Author Topic: SDC's 2012 Project  (Read 112361 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2012 Project
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »
I've thought of that idea, as well, Tom.  It could be Fire Watch Tower 60 (for the opening year).  I'd like to see some themed pieces included.  I still fear the Adventure Mountain thing could include that tower - just watch and see.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »
My guess on y the tower is still there is because of time restraints. It is possible that they didnt want to take the time (or didnt have the time) or money to take it down. It is a very large structure with huge steel beams and would take some time and money to take down. Just my thoughts.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 01:18:01 PM »
I still think the email that was sent to dwfan a few months ago is probably a clue that they are indeed planning to use the old waterboggin site for the next big attraction. However, the more I look at it, the less I think the old tower can actually be used for much of anything besides a zipline. My hope is that they'll use it for theming for the new ride, making it look like a giant mine shaft or something.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »
Why couldn't they build one of the lifts for a Eurofighter in it?  There is more than enough room.  Just sayin...
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
Why couldn't they build one of the lifts for a Eurofighter in it?  There is more than enough room.  Just sayin...

Because that would make too much sense. ;)

I believe the water tower will be used for something. There is no reason to leave an inoperable, and non themed tower structure just standing there.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
How would they put a G-fighter lift in there? With the train tracks underneath and the way the stairs are built into the structure there's no room to work with. I bet it'd be cheaper and better to tear it down and just build a new tower for the purposes of hiding a lift.

Then again, what do I know - but it seems more and more like they don't actually have a plan for the tower. To me it looks like they had to get rid of the Waterboggin sooner than they planned due to some sort of liability or maintainence issue. The tower might be standing simply because there's no need to spend the money on bringing in a crane to remove it. OR, the waterboggin reached the end of it's planned maintainence life and the park had planned to have a new ride in it's place by now, but the 2009 delay has pushed everything back a year...

Hmm, it all still seems weird to me. I'm still trying to see why Splash Harbor and the Waterboggin were removed when they were.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:58 AM »
How would they put a G-fighter lift in there?

Very carefully.  ;D  No seriously, it would fit.  The lift is not as wide as you'd think, and just because the train goes through there doesn't really mean anything. 
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 11:55:34 AM »
Hmm, it all still seems weird to me. I'm still trying to see why Splash Harbor and the Waterboggin were removed when they were.

There are definitely a lot of uncertainties, but I am very confident that they were both removed to make room for a new attraction. The biggest question being, what role (if any) will the remaining tower play? That is a question that we will just have to wait, and see. Silver Dollar City loves surprises!  ;D

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »
I think a G-fighter would fit. When you look at Mystery Mine, you can see the ride is really compact and dosent have a large footprint.  :D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
I'm still trying to see why Splash Harbor was removed when it was.

Splash Harbor was due for a rather extensive (and expensive) overhaul.  With the addition of River Blast and more up-to-date waterguns, the opprotunity to just remove, what had really had become a "duplicate attraction", seemed to be the best move fiscally for the park
SWOOSH

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 09:01:04 PM »
Are we going to see a Mystery Mine type of ride in 2012? Is that what the existing Waterboggin' Tower will be used for? The suspense is killing me already...
Colorado SDC Fan

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
Okay- I totally change my vote to zipline, zipline, zipline.    I do not necessarily care if they put one in or not- but a zipline has got to be what that tower will be used for.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »
With the new zip lines being built in the Branson area this last year, I'd be surprised to see SDC put in a zip line. If a wooden roller coaster is not possible, I'd love to see a Mystery Mine type of ride. Dollywood's looks pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:33:34 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »
i also have my doubts for the zip line because of how many "citizens" it would take at both ends to keep us "safe"..   :-\

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
In the 2011 project thread I pointed out that SDC's images on Google Maps had been updated somewhat recently. DW's images have been updated within the past few months as well. So of course, I just had to do a little test to see exactly how easily it would be to fit an MM in the old waterboggin spot. As it turns out, it does indeed look pretty easy, at least from this eye-ball estimation. Even accounting for differences in elevation for the two photos, there's still a lot of room to work with if they use a more elongated layout. Notice that the old waterboggin station is way down at the bottom of this pic.