Author Topic: Midnight Madness park music  (Read 24966 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Midnight Madness park music
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
Part of the problem is that this "younger music" was NOT only playing during Moonlight Madness the last time I was there. The Powderkeg crew had their MM CD blaring at 11 in the morning!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
We are disappointed to hear that you were unaware of the theme to this special event and were expecting the park to be as it is during other festivals and in full operation. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know and will strive to do a better job of promoting these special events more clearly.

In Other words.................  Too bad so sad!  that's the way we are gonna do it, we don't give a damn what you have to say about it.

Or it would have read something like
" we appreciate and welcome all questions and comments from out valued customers, rest assured we take all comments into consideration when making decisions in our parks"

But that's not what they said.

They said,........ Like it or Lump it.

Interestingly when I was early at 6PM for MM I was welcomed with the Ghost Busters Theme.
They are not keeping it to the hours of the event.
This also contains no information about Powder Kegs lack of theme music.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
Wow, this troubles me deeply! How could they be so careless about the thoughts, and concerns of the people who spend their own hard earned money on them?

I think this should be taken to the next level. I am going to write a strongly worded physical letter to their offices in Branson, and to their corporate office.

No one ever expected Silver Dollar City to bend over backwards for everyone's individual taste, however, to basically tell their customers that it's the customer's own fault for not liking something that they force upon us really grinds my gears!  >:(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:16:10 PM by Ozark BBQ »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
Wow!  Did they really put the "we're sorry you didn't get the memo" statement in there?   Sigh...

It's official, I will avoid any "special" events the City has.  I tell people all the time in Florida how amazing SDC themeing is, but if anyone actually took my advice and decided to come during this marketing ploy, I'd be embarrassed. 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »
I do love Bluegrass but if we are going to be correct and play 1880's music there would be no Bluegrass.  It came to being in the early 1940's..  SDC would have to play hill folk music.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:39 AM »
I do love Bluegrass but if we are going to be correct and play 1880's music there would be no Bluegrass.  It came to being in the early 1940's..  SDC would have to play hill folk music.

Good ole' Bill Monroe the father of Bluegrass music.  You are correct, but blue grass is a variation at least of 1880's hill folk music.  "Poker Face".... not so much.  I do remember as a kid hearing more dulcimer/fiddle music around the park and boy hill folk music would be fine by me. 

As a kid I remember that was one of those unforgettable sights and sounds that greeted you when you went to the park.  As an adult it was like coming home to hear the sound of the dulcimer cascading over the hills, and more often than not it was live, not a rock.  My dad is gone now, but when I enter those gates I think of him.  Lets face it; SDC is a niche park.  It doesn't have the location to be like the cookie cutter parks.  It's success is because it is VERY different from other parks.  It is a unique experience that is handed down from generation to generation, and that is the reason for it's long term success.  Had it tried to be Six Flags in it's infancy urban explorers would be tresspassing to see it's remains. 

That being said, I think people are more worried about the gradual loss of theme than the few nights a year they try to inject the Celebration City (night park) into the mix.  I don't think it is just the music at night, as much as the combination of the music; basketballs; glow sticks; modern coke machines; Spongebob; Scooby Doo; and speed boats parked by the main entrance.  The semi snarky letter just reinforces the perception that the young Six Flags execs that are taking over the day to day just don't get it.  Even though that may not truly be the case.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2010, 09:16:21 AM »
I miss all the dulcimer & fiddle music... It's my personal opinion that the dulcimer is the single-most awesome instrument ever invented.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2010, 09:52:26 AM »
That being said, I think people are more worried about the gradual loss of theme than the few nights a year they try to inject the Celebration City (night park) into the mix.  I don't think it is just the music at night, as much as the combination of the music; basketballs; glow sticks; modern coke machines; Spongebob; Scooby Doo; and speed boats parked by the main entrance.  The semi snarky letter just reinforces the perception that the young Six Flags execs that are taking over the day to day just don't get it.  Even though that may not truly be the case.

You hit the nail right on the head! I think some of us could forgive the transgressions of Moonlight Madness as long as we had the confidence to know that this is not the start of wayward trend. All it takes is to remove a few cards before the entire house of cards comes crumbling down.

Silver Dollar City has been around in its current form for 50 years! Have they forgotten the "old" adage of "if it isn't broke don’t fix it?"

It will be a sad day when I have to bring my MP3 player to Silver Dollar City just to listen to bluegrass! ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:55:41 AM by Ozark BBQ »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »
The 50th anniversary and all the great "Did you know" signs and the fact that this is the year we are supposed to remember the past, is NOT a good time to inject a Spencers Gifts attitude into this grand old lady.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 07:31:31 PM »
I'm late getting in on this, but reading that letter really really upset me. I'm agreeing with the rest of you guys on this. Sure it was a prompt reply, but it was a bull reply. First rule of business is to never ever insult the customer that pays their hard earned money to enjoy your park.

As a teenager, I can honestly say that we do NOT need modern music to have a good time. Give us some credit SDC!! We're able to adapt and I know most kids my age would have a great time if SDC would ever decide to do a large square dance or something like that instead of the street dance with the modern music.

It's insulting that they are so lazy when it comes to thinking up creative new ideas for their guests to experience. Just because MM is targeted for the young families doesn't mean you have to break the theme you've had for 50 years that's gotten you to where you are in the business. I'm getting off the soap box now because everything I just said has already been said one way or another but I just wanted to offer my opinion.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
Thanks for your input Coaster.  I'm glad to hear that we "older" types aren't completely off target.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
^Thanks Betamake. I've been to both Disneyland and Disneyworld and you're completely correct. They don't have any slip ups in the theme whatsoever. I LOVE Silver Dollar City, but they just need to try harder.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »
Or at least step up their Guest Relations department...sheesh!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »

There has been a lot of comments concerning the letter they sent and the tone that it took.
I wonder if the suits are reading these posts and if they realize they really blew that one....

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2016, 10:39:17 PM »
Six years later:

Rocky Horror - Time Warp????

They couldn't slip much further than that.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating