching the ceremony.
My wife & I rode Lost River, then American Plunge. We ate at Molly's Mill for Lunch, and actually got to eat in the upstairs balcony, very cool! There seemed to be a lot more crafts than normal this year, which was a nice surprise, many talented Artist's. We toured Grandfathers Mansion, the rocking room was not rocking, but everything else seemed to be in working order. We then had a small wait for Flooded Mine, then made a purchase at the Blown Glass Factory, before boarding the train.
We had a wonderful, memorable day in the City, with extra special significance, because of the Herchends being on park and the 9/11 tribute.
Note: I also made comments about this trip on the Homestay Inn thread, Lumberjack 2011 thread & Water Erupting from Lake Silver thread.  ;D
Here are some photos to go along with my trip report from Sept 10-11.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2011, 08:17:48 AM »
Well, we were all speculating...and now I guess we all know what the platform in Lake Silver was for!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »
YEP!  great pics.  we were rained out last weekend, hope to see it when we go back the 2nd weekend of Oct.. ::)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
That chalk drawing of the Silver Dollar City logo is amazing! Although I am curious, what happens when it rains? :P

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
Ozark,  they brought in those portable "tents",  and covered up the drawings.  worked pretty well.

And your right they are VERY impressive!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »
As an artist I would have loved to see the drawings. Any photos?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 24, 2011, 07:15:15 AM »
rube, sorry none here.  I did watch her work for a while.  quite amazing..

Another note.  I wonder why SDC doesnt take a few pictures like that, ( drawings) Lumberjacks, knife makers and post them on a facebook album to entice visitors?

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 26, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »
Another fine trip this past weekend!  The beginning was rough, however:  my wife and I got down to Richland before I remembered that I hadn’t got our passes out of storage, so I turned around and headed back home to get them.  Thus, we got to the hotel considerably later than I had hoped and a lot more tired than I wanted.  Therefore we slept in a little later than planned. 

The result was that we didn’t get to the city till about 10 AM.  Not wanting to miss anything else (having already missed the opening ceremony), we ate at Eva and Delilah’s rather than Mollies.  Cheese danish and cherry turnover, still warm from the ovens!  Flaky, gooey:  Yummy!

Having also forgot her hat, my wife picked up one of the black, straw (paper) hats at the HH, and we hit the square, almost overwhelmed by the number of craft booths!  We spent over an hour seeing them all, including picking up a few cards for later contacts.  I intend, for example, to get the cooper to make a water keg for me.  Going was slow because my wife has a foot problem (due for a minor surgery this week), and we took frequent rests.  We stopped at the leather shop and got one of those jackets mentioned here—great deal!—and laid in a supply of lye soap for the winter.

We walked down the Hill to grab lunch at the Lumbercamp Skillet, and then came back up to a pre-arranged meet with Duelist just before the 1:30 lumberjack show on the square.  We actually ran into him and his family prior to the set time, so we chatted for a while.  Great guy with a very nice family!  While talking, we saw Terry walking up in his Scarecrow get-up heading to do his routine near the HH.

My wife got to watching the Sherrif and Sarie Ellen playing Backgammon and Acey-deucy.  I tied to follow, but the rules made my head spin.  The lumberjack show thrilled me.  Our guy lost the springboard event, but he simply dominated the climb!  He was up and back down that pole in about three seconds.  Mighty impressive!  My wife talked to him, and he said he took 5th in the world at that event recently.  I have no trouble believing it!

After that, we headed down to the train and arrived just after one left; since my wife’s feet were hurting, we sat there till the next departure.  On that trip, we got a BIG surprise:  the wreck of ol’ 82 isn’t just the remains of an engine anymore:  there is a car there!   It is sitting at an angle on the hillside, off its trucks, somewhat toned down in color by smatterings of (I guess) black spray paint.  (Of this development, more later.)   The brakes on the train seemed to be VERY noisy.

After we got back, we just had to hit the FM.  Duelist and his family got off the same boat we boarded ;-)  Only one bit of disappointment here:  the song wasn’t playing that I could hear.  All the other sounds were clear, including the banjo-or-mandolin music.

We took the easy way up to the square and had some ice cream at Hannah’s—it may not be Heaven, but Hannah’s is the next best thing!  We then caught the brittle-making show and bought candy for the boys.

After that, we went over to the Opera House for “Headin’ West!”  Neither of us had seen it before, but we were both impressed by the quality of the singing and the staging/effects.  We’re going to make sure our boys get to see it.  They’ll really like the miners’ gags.  After the show, we bought a stained glass nightlight as a present for one of the leaders in my Cub Scout pack; she is a lighthouse fan, and this one is very pretty.

We debated eating supper in the City or doing something else and then eating on the way home.  The latter course won out, and we decided to take another train ride to get another look at that car on the hillside.  After the ride (the last of the day), we asked one of the conductors what was up.  He said that it had been there only a week or so, and that its replacement should be on the tracks by OTC.  Instead of repairing them, they are replacing the cars one at a time from plans drawn from the current ones.  He said it will take a couple years to get them all, but I think some of their development/maintenance $$$ are going into this worthy, if unspectacular, project.

Then it was up the hill, through the OM (and a stop for a dulcimer case at the music shop—great folks:  they gave us the discount for the case even though the dulcimer purchase from them was 15 years ago!) and out to the lots for a trip home.  It started to sprinkle just as we left, couldn’t beat the timing.  We tried to get into Olive Garden in Springfield to eat, but they were full, so we hit HuHot (which I like better, anyway.  Shh!  Don’t tell my wife!).

General impressions:  Everybody was just as friendly as could be.  I wonder if the better weather—i.e. much less killing heat—is partly responsible for that.  The RB was certainly NOT very busy, quite the contrast from our last trip!  Crowded park till late in the afternoon.  The trees are just starting to change:  they ought to be gorgeous when we come back in October!

Wonderful crafters/artisans.  Beautiful stuff to see and purchase.

Food quality was quite good.  The bakery was marvelous (proximity to Marvel Cave, I guess), and the Lumbercamp Skillet was delicious.  I have no more superlatives to use for Hannah’s:  ice cream simply doesn’t get better.

Ma seems to be gone completely from the robbery skit:  I haven’t heard of her but once this year.  The woods joke was omitted both trips; don’t know if that is a change or just the conductor.  Thus, the rattle-headed copper moccasin came earlier in the routine.  The skit on the second ride (last of the day, remember) was a little loose but still within the bounds of reason.  Both times, we gave them some change or a dollar—pardon me:  “dawlr”—so they told us we were a pleasure to rob ;-)

This was the sort of one-day trip which refreshes the mind, exercises the body, warms the heart, and calms the soul.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 26, 2011, 01:50:42 PM »
^ Enjoyed reading your trip review, thanks for posting! When we were there 9/11, we noticed the train off the side of the tracks too; i was just wondering if I had missed it all these years or if it was something new, thanks for clarifying. Glad you had a nice trip!