Author Topic: TV in the 1880's?  (Read 10568 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: TV in the 1880's?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 08:14:05 AM »
In the 60's and 70's SDC was known as "the Colonial Willamsburg of the Ozarks." It is not that anymore, it is a well done theme park. The arts & crafts have faded to a large extent...Donnie Ellison and his basket weaving have been reduced to a small demonstration area on the porch of the General Store, only a few baskets are sold inside. When Donnie retires, I'll bet the basket weaving and baskets will be gone, too. Times change, trends change. Roller coasters pull in the crowds now. What once was a small attraction above a show cave has grown into themed entertainment in over 20 locations in America. I do wish the higher ups would keep SDC much as it was in the past, but I know in my heart they will do whatever they have to do to keep profit rolling in. The almighty $$$ is the key, here. So, expect to see more Coke vending refrigerators at concessions, and if no one balks too much, more TVs in the park. I did not know until I read it in the thread that TVs were at the exits to some of the rides! This blows me away! Man, 25 years ago...half a lifetime ago for the company...people would have been fired for this stuff. Again, times change, trends change. I don't like it all, but I guess I got to live with it. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 08:20:38 AM »
Not making it any better, but when Donnie is not on the porch making the "50th anniversary baskets specials", he is in the top floor of the wood carving shop demonstrating. I would see the brooms going before the baskets. Besides I did basketry in college (I kow the joke is always about doing underwater basketweaving in college, but I wish it had been underwater, those reeds dry out quick!). I have talked with Donnie several times, and I have sat with Bob out by the old basket shop and worked on a few baskets with him while conversing about the craft etc.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
Oh well, things are as they are...time marches on...so let's enjoy what is offered, and when things change too much to our liking, we can always be vocal (VERY VOCAL) about it by contacting the powers that be on park. SDC is a business, and will do what it believes it has to to stay viable in the marketplace.
Even with the things I saw that disturbed me last Sunday, overall the park looked great! It's funny, but every curve and dip in the street is as I remember it, and those trees that were so little two decades ago have gotten mighty big! Everything was green, shady, well kept, neat...and the streets and locations even smelled the way I remember! My last visit was at Christmas, 2007, and so even through everything looked pretty then, too, I had to have a summer visit to fully experience things the way I remembered! I'm proud, overall, of the way the current "citizens" have carried on the traditions at the park.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

Frankly I think you guys really have some gaul to complain about a fan in a dining room.
THe temp in this area has just now dropped under 100 for how many weeks straight?
You would deny someone working a fan for the sake of theme?
Please, think about what you are saying.
I guess we need to request they turn off all of the air in the park as that is out of theme......
Think about this people, this is not rock music someone is playing in the park, this is civilization.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
The Mill dining area has ceiling fans. That should do the trick. I'm not joking when I say in years past if someone plugged in a plastic fan and placed it in the dining area that they would have been seriously reprimanded or fired. Of course, I'm a dinosaur. My mind, when it comes to SDC, is fixed to the ideals that Mary Herschend set for employees in the 60s-70s-80s. I still remember seeing her stroll across the town square with her grandson when she was in her retirement years. She was inspecting the park. My feelings are very strong about things like a plastic fan, unthemed drink coolers, and unthemed metal doors, as well as an operating TV in a shop in the 1880's themed area of the park. However, I admit, SDC in recent years has moved from being the "Colonial Williamsburg of the Ozarks" to a nicely done theme park, and things like a plastic fan and TVs are creeping into the park. I believe others on this Website will support me when I say that when too much of the regular, modern world pops up in the park, the tilt will have occurred, and SDC will become just like any of a 1,000 theme parks out there...loosing many of it's special qualities. As someone who does remember the old days, when attention to detail was a high priority, I pray that the "tilt" does not occur. I always want SDC to be a special place, not just for me, but for my kids, grandkids, and the generations to come. I promise you, that plastic fan may mean nothing to you, but to the folks like me who carried the torch for a while at the park, it is a big deal. When it comes to SDC, I don't ever want to see the ordinary...I expect a higher quality, a higher standard, and so far, for the most part, the park remains a high quality experience...that I am very pleased about!  :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 06:16:16 PM »
Frankly I think you guys really have some gaul to complain about a fan in a dining room.
THe temp in this area has just now dropped under 100 for how many weeks straight?
You would deny someone working a fan for the sake of theme?
Please, think about what you are saying.
I guess we need to request they turn off all of the air in the park as that is out of theme......
Think about this people, this is not rock music someone is playing in the park, this is civilization.

No one is saying that Silver Dollar City should not have fans, and no one is saying that Silver Dollar City should not have Wal-Mart box style fans. The problem is, when those fans are placed without any theme what-so-ever. I remember seeing a Wal-Mart box style fan near the Homestead Pickers. However, this fan had painted wood panels installed onto the sides, and a wooden 'X' on the front to make it appear more themed.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »

I understand what you are saying about the fans being themed.
However, I would be interested to see if that fan is still there or if it was a need during this oppressive heat.
I would quickly over look a plastic fan when its 115 heat index, I mean you gotta do what you gotta do.
If they don't have a themed fan or they cant get one quick enough, in this heat,  I say let them plastic blades glisten for all to see.
But yes, make the fan fit is ASAP.
Now, is it still there?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
Inside of the Mill is air conditioned. Dining area has ceiling fans. Don't need to see a plastic Wal-Mart fan in a dining area. Period. I'm a "keeper of the theme guy." There is no excuse for this happening. Period.
OK, off the soapbox again.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »
Okay Junior let's try this out. After much digging around I was finally able to locate a picture of what I was talking about. It is a "Wal-Mart" style plastic fan that has been themed.

What are your thoughts? :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/3929029546/
(Photo Credit: tinmmann620)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
Now that's attention to detail. Only a park like SDC would go to the trouble of building a period-style frame for a plastic box fan in an effort to uphold their brand. Bravo to them as far as I'm concerned.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »
The fans I was speaking of were the ones for sale as decorative items within Heartland Home Furnishing-just to clear that up.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
well my dream is to go to college and then come to work at SDC as a manager in the Maintenace and Construction dept and i would do everything in my power to keep the theme up. I agree if they keep on there downward take on themeing then in a few years they might as well put up 6 big flag poles out front and be done with it.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »
Yeah, I like that an "attempt" has been made to "theme" the fan. I'm OK with that. Thanks for the photo. I saw some small decorative lamp/fan combos in the furniture store that were nice, too. However, they were too small to do the job on the front porch at the homestead. Sorry to have harped on this theme thing for the last three days. When you see something for the first time that you know in years past would NOT have been acceptable, it's difficult to accept it immediately. Especially after "keep the theme" was drilled into our heads as employees...in my case over seven years! Of course, the park has to move forward, and everything there cannot be static...if it was, the park would have never evolved past the town square, and we'd all be parking our cars where the gazebo is! I guess I am just going to have to "chill out" over unthemed Coke refrigerators and ice drink machines, metal doors...and so on...and just enjoy the park for what it is. It still is a high quality product that I will take my grandkids to, and I hope it maintains that high quality over the years so my grandkids grandkids can enjoy it after ole "Junior" has gone on to that great big old diving bell in the sky!  ;) It's OK to remember the past fondly, as long as you keep yourself moving toward the future! ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:16 PM »
Thanks to all who tolerated my "venting" over the last three days! I made some critical and almost harsh comments, and I hope you will forgive me if I got too critical. I still love the place, maybe that's why I vented so much. SDC is a wonderful place, as you all know. Junior is ready to move back into his "happy place!" Thanks, ya'll! Whew, it has been great therapy for me! ;D

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
I agree with everything you said, Junior.  SDC is very good at theming so they could put a little effort into it and hide the "modern" inventions.  We have to stay on 'em to uphold the standards that keep us coming back multiple times per year, every year!
I'm Your Huckleberry