Author Topic: Discounts for Silver Dollar City  (Read 96765 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Discounts for Silver Dollar City
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2011, 11:37:20 AM »
Speaking of discounts for SDC, as some of you know, I get complimentary passes to hand out to whomever I want...the ultimate discount. These usually go to relatives or friends that need them in a pinch, and generally, I enjoy handing them out.

The other day, I gave two to the daughter of my sister-in-law's husband and her friend. No problem. But I was talking to them as they were about to head out, around 10AM, suggesting various things and shows to see while they were there, when she mentioned that they would only be there until a little after noon. I thought "Really?...by the time you get parked and through the gates you'll only be on park a little over an hour...and I'm giving you free passes to be wasted on that?" Had I known their plans beforehand, I would have told them I only had one pass to give and let them split the cost for the second ticket...still a pretty nice discount. Or better yet, I could have said "Go play miniature golf or go window shopping, you'll have more fun for an hour doing that." 

Sure, the passes don't cost me anything, but they still have value...there is a demand for them. It burns me up that some people don't appreciate that fact. I think I'm going to have to start inquiring about their plans for spending the day at SDC before I hand out freebies. Does less than 4 hours=1/2 ticket per person sound fair?

I hate to have to be that way, but I'd rather save the tickets for people who will really appreciate them. Is that being mean-spirited?

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »
No. You are not being mean spirited. An hour in the park is fine for those of us with season passes, but otherwise it's a complete waste of > $50

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
zephon, no your thinking correctly.. if you have an item like that, people you give it to should use it all day and get their "money's" worth,,

1 or 2 hours on a free pass?  thats just wrong!  Just tells me they do not appreciate the park..  LOL of course if they did, they would have season passes... right?

pintrader

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »
It does seem like a big waste when there are families that are having a hard time making ends meet and would love to go to SDC.  Then someone is nice enough to give you complimentary passes for the day and you stay 1 hour.  Oh well, it takes all kinds I guess  ???.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2011, 05:04:46 PM »
Re Zephon and the free passes issue, when I was 15 or 16, I had gotten several free passes while working at SDC, and a group of family members came through town. This would be about 1978 or 1979. They came by to visit our family home that first evening, mentioning they would spend the next day at SDC. I, of course, offered free tickets for everyone...about 4 or 5. They accepted. Next day, they spent the whole day. That evening, they came back to the family home in Branson, mentioned that they didn't have any trouble at the park when they approached the ticket booth, demanding REFUND on their "arrive after three, next day free tickets" they purchased on that first day they were in town. They told the ticket booth folks they misplaced the free tickets they were given, so they purchased tickets to get in. Later, when they "found" their free tickets, they wanted their money back on the ones they purchased. The ticket booth folk, being good citizens, believed their stories and refunded their money, and let them use the free passes I gave them. As a young teen, I'd never gotten so angry in my life! I BADLY wanted to tell these relatives how I felt about the issue, and approached my parents privately. They told me that yes, my aunt and uncle were WRONG for doing this, but to let it pass. I fumed for days about this, but I did as my parents told me. We never offered this branch of the family free tickets to ANYTHING after that. Even if I had a good stockpile built up of those free tickets, I would never have given a single one to them after that. I was the kid, and I looked up to my aunt and uncle to lead the way in doing the right thing. They did let me down that time. It was a hard lesson learned as a young feller. It has stuck with me to this day, and I have vowed never to do something like that. So far, so good!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
Yeah, sometimes it seems no one can make you angrier than your family.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »
That's pretty bad, Junior.  That's like stealing from the company.  But yeah, I'm gonna have to be a bit more discriminating with who I give passes to. I've been known to give them to complete strangers before, but I also knew they were going to spend the day there...and really appreciate them.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

pintrader

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
It's bad to say Junior, but with kinfolk like that you probably should take inventory after a visit from them  ;).

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2011, 08:18:38 AM »
The aunt and uncle are in their graves, now. But from time to time I wonder did the elevator button that got pushed go up...or down?  ;) Anyway, that was over 30 years ago.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

ctay8115

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
Hey Zephon. Im new on this site. Just took in 2 foster kids who are also my nephews. Would love to take them to SDC. If you have any tickets to give away, I would sure appreciate them.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »
I don't have my BAF tickets with me. I am not using the Midnight madness ones. Does anybody want them?

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2011, 12:34:34 PM »
I couldn't agree more JUNIOR.  As someone who grew up going to SDC as a kid, I can see the frustration of you and the others that gave away the tickets.  We would drive 6 hours from Texas every year to go to SDC a few days during our week vacation in Branson.  It was a treat for us to go.  My mom and dad saved all year for us to go.  We would buy single tickets, and usually do that two or three times during that vacation week.  For someone to have given us a free pass would have been like giving us a piece of pure gold.  We loved SDC so much and still do.  I would have never done that to my family or friends who gave me a free ticket.  We would have stayed all day and even saw the show at closing.  Now, my wife and I buy our season passes, but my children this year, have approached the age to where they have to have tickets too.  We will have to buy them tickets on our second Branson vacation this year. I now see the  struggles my parents took to make sure we could have a nice time at SDC. If you can't appreciate family and the memories that SDC will produce, you shouldn't even bother stepping in the park(whether free ticket or not) at all. Sorry, but I had to add my opinion in on this.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
Last Christmas, I was at Silver Dollar City with a friend and even though I know a few folks there, I hate imposing on their good graces.   Therefore, we were fully prepared to pay our full price to come in (no season pass being from Florida, etc...)

Lo and behold, a kind lady pulled my friend out of the line for no apparent reason at all and said "We have this extra ticket and aren't going to use it, do you need one?"    We were so ecstatic!  Two for the price of one entry to SDC and all because of the kindness of a stranger.   Nowhere except SDC.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
beta,  do you have tickets for next week?  how many people?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2011, 07:15:52 AM »
Sanddunerider - I'm being treated to a day at the park by my mom (awwwww) and she has her B.A.F pass
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!