Author Topic: SDCFans Teachers (Snow Day?)  (Read 33998 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDCFans Teachers (Snow Day?)
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2011, 09:02:01 PM »
SS, if you've stayed with our schedule, tomorrow is Snow Day #8, and we do NOT have to make it up.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2011, 11:18:38 PM »
Why do you have a Snow Day?  You guys haven't received any more snow than we have.  ???
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:18 AM »
SS, if you've stayed with our schedule, tomorrow is Snow Day #8, and we do NOT have to make it up.

We may have had the same amount off.  We made one up on MLK day, though.

Swoosh, my school district is so rural and hilly a school bus would still get stuck trying to get through.  Heck, my car still slips and slides in my neighborhood until I get to a main road. I was surprised Joplin is still out.  I drove around yesterday, and side streets were pretty slushy, but I thought they were manageable.  Joplin has a few rural routes, so maybe that was the issue.  I would think we would go tomorrow, but if it's our true day 8, who knows?  Unless today was our day 8.  I guess I'll wait and see.

One interesting thing is that last week was our basketball homecoming.  We missed nearly all of spirit week.  Will it be spirit week whenever we go back?  Also, Joplin's speech tournament is this weekend.  I entered the tournament only to find out that homecoming may be rescheduled this weekend.  If it was just a Saturday tournament, it wouldn't be an issue.  But half of my squad is on student council, so they would have an obligation to deal with homecoming festivities and the dance on Friday, if it's rescheduled for this Friday.  Oh the uncertainty!     

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
We have had Easter Monday taken, as well as a professional development day taken, as well as 1 day from Spring break, oh... and 5 tacked onto the end of the year...making us out June 2 right now.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »
Swoosh, we had a total of 20 inches, and many people are still stuck in their driveways.  The superintendent rode a bus on the news, last night, and explained that some roads have only one lane cleared, and it's "too dangerous" for buses to travel down those roads.  He also has indicated that he would rather "make the call and regret it later" than not make the call and have something happen.

I think there are a couple of other factors in SW MO:
1.  People will keep their kids home, not wanting to dig themselves out, and it becomes an attendance issue that dings us on our MSIP.
2.  We have 3-6 inches more on the way tomorrow.
3.  State cutbacks have his the transportation budget pretty hard, and it costs more to run bus routes in snow.
4.  Folks are pretty wimpy around here.

This could be a top-ten list if a certain forum member puts his imagination to it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »
We had 22" of snow recorded here and we are just as hilly, if not more so, then most rural areas so forgive me for not validating the snow days.

I think what it comes down to is survival mode.  Apparently people in the northern part of the state know how to cope with large amounts of snow and have the means to do so, whereas the southern part of the state does not.

I know it is not your calls on whether or not you have school, but it seems a little odd that we're almost a week after the storm and still not back to school.

SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
That's only partially true.  IMO the roads are easily navigable - by myself and by school buses.  I suspect it's more the attitude of the patrons - that they will sleep in and keep kids home, that they don't value education, that they use their poverty as an excuse.  I wish we didn't coddle them so much, but we do.  :-\

And in similar news, we're out for day #9 tomorrow!  As long as they pay me, I don't care. ;D

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
We're out again, too.  Joplin is also out again.  I was surprised, until I took the side streets to Taco Bell.  (I know, I know, but I was craving a taco salad.)  I almost couldn't get up the hill to get back to my main road!  The stupid street I chose must have had a plow run over it once this whole time.  Luckily, it wasn't a busy road at all so I could have turned around if I didn't make it.  I think.

We probably are wimpy.  And I'm not sure parents want to keep their kids home--lol.  The parents I've heard from are ready to get the kids out of the house.  Maybe some towns do a better job of clearing/treating streets?  Or we are just completely wimpy--lol.

I have to admit I am enjoying spending the time with my girls.  We all took turns having bronchitis/ sinus infections, and now we are all much better since we were able to stay home and rest.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
We started back today.  So far our total is 5 days.  However, another storm is moving in Tuesday night and we are expecting an additional 6"-12" so Wednesday is in doubt....and Thursday....and Friday.  Oklahoma is simply not equipped to deal with these circumstances.  The road in front of my house is still single lane because of the drifts and the graders simply have not caught up.  Oh well.....hopefully I'll be able to go to SDC sometime in July.  You know, the weather is sooo pleasant at that time of year!  WATER RIDES ANYONE??????  LOL

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
I've at least had time to do some writing on my third book, work on self publishing the first two, and am getting one ready to send to a publisher.  I'd love to be able to do this full time, but must rely on others for my salary.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2011, 08:13:18 PM »
They don't value education, that they use their poverty as an excuse. 

That is probably the reason right there.  However we are 60% free and reduced at my district so it goes to show that there are lower socio-economic schools out there that do value education.

SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2011, 07:45:26 AM »
stacey sue,  where do you live? i have a good buudy of mine that lives in the gales/riverton area.  And it seems to me one of the other "citizens" here lices in columbus..

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »
stacey sue,  where do you live? i have a good buudy of mine that lives in the gales/riverton area.  And it seems to me one of the other "citizens" here lices in columbus..

I live on the east side of Joplin, but I teach in Diamond.  :)

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
Well, my daughter went to school today, but I got to stay home (different districts).  Our last day is June 2, with the latest day possible being June 6, which is fine with me.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »
we are out as of this point on June 2, we cannot go past the 3rd since our District has already reserved the local Arena for the 3 high schools comencement on the 4th! Any more snow days and we are stuck taking away Spring Break days (we are at 8 right now, and have to make up ALL up to 10)