Author Topic: Springfield folks: "Diverging Diamond" intersection comments?  (Read 10776 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Springfield folks: "Diverging Diamond" intersection comments?
« on: August 08, 2010, 06:56:39 PM »
For any of you folks who drive around Springfield regularly, what's your opinion of the "diverging diamond interchange" at I-44 and MO-13?

For those who don't know what this is, here's an information page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverging_diamond_interchange

Springfield has the first interchange of this type in North America.

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
Re: Springfield folks: "Diverging Diamond" intersection comments?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »
I've driven it a couple of times since it is my way down to Branson.  A little confusing, but not too bad.  Did they just run out of ideas?
Vote to end 2020!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
Aren't they planning or building another one, as well?  I'm not sure if that's part of the Jame's River and 65 or not, but I did hear there was another DD in the works somewhere.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »
Columbia is getting one at Stadium and I-70.  I think it's pretty silly looking myself.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »
Looks confusing to an old dude like me. Keep it simple, I say.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »
There is also now one at James River Freeway and National Ave. 

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »
If you must know i live withn a few blocks of the DD at 44 and kansas expy and all i can say is thank god they put it in! The trafic there use to be horrible but now it is much better. For new people it is a little confusing but other than the ocasonal old person stopped and confused i havent seen anyone with to much of a problem with it. There is a new one at national and james river and the intersection of chestnut and 65 is suposed to get one also. The design came from some europen country and the odd thing is i read they are slowly starting to take theres out? Wonder if there is some unseen problem?
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 03:42:17 PM »
I think I read that the were building one on business 65 at the south end of Branson Landing with the new lake bridge.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »
They are building a roundabout on the other side of Taneycomo at the new bridge. It will be similar to the one downtown just across the Roark Creek Bridge at Skaggs Hospital.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 07:34:33 PM »
I was at the "south" end of new bridge 2 weeks ago..  I think the roundabout will work well in  that location.....Anxious to see the one at Jame river & 65 done...

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:20:26 PM »
The Diverging Diamond Interchanges work great. Like traffic circles/roundabouts, (see hwy 248 on your way to Branson Landing...you'll know it when you see it) DD Interchanges are a new concept for Missouri, so they will confuse some people more than others. Both of these concepts help out with the traffic flow quite a bit.

Once Concern: The DD Interchange during a power outage or "flashing red" traffic light=mass chaos! I've seen it happen at National/James River Freeway...not a pretty sight.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:25:25 PM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 11:54:28 PM »
I always get stuck in the roundabouts! ;)

The diamond intersection definitely looks intriguing. I wonder though, are they really that much more efficient? I mean if it's my understanding you still have to wait through traffic lights.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 04:54:44 AM »
I always get stuck in the roundabouts! ;)

The diamond intersection definitely looks intriguing. I wonder though, are they really that much more efficient? I mean if it's my understanding you still have to wait through traffic lights.

Yes, you might still have to wait for traffic lights. But it is a safer, more efficient design. In the example below (I-44 and Kansas), you see that right turners entering the interstate do not pass through a traffic light and yield to left-turning traffic (just like they do with a standard diamond interchange)

If you do need to make a left turn to get on the Interstate, you must pass through one traffic signal (instead of two) and proceed through the interchange and use the "left turn bay" just before you hit the second signal. The benefit of this design is that left turners do not have to stop at the second signal, as there is no oncoming traffic to deal with, which is a safety issue. The only traffic that must pass through both signals are the cars that are going straight through the whole thing to Bolivar or Springfield.

People turning left exiting the Interstate will yield instead of stopping, as they do with a standard interchange. This design is better here too, as left turners do not have to cross two lanes of traffic to get on the road, as they would in a Standard Diamond, another safety issue. Right turners exiting the Interstate might stop at a signal, but it is as easy to make a right turn with a DD Interchange as it would be with a standard one.

DD Interchange

Standard Interchange

The biggest downside is the learning curve, getting people used to this new design. Once we get past that, it is awesome.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:21:48 AM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 07:45:27 AM »
wow!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »
The biggest downside is the learning curve, getting people used to this new design.

It could be worse!