Author Topic: SDC's 2012 Project  (Read 113147 times)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2012 Project
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
This past Christmas was my first time seeing the Living Nativity and I did find the Kenny Rogers type narrator/angel a little strange, but it still brought tears to my eyes.
And I agree. It is wonderful to have a place to go that still celebrates The Reason for the season! Even the greater on our way out of the park reminded us to "keep Christ in Christmas". I hope they keep Christ at the center of the Old Time Christmas. I hope they are just moving the show or just chaining it. I can't imagine them getting rid of it.

I know I am in the minority, but the Nativity show does nothing for me.  A simple version might be better.  I'd watched it three times, and after that I decided not to see it again.  The Dickens show still brings tears to my eyes, though.  I love Jesus, I just hated that Nativity show.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
This past Christmas was my first time seeing the Living Nativity and I did find the Kenny Rogers type narrator/angel a little strange, but it still brought tears to my eyes.
And I agree. It is wonderful to have a place to go that still celebrates The Reason for the season! Even the greater on our way out of the park reminded us to "keep Christ in Christmas". I hope they keep Christ at the center of the Old Time Christmas. I hope they are just moving the show or just chaining it. I can't imagine them getting rid of it.
I agree 100%...It was so exciting walking into the park (1st time I'd been to OTC) and see the banners with scripture on it...I want to take my parents this Christmas and I know they will enjoy...Being a pastor's son and born again Christian it does my heart good to see things like I saw during OTC...

My Dad is a minister also and SDC is his most favorite place to go. :)
My parents will celebrate their 50th anniversary in 10 years and my brothers and sister and I talked about saving up to all go to Disney World, but my parents said they would much rather go to SDC.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »

[/quote]
I know I am in the minority, but the Nativity show does nothing for me.  A simple version might be better.  I'd watched it three times, and after that I decided not to see it again.  The Dickens show still brings tears to my eyes, though.  I love Jesus, I just hated that Nativity show.
[/quote]

I'm just a sap for musicals. I cried at the Christmas Carol show, too.
I think a simple Nativity would be great. That's a story that doesn't need any embellishment. Like I said, I just don't want it to go away completely.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »
I asked about the Nativity today.  Here's the deal...the hope is to produce a big new production show in Red Gold for 2012.  However, major modifications will have to be made to the building to accommodate a large production...big dollars for that.  The producers are trying to get approval, but it's not yet been given.  So, if the approval is given, there will be a new Christmas production in Red Gold for 2012, and the Nativity show will be relocated, not abandoned.  Whether it's the same show or a simpler one would depend on where they relocate to.  But, if they don't get approval for the new show, the Nativity will remain in the Red Gold.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2011, 07:28:28 PM »
HMM?  ok. so if i am reading this right.. the PTB are thinking about spending a bunch of money for 1 show?

That sounds wrong to me..?

not trying to take anything away from the meaning of christmas.

Obviously will need more details on this "project"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
I gave SDC my money 3 years ago even though they postponed the new ride for a year.
I gave them my money last year even though I knew the new ride wasn't for me.
I gave them my money this year hopping something new would occur, alas.....nothing.
Nothing to the extent they are apparently forewarning us to get used to the same ole for 2012.
I realize that it takes a lot of money to put in a new ride or major improvement but I am losing my willingness to hold a seasons pass waiting and contributing to a improvement that is not occurring.
 I am interested in a family attraction, something that we can all enjoy.  Why they nixed creature in the creek is beyond me, that is what SDC needs ( or something similar).
A ride that tells a real story, that is not going to soak you and can be ridden by everyone all season long.
They have lost me on the shows as well, they have ridden the same shows long enough.
To reiterate, there is less and less that will hold my attention for another season.
I guess I am super negative but that's how I am looking at the latest SDC news.

2012 will have to have some real promise to have me bring $150 out of my wallet for passes. I have contributed $500 solely in passes during the past 3 years and am still without something new.
Basically that news pisses me off a little.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:19:44 PM by mhguy77 »

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »
I know that I am solidly in the minority here but I am not at all bothered by them not adding anything.
I loved SDC long before the started adding thrill rides, and whatever they choose to add is nice but even if they just had FITH and a kids play area like we did when I was young we would still go. 

Rides are not why I go, shows aren't why I go. The people and place are why I go.  And unless they try to change the spirit and environment of the City we will be there.

"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2011, 07:53:37 AM »
mhguy, I do agree with you on the show situaiton.  as i have stated before. I dont know they cant have 2 or 3 or even 4 "skits"/ "shows" and revolve them monthly/quaterly even yearly.

I know we would all love the show much much more if we did not have them all memorized.

As far as the "major" thrill, I dont do much riding. I do realize alot of people do and that is fime with me. That is all part of the theme park thing..So i do wish something would happen there.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »

The thrill is not what I am asking for.
I want a family ride that isn't " thrilling" in that is keeps some off. FM tells a story and is a staple of a visit to SDC.    FITH is a little more thrilling but also a staple of a visit to SDC. The other rides are great but lack that connection.
This is what SDC needs more of, this is why we all wish they would fix them up again, they have character and they tell a story.  The great swing is fun but there is no story, there is no story to wildfire, these rides are fun but they lack the connection.  There was a post on this site that asked people what ride they wouldn't mind seeing removed.  Overwhelmingly FM and FITH were voted to stay.  This speaks volumes, we need more story attractions.  No big splash, no huge hill, no upside down flips we need a story.
Something like this would be a good investment.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
Well, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll refurbish American Plunge and get the theme back up to par. Maybe we'll get an old-ride-turned-new as part of the 2012 season...

Would be nice, if only.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:25 AM »

The thrill is not what I am asking for.
I want a family ride that isn't " thrilling" in that is keeps some off. FM tells a story and is a staple of a visit to SDC.    FITH is a little more thrilling but also a staple of a visit to SDC. The other rides are great but lack that connection.
This is what SDC needs more of, this is why we all wish they would fix them up again, they have character and they tell a story.  The great swing is fun but there is no story, there is no story to wildfire, these rides are fun but they lack the connection.  There was a post on this site that asked people what ride they wouldn't mind seeing removed.  Overwhelmingly FM and FITH were voted to stay.  This speaks volumes, we need more story attractions.  No big splash, no huge hill, no upside down flips we need a story.
Something like this would be a good investment.

I agree. More family rides would be great! We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Flooded mine and the Train were pretty much the only things we could ride together at Christmas. This summer we can ride River Blast and American Plunge, but what if we don't want to be soaked all day?
We took a trip to Disney World in 2009 when our youngest was 9 months old, yet he could still ride most everything except the coasters/thrill rides. There were far more rides that we could together than not.
But I am excited about HDH. It sounds perfect for my boys, but it does exclude a lot of people.

pintrader

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
I agree that SDC has enough get wet rides!  I am still scratching my head over RB.  We go to SDC on an average of 20 times a year. Every time we went last year you could walk right on or have virtually no wait at all.  Don't get me wrong it has great theming and looks great.  It just seems strange a brand new 7 million ride has no waiting lines.  We have 5 children that range from 9 to 15 and they had little interest after the initial first few times they rode.  With that being said, I do believe that the next big thing for SDC would be something that can be rode pretty much throughout the year.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2011, 01:30:02 PM »
^Yeah, that is really sad, especially since a lot of kids had to be dragged away from Splash Harbor after hours of play. Even though it is pretty fun, and great to cool off on, RB did seem to fall short in both being a water ride and recreating the parts of the Splash Harbor experience that were so fun IMO. :P I wonder if the lackluster response is another factor in SDC's current decision process.

SDC really hasn't had much luck in the past few years. The parking lot project became a boondoggle that took forever and apparently cost way more than they were expecting, the recession hit and caused them to delay cap. ex. for a year, and all the while attendance hasn't even soared from all of their efforts. If everything had gone to plan, the parking project would have been done in 2008, RB would have been 2009's attraction, and who knows what we would have gotten for the 50th anniversary.

That's life I guess. I'm sure SDC will have something up its sleeve for 2012, even if its not a ride, that will be worth looking forward to. However, this talk about family rides really makes me think that SDC needs a good wooden coaster now more than ever - even though I'm sure some of you guys wouldn't classify that as a 'family ride'. Ozcat sure had a diverse age group riding it back in the day though. 

pintrader

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
RB was supposed to be a big family ride but teenagers were non existent and grownups were just riding because of the smaller kids.  During mid summer lines to the LR were backed up to the entrance while at the same time you could walk right on RB.  This tells me it's not just getting wet but the little added thrill that brings a family to a ride.  Yeah! I agree it might be time for a nice wooden coaster or at least something with a little more thrill to it.  But hopefully not another get soaked ride  :).

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »

We need something with theme.
If you think about it WDW would not be what it is without the Haunter Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.  Neither are thrill rides.
What they do have is theme and storys.
Like FITH and FM.
They are more expensive then a off the shelf ride I would think but they have staying power and lifelong fans.