Author Topic: A Detailed Discussion: KidsFest  (Read 11324 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
A Detailed Discussion: KidsFest
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
I thought I might try something new on here. Once a week, I'll post a new thread where we can have detailed discussion of a specific aspect of SDC where we can give compliments, air concerns, and do comparisons to SDC's sister park Dollywood.

So, for the first "A Detailed Discussion," I'd like to discuss KidsFest. Now that it is over for the year, I thought we could talk in-depth about all aspects of KidsFest: shows, "characters," theming, etc.

I just finished reading this Dollywood KidsFest picture review: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=774260#p774260

And I've gotta say.... DW's KidsFest looks SO much nicer than what SDC has. It's a lot less invasive (the flowerpot sculptures are adorable!), and it looks like there are a lot of cooler things to see and do: giant sand sculpture, a prospector & costumed dog that are not some random Nickelodeon cartoon characters, and, especially, Kamp Kidsfest.

I could go into all the other non-Kidsfest stuff in that review that look amazing, but that's for another week.

To give a bit of a format to these Detailed Discussion threads, here's a list of questions to get things started:

What is your favorite fest-related show during KidsFest? Least favorite?

What is your favorite fest-related activity during KidsFest? Least favorite?

What is your favorite fest-related shop during KidsFest? Least favorite?

What would you omit if you were in charge of KidsFest?

What would you add if you were in charge of KidsFest?

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)?

So.... let the Detailed Discussion begin!

Joy

PS: Note, too, that there is a Rainmaker at Dollywood! I've been to SDC 7 times now this year, and while the wagon is there in Main Street, I haven't seen hide nor hair of any Rainmaker. >:(
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:50:20 PM by tinaalsgirl »

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: A Detailed Discussion: KidsFest
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:18:52 PM »
We have attended Kidsfest in the past at both Dollywood and SDC.  No contest in my book, Dollywood's festival is much better.  The decorations, the attention to detail, the shows and the overall atmosphere seem so much better at DW.  I get the impression SDC is going through the motions with Kidsfest and it seems to decline every year.  It's as if they feel obligated to do it but their heart isn't in it. Part of me wishes they would do away with it and just make the park the best it can be for the summer. The decorations this year at SDC were paltry (in past years they have had some really cute stuff).  Once past the square you really couldn't tell a festival was going on.  The show offerings were not very good either, nothing that you just had to see.  A woman behind me at the magic show fell asleep and was actually snoring....loudly.  I looked around and her husband was asleep too.  I don't have a favorite show during Kidsfest, none excite me. They need a serious revamp.  No favorite activities really, the sand on the square seems a bit tired.  Why not let kids whitewash a fence down by Riverbattle?  Least favorite shop has to be the Frisco Barn where they sell all the cheap stuff that has nothing to do with SDC.  I would get rid of the cartoon characters. I hate to be so negative, but if they want to continue this festival they need to throw it all out, start over and come up with some fresh ideas.  All hope is not lost as better things are on the horizon.  SDC does a nice job with Southern Gospel Picnic, the Fall Harvest Festival and Christmas...so good times are on the way. 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:57:01 PM »

I was in Dollywood this year and I do agree, there is more money and more care.
I agree that maybe instead of sinking money into coloredsand and throwing a cheap sprinkler out on the pavement they should invest in more play area, or upgrades.
It is a waist of capitol.
I was a friend of an entertainment director that left a few years back, for another venue, he left on good terms.  I know what he was involved in and his absence shows.  Not every thigk he spearheaded was a hit but at least they tried new things.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
What would you omit if you were in charge of KidsFest?

I think your punctuation is in the wrong place:  it should read, "What would you omit if you were in charge?  KidsFest!"
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »
Very funny....but true!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »
"What would you omit if you were in charge?  KidsFest!"

+1000!

It's pointless. The kids of "Nickelodeon" age don't know and don't care and don't have much input on where the family goes for vacation. The whole world is new and exciting to them.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »

+1000!

It's pointless. The kids of "Nickelodeon" age don't know and don't care and don't have much input on where the family goes for vacation. The whole world is new and exciting to them.

Hm, you actually bring up a very intriguing point! Children spend all summer long in front of the television watching Sponge Bob, and Nickelodeon. Why must Silver Dollar City bend over backwards to showcase more of the same thing?

The whole world is new, and exciting to them. Silver Dollar City could be the perfect springboard to allow these children to explore, and embrace the rich summertime Ozark culture, and lifestyle. Such as shame this golden opportunity is washed away, and smudged over by Kids (T.V. Character) Fest.  :-\

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:05:58 AM »
When we brought my four and six year old nephews to SDC in July, we didn't participate in any KidsFest related activities and we got along just fine. Heck, we didn't even go to Geyser Gulch. The Grand Exposition was enough in itself to keep us busy for a good deal of the day; that and Fire in the Hole (which the 4-yr-old rode four times in a row, he loved it so much!).

pintrader

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »

What is your favorite fest-related show during KidsFest?    Peter Gossamer - Good comedy
Least favorite?  Stunt Dog Show - Good show but not quite as good as magic show

What is your favorite fest-related activity during KidsFest?  Cake eating contest
Least favorite?  Sand on the square

What is your favorite fest-related shop during KidsFest?  Kid concoctions
Least favorite?  Frisco barn

What would you omit if you were in charge of KidsFest?  Breakfast with cartoon characters

What would you add if you were in charge of KidsFest?  I would add a kids related show to the Riverfront Playhouse/Why this was closed during this year's fest is a mystery to me.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:24 PM »
Pintrader said "I would add a kids related show to the Riverfront Playhouse/Why this was closed during this year's fest is a mystery to me."

I can only guess the Smurfs, the Powerpuff Girls, the Rugrats and Veggietales were already booked somewhere else. 

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:31:47 PM »
What would you add if you were in charge of KidsFest?  I would add a kids related show to the Riverfront Playhouse/Why this was closed during this year's fest is a mystery to me.

Someone on here (Zephon?) said they were refurbishing the sound/lights.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
why is kidsfest just about young kids? I would like to see an area or maybe a themed frisco barn for teens. a place for them to go to hang out and watch a show thats non nickelodeon. or maybe a ho'down. I dunno. and if you are going to cater stricktly to the younger crowed, do something outstanding! have obstacle course races with a prize for the winner. or maybe play amazing games like find the plastic pizza in the swimmin pool of whip cream! (okay so maybe somethin not so messy) Or GIANT TWISTER at the giant swing somethin more than a balloon toss and cake eating. you could have egg races at the wilsons farm.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
What do dragons and knights/ feudal estates have to do with SDC at all? Leave that for the castle being built in Arkansas, put something else in there that works. I am not saying sell cowboys and indians, but something can be offered that is period correct.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
Rube,

Castle in Arkansas?!?! What's that about? I think I've missed something here.  :o
Andymeets1880s

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
There is a project in Arkansas where they are building a medieval fortress from the bottom up, using only the tools, materials, and methods used in medieval times. So the whole project will not be finished until 2030, because 20-ish years is approximately how long it took to build such a place.

As for the castle stuff at KidsFest... I, too, don't understand the necessity of the Schleich stuff in the Frisco Barn. They already have a perfectly nice set-up in the toy store, plus, the Schleich "toys" are really a bit more for the older set who like to make dioramas. Kids aren't really all that into it.

And actually, I found myself quite disappointed last year when we went into the Frisco Barn and learned that the whole castle thing was just a display to sell toys. I somehow got the impression that the entire barn was going to be set up like an actual castle with slides and tunnels and stuff for the kids to play in.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:53:40 PM by tinaalsgirl »