Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > SDC Memories/ Park History

Old Shows Remembered SDC Entertainment

(1/13) > >>

Old Guy:
I've seen a lot of shows mentioned on other threads so how bout one for the shows themselves.  Street shows, music acts, theater shows, night shows, visiting acts, etc Any memories? Tales? Questions? Deep knawing moral issues? Oh.. hold it ...that's another thread....

Old Guy:
I'll get this started with a mention of SDC's funnyest show ever, The Boxing Show which was a summer show in the craft barn (then known as the wagonworks barn) in Deepwoods in 1978.
Bleachers were set up around a boxing ring and a British boxing champ would challange all comers to last three rounds with him for a prize of $100.00. Of course this was all a setup. There would be popcorn and soda venders walking around the bleachers and when the champ came out he would grab a popcorn and dump it over the venders head. We'd all boo. The chalange would come and who should answer the call than a couple of hillbilly brothers, the smart one who wants the money and the dumb one who is going to fight without a clue. This was played by one of Bransons funnyest men, Wayne Milnus, longtime star of the Toby Show, SDC's undertaker, later to be Judge at the SDC courthouse (more on that show another time), and many more. The ring was rigged with a mini tramp so he could do huge leaps over Percy (the champ) and at one point he would grab a rope hanging from a beam and do wild swings out over the audiance! He would end by accedentaly knocking out the champ and winning the purse.
The show only ran there one summer becouse entertainment lost the use of the barn but  it beacame a regular show ar SDC TN the next few seasons, using shots from the MO version in there brochures.

Copper:
I am going off of memories when I was very young:\

I remember about three different shows in the Saloon when I was a kid. One of the shows had Mean Murphy; he had the silver cup over his bit off nose. The second was the Carry Nation’s show where she would hack the saloon up with her ax. The third one I remember vaguely. I think that everyone was nervous because the owner was coming, something like that, and she would sit in the box seat above the bar. If you remember any of these Old Guy, please expound on them!

I would have loved to have seen the Medicine Wagon Show!

History Buff:
The Saloon show was terrific in the late 80s.  I am too young to remember the Carrie Nation show, but would have loved it (along with a little introduction to history).  The show I remember most featured an actress, playing Tillie, who really stole the show.  There were ad libs all over the place, and we couldn't stop laughing.  It was corny and fun.  That was before Mean Murphy came onto the scene.  As I mentioned in another thread, the bartender was always afraid that his brand new St. Louis mirror would be broken in a scuffle, and sure enough, the strobe lights flashed as a panel on the mirror slid to reveal a broken version of the mirror.

They also made a point of saying this was a "family show" and something was said of the painting of a scantily-clad women above and to the right of the mirror.  Before our eyes, the woman's arm pivoted to cover herself more appropriately.  As a kid, I thought this was rich.

I don't remember a medicine show, but I do remember the Toby Show.  I'd like to more about the Rainmaker and the Undertaker, as they are some of my favorite characters.  It makes me sick every time I see the Rainmaker's wagon not being utilized these days.  People walk by and can't appreciate what it really is.  I remember the Rainmaker would bring a kid up onto the contraption, and he would ask, "How long ya been on the wagon?"  One of the jokes that only the adults laughed at.

Copper:
I don’t remember the original Carry Nation’s Saloon show; I only saw the anniversary show a few years ago. I do remember the broken mirror scene in the Saloon.

I have been promised that the Rainmaker will return this season and the role of the rainmaker will be played by one zany man. I am looking forward to this, as a kid I loved it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version