Author Topic: SDC's 2012 Project  (Read 113128 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2012 Project
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
^I dunno, SDC has gotten a lot of things first. It's only been recently that a few concepts tried first at DW have come to SDC second. DW does have a fair lead in attendance, IIRC.

This year will be fun, we'll actually have a space to watch over the summer. If they are planning a huge MM-scale addition, we'll probably see markings/clearing beginning in the late summer, if not earlier.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Agreed SDC has gotten a few things first..

And yes I believe you are correct about watching the "new" site..  I would imagine prep work to start june/july.   elevation markers, utility markers. I would not expect to see clearing/dirt work until maybe fall/late season.

No telling when the actual announcement would be. but i am sure with our "friends" of the park. as soon as work starts we may get some insight.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
It was announced during the all-park orientation today that there is no new major attraction planned for 2012.  Sorry...I know that disappoints some of you who were hoping for a big new thrill ride.  Instead, efforts will be concentrated on a variety of smaller projects, one of which could be a new Christmas production for the Red Gold. 
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
I would like to see small improvements done. Bring some of the classic signs and gags that made SDC so much fun. It would be great to bring new life into the park ya know.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2011, 04:42:08 PM »
HMMMMMMMM?   that is disappointing..   But maybe they will do some "major" past due remodeling..??

such as the FM
                  FITH
                  AP.

We are all in agreement updating is WAY past due.!

I do hope they will redo most of the shows.  seem like we know most of them by heart.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »
I would look for more money to be spent on WW next year if anything... just saying.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »
It was announced during the all-park orientation today that there is no new major attraction planned for 2012.  Sorry...I know that disappoints some of you who were hoping for a big new thrill ride.  Instead, efforts will be concentrated on a variety of smaller projects, one of which could be a new Christmas production for the Red Gold. 

Wow, really? Unless they're putting their money into re-opening CC, that kind of sucks. They've already had a couple of seasons recently where they just worked on small projects around the park. How many signs or gags are left to bring back? They've worked on FITH and the Flooded Mine already; fixed up the talking bucket, ghost trap, and several other gags; added a bunch of new signage throughout the park; and re-painted/re-paved areas.

I mean, not that SDC has to keep adding rides or anything, but I was really hoping that they were gearing up for something big in 2012, especially seeing as the last several years have almost taken more out of the park than has been added back.

Meh, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »

I hope they aren't getting rid of the Nativity that was in the Red Gold Hall.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »

I hope they aren't getting rid of the Nativity that was in the Red Gold Hall.
[/quote]

I hope not either. The production has changed over the years (even though the basic storyline will forever stay the same). At one time it was located behind the Wilderness Church, where showgoers would sit on simple bales of hay and watch a very touching, simple version of The Nativity. It then has changed locations several times, and in various formats at Red Gold; it was even in 'the round' for a couple of years, with the town of Bethlaham serounding the center stage. I feel the version that has been performed for the past few seasons has put on a 'musical' like quality, and has just seemed off to me.
I for one (as a Christian) am very please that we can go to a Theme Park and have the previledge of even seeing "The Living Nativity" played out.
Even the lighting of the Christmas Tree at the lighting ceremony, talkes about the life of Christ, and that has even brought my family to tears at times; Along with Grandpa on the train ride...its perfect....its simple.
For me, simplicity is the way to go with The Living Nativity.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
This past Christmas was my first time seeing the Living Nativity and I did find the Kenny Rogers type narrator/angel a little strange, but it still brought tears to my eyes.
And I agree. It is wonderful to have a place to go that still celebrates The Reason for the season! Even the greater on our way out of the park reminded us to "keep Christ in Christmas". I hope they keep Christ at the center of the Old Time Christmas. I hope they are just moving the show or just chaining it. I can't imagine them getting rid of it.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2011, 11:46:27 PM »
Well, I really don't know what will happen to the Nativity show.  I can't see them abandoning it completely...probably a return to the simpler version as some of you have suggested.  I'll see what I can find out.

As for not adding a "big" thing for 2012...I just have to say I think they've been doing a pretty good job of adding new things, especially considering the economic climate that has existed the last half decade.  This year they're adding Half Dollar Holler...it's a big thing...maybe not the cup of tea for everyone here, but it is in response to the requests of a lot of families with little ones.  In the last decade they've added River Blast, The Giant Swing, The Grand Exposition, Powder Keg, Wildfire.  Gone are The Waterboggan, and Splash Harbor.  I'm not counting Buzzsaw Falls because it was unpopular and replaced immediately by Powder Keg, so one for one exchange.  Anyway, it's not like they've remained static for the last decade.

Last season was a pretty good year for SDC, with attendance pretty much meeting expectations.  But the four or five years before that, attendance numbers, and therefore profits, didn't come close to reaching expectations.  Yet, they still added new things.  I ask you all to realize that SDC does not have unlimited pockets, and be patient.  SDC is still the best value for your dollar in the whole area.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2011, 12:07:41 AM »
^Agreed, it'll still be the best value entertainment around even if they don't make any changes for several years. Strange that they've had tougher times meeting attendance in the past few years - the park has always been busy every time I've been for years. I guess that explains why they would be focusing on families now more than thrill seekers. The amount they've spent on new rides lately is crazy if they're not getting a good return on it.

That said, if they aren't planning the big coaster project we've been dreaming of since this site was created, I hope they at least add a new shop, craft, or a ride from CC. The S&S double shot would be perfect - it fits with their other S&S rides, runs on clean compressed air, doesn't take up much room, appeals to a wide audience, and can be easily themed and tucked away in the park. The only down side is the low capacity.

Heck, I'd even take the old Roaring Falls rumor over nothing  ;)  Selfishly speaking, it's just been too long since I've got to watch something I was truly excited about go into SDC. River Blast was nice, but the year-long delay, and the loss of everything that was taken out in those two years kind of dampened my enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:08:20 AM by shavethewhales »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2011, 07:24:42 AM »
yes they are doing very well,

If you think about it IF they would spend a million dollars updating/repairing existing rides and attractions.....

That would be great, after all a million dollars worth of repairs would go a LOOONNNGGGGG  way.

But it would be nice to know what they are "thinking" about for the WW area. With the fact that area will be vacant for 2 years know, I wonder if they should have repaired it and left WW funtional.?

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
This past Christmas was my first time seeing the Living Nativity and I did find the Kenny Rogers type narrator/angel a little strange, but it still brought tears to my eyes.
And I agree. It is wonderful to have a place to go that still celebrates The Reason for the season! Even the greater on our way out of the park reminded us to "keep Christ in Christmas". I hope they keep Christ at the center of the Old Time Christmas. I hope they are just moving the show or just chaining it. I can't imagine them getting rid of it.
I agree 100%...It was so exciting walking into the park (1st time I'd been to OTC) and see the banners with scripture on it...I want to take my parents this Christmas and I know they will enjoy...Being a pastor's son and born again Christian it does my heart good to see things like I saw during OTC...
Colorado SDC Fan

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
It was announced during the all-park orientation today that there is no new major attraction planned for 2012. 

There is information there, but you have to read between the lines.  That is all.
SWOOSH