Author Topic: SDC Music .....BlueGrass  (Read 6903 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC Music .....BlueGrass
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:09 PM »

There is a topic "whats your favorite sound at SDC".
There is something about the sound of the bubbling spring on Springstreet with bluegrass that takes me back to my boyhood years.  The sounds of the rolling water and the bluegrass marry in some way, they complement each other beautifully.
I was at the lake today ( over cast rainy, it was me and the dawg) as we walked I was listening to a podcast that I download regularly.  My mind went back to the late 70's early 80's and I decided I had to share this with the SDC Fans. This is the music that makes me think SDC.
Try it out and let me know what you think, its free and updated weekly.
I recommend the latest/last show as a first.
Enjoy

http://bluegrasshighway.podomatic.com/

BTW, I have nothing to do with the show, just stumbled upon it one day.
 I am just recomending it to friends  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Music .....BlueGrass
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »
I am going to have to check that out. I am wearing my bluegrass down...I need a new batch of music. When I was at the Bluegrass ad BBQ this Spring, I was able to see a few great acts, but 4 mths of those guys in heavy rotation have gotten a bit old. Thanks mhguy77!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »

Its a good show, there is a new one each week and they are worth listening too
Great mix of music.
If you go to EBay you can get a $5 mp3 player that reads a usb thumb drive or a memory chip, it  runs through your car FM and it works great for the show in the car.
I think mine was $5 and I load up a new show every week.
Hope you enjoy the podcast.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:28 AM »
For me, the classic SDC sound will always be the hammered dulcimer. In the '70s/'80s, it was a rare and intriguing instrument that few people had ever seen or even heard of. At the Main Street Gazebo, there was almost always an act featuring hammered dulcimer, and on some occasions you'd even find them at other spots in the city. Back then, it was common to see live music acts set up under shade trees throughout the park.

The funny thing is that the hammered dulcimer is such an iconic bluegrass instrument, but has totally different origins. Bluegrass and all the music of Appalachia is Celtic in origin, coming from the Scots-Irish settlers (Ulster Scots, or whatever the PC term is today). The hammered dulcimer came from Southwest Asia, probably Persia.

Another classic sound is the train, of course. And the roar of the furnaces in the glass factory. There's far too little clang of the anvil, since the "blacksmith" shop has traditionally focused on casting pot metal trinkets.

Ah, the clop of horse hooves... a long gone sound, but one that is fond in my memories. So is the loud bang (and rolling clouds of smoke) of real black powder blanks in Main Street shootouts and the train robbery, before they went to primer squibs.

Okay, the sound and scent memories have me calculating how to board 7 dogs for a quick weekend trip... somebody stop me!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
I want SOOOO much to learn to play the hammered dulcimer. IMHO, it's the most beautiful instrument ever invented.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
We have a local Bluegrass Jam Band that is open to guests. They bring extra instruments and welcome anyone of any skill level. I cannot join them this month, or next month, but  in December I will finally be able to be a part of the jam. I have played swing, rock, blues, jazz, and now hopefully Bluegrass! I guess this means I will brush up more on my skills between now and Dec.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
Rube,

Where and when is the bluegrass jam. I'll bring my fiddle and maybe my mandolin when I  come up in October.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 01:40:14 PM »
It is in a suburb O'Fallon MO, at a music store called Mozingo Music

It happens every month on the first Sat. so it would fall on Oct 2, this next month.

Link to mozingo:http://www.mozingomusic.com/about/locationscontact/

FLyer about jam:http://www.examiner.com/christian-music-in-st-louis/resized-bluegrassjamposter-png-photo

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
Rats. I won't get there till the 8th

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
Glad to hear someone mention the hammered dulcimer and SDC in the same sentence.  When we first were going to SDC (early 80's) my dad saw a hammered dulcimer and was very interested.  Since it was in the days before google, he wrote a letter to the Smithsonian institute requesting information.  They sent him a small packet they had made up on the history as well as some basic drawings.  From that he made his first hammered dulcimer in our basement using basic hand tools, a circular saw and a drill press.  Since then he's made close to a dozen more (improving every time)...He's been playing ever since and often takes side jobs playing private parties, weddings and historic events.  I remember one year in the early 90's his john corbin tape got mangled by the tape player in our car.  He was furious...he calmed down a little when my mom promised to buy him a replacement john corbin CD (a luxury at that time) on our next trip to SDC.  For me the hammered dulcimer and SDC will be forever linked.  Too bad they don't have a regular performer there that plays the dulcimer.  My dad just has to get his music fix by watching the front porch pickers play at the homestead.  All this talk make me want to make an SDC trip today, too bad I'll have to wait until Oct. for our annual fall trip.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »
My grandpa went out an bought a hammered dulcimer back in the 90's and I played it once after my grandmother died. Very fun to play. My mom said that when he passed away it was pretty messed up.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
Next time you and your family go to Branson you will find John Corbin working at a dulcimer shop on the strip in town. To my knowledge, there is only one shop, and it should not be hard to find.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
Across from the Hall of Fame Inn, near the Wax Museum.

3010 W 76 Country Blvd
Branson, MO 65616-3542
(417) 334-1395

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
After 3 months waiting...I finally made it into the local Bluegrass Jam. Thee were about 30 pickers sitting in and it was great. The music store staff played in on some of the numbers, and called out different people to play the breakdown. about 15 instrument mic's were set up, and 3 vocal mics in all were hooked up to the P.A. in the theater/ room we were in.

Unfortunately I was only a spectator as my thumb is still injured (yes 2 mths later) and with all of the workman's comp. beuracracy, who knows whn/ if I'll get to sit in next month...I'll sure go watch again though. Maybe they need a good set of spoons or a mouth harp/ Ozark harp to accompany them?

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »
My love of Bluegrass as an adult is directly linked to my gospel upbringing and regular visits to SDC from age 2. I've just started Upright bass lessons with Jason Chapman.
Avid fan for 42 years.