Author Topic: Old Shows Remembered SDC Entertainment  (Read 28099 times)

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: Old Shows Remembered SDC Entertainment
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 04:08:43 PM »
Part II
The Theater of Many Names

This beast was built as the Courthouse Theater with a single show in mind with such groundbreaking features as no fly loft, a solid cement stage, and large pipes at 7' on eather side of the stage. I built a set for this one time that had to fit in front of the hatfield haint set no piece could be larger than 7'x4' to get it onstage!

Show 1 Elvira v. Melvin ie: The Courthouse Show
Staring Dan Embry as Melvin the accused chicken thief
Janna Henlabin as Elvira Manshy happles in love and tact
Wayne Milnus as the Judge who just wants to try out his new "Lightnin' Chair
as well as the bailif, and the colonal (defence attorney) and a lucky audiance member who got to through the swich!

Poor melvin never stood a chance. they throw the back wall open to reveal a Frankinstine wall of dials, jacobs ladders, flash pots etc. His attorney worked out a deal by where he would be spared if he married Elvira, but Melvin decided he'd rather fry. He changes his mind at the last minute, but too late, the swich is thrown. He survives with frized out hair, a fried chicken leg in his pocket which prompts the Colonal to change carers, and is led away by his new wife.

Next the theater changed its name to the Gaslight Theater for a show no one remembers because it never happened, and to this day I don't know why. It was to be called Gaslights and Gingham, a variety show. Instead a show  premiered called:

Show II: The Musical Feud 
The Hatfield and McCoys battle it out in a tallent contest for a big cash prize! A live band onstage, A singing contest
"Singing, you call that singing'
I've heard a pine knot in a sawmill sound like that
To be fair, I can compare
Its like fingernails on  blackboards
or pulling tales on cats"
etc.
Love story subplot between the kids....you know the rest

Next another name change to the Riverfront Playhouse with

Show III: The Hatfield Haint
Jeff Kimes as the Hatfield Kid
Janna Henlabin as MA

A realter tries sells the Hatfields a house right next door to the McCoys! McCoy decides to Haunt the house to scare them of using the previous owners (moomshiners) pre-rigged home.

Durring the fall of this shows second year the Dillards held a test show here each weekend for their Evening show in Echo Hollow the next season. That is the picture in the old brochure on this site.

Show IV :Timothy  Turnbuckle came next with an inventer (Dan Embry again) from the 1880's who builds a time mashine, comes to the 1980's, brings back a tourist who falls in love with an 1880's ozark girl and is torn between staying or going.
This is the first more "Broadway" script for SDC.

From there The Howdown with Terry Sanders (a true comic genius, ask him about "the patty films" but don't ever let on how you heard. It'll drive him nuts. ::) )After that my memory gets fuzzy with a yearly change of musical shows.
 An interesting note however; Every show in fine acting tradition signed the walls backstage. And in equily fine tradition M&C painted over all of it!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:50:17 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
I must have had amnesia!  Old guy just sparked the memory of the courthouse show!  I remember the guy was hooked up to the electric chair, and as the juice sparked into him, he pined for his love, Elvira.

"Elvira!" he yelled.  "Elvira!!!"  There was a pause for effect, 'cause you just knew what was coming, and then in his best Oak Ridge Boys impression, he sang the last line:  "My heart's on fire for Elvira!"
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »
I just have to say thanks Old Guy, your stories and memories are awesome!

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
Your quite welcome. SDC has always been lousy at keeping it's own history. Some of these storys were told to me by the first generation of employees and will be lost if it wasn't for places like this to pass it on.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 04:18:07 PM »
When I made my purchase at the cave desk, Friday, my wife and I spoke to the older gentleman at the counter.  He's a long time icon in the City.  He kept saying he'd worked there for 28 years and never had to run a cash register, but had a bout with heat exhaustion last year and they moved him indoors.  Old Guy, you've got to know him.  He's got the Shad-style Ozark beard and said he worked as a blacksmith for years, before moving to log cabin building, the duplicating lathe, and other things.  He's also seen in the Marvel Cave DVD coming out of the old cabin and looking surprised that the balkdknobbers had been there.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 04:25:55 PM »
Gene Bortner? Looks like Santa?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »
That's him, but he's too skinny to be Santa.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
Gene is on the SDC BBQ sauce bottle if that helps identify him

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Uncle Gene is an amazing guy. He has so many stories and he quite good with the ladies. He is always speaking “Flowerdy” words, as he put it.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 04:40:23 PM »
Oh, and I must mention, Tilly and Dusty are friends of my wife and myself, and did wed a number of year ago and have a whole passel of happy children. A happy ending that explains the chemistry.

Tell them I said Hi.  I'm sure they'll remember me from the audience.  I was the one who sat on ground level in the back, on the ledge by the rail.  ;)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »
Uncle Gene is an amazing guy. He has so many stories and he quite good with the ladies. He is always speaking “Flowerdy” words, as he put it.

I do remember when he flirted with my great grandma when we took her to the park!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 04:41:43 PM »
Part three: Down by the riverside.
It seems each time they redo the dockside theater, it rotates a quarter turn. Hmmm.....
Oh well, I muse..  The first theater at this site was the medicine wagon, moved from elsewhere, which had it's back to the stream. The theme song was "Take a pill" written by D.A.Calaway and sung by Prof. Camodius,the medicine man.
It was replaced by the Deepwoods theater with the puppet show "Rufus the Llittlest Mule. This structure backed to what was then called the Wagonworks Barn.
One year animal acts were deemed to be THE thing, so was born Old Blue the dancing pig show, and one that never saw the light of day that involved Wayne Milnes launching a chicken with a giant slingshot. It was axed by managment a few days before the season even opened.  Probably for the best. Other acts here were music shows, Larry Suseski(sp?) who did a real knife throwing act, and a second rainmaker location at the entrance. The oddest show ever here was the B.V.D. show or the Berdett and Valldick Delight. a song and dance show with two partners who hated each other and proceded to rip each others cloths off tell they were left with nothing but a barrel and a box for modisty.  It was a small shack like stage with a canvas cover over the audiance which collected the rain in giant pools, a problem that was fixed in the next incarnation:
The Dockside theater. Built on a riverboat theme open on all sides with lattes trim, smoke stacks on top, and sail like sunscreens over the audiance. It's back was to the lake. Home to the Volunteer  firehouse band, which became the River Rats, and many other music acts. As far as I know the variaty acts had all gone away by this point, as I can not recall anything but music there.It went away then the present theater was built facing of course, the only remaining compass direction.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 04:49:37 PM by Old Guy »

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
The Schoolmarm and the Bear Show was a storytelling show that brought children and adults together onstage dressed in silly hats at the Valley Theater in the early 80's. It was a huge hit with packed shows 5 times a day under the watchfull direction of Schoolmarn Sally Beal (named after long time SDCite Clayton Beal) played by Judy Dockery Young. http://www.yawp.com/stories/judy.html
  More photos were taken here than any show I can think of due to the audiance cast of 7 or 8. Any floating around out there now?
Judy stopped doing the shows after a few years to do more storytelling.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:11:27 PM by Old Guy »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
Yes, I remember Judy, but must say I never attended an actual show.

Who is the current marm?

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »
I just saw a picture of Bonnie Jean as school marm. For more years than she will admit she was Ma Hatfield in the street shows.
Adendium: Just saw a picture from this season with Cindy as the schoolmarm. She has been with the city for a long time, and at one point was my postwoman.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:16:04 PM by Old Guy »