Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71748 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
Yesterday in Missouri it was like nothing ever happened. All the people out without protection potentially infecting others, just because our shortsighted govoner decides to lift the order. Death projections for June are already up and people are acting like its over.

So what are you suggesting? You have to admit that society can't be shutdown indefinitely.

The quarantining was implemented in the first place to keep hospitals and health care facilities from being overrun, not to prevent the whole spread of the virus. There was always going to be a spike in cases no matter when things were opened up.

Did I say quarantine anywhere ? I said without protection. I could care less if people get out but then it is their responsibility to not spread it to others.  People not wearing protection, Not respecting the social distancing guidelines !  I am out every day but I am taking the necessary precautions.  It is my responsibility to not potentially infect others.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-coronavirus-deaths-exceed-70000-as-forecasting-models-predict-grim-summer/ar-BB13Dk71?li=BBnb7Kz

Then what did you mean by the text I highlighted?

Forget it, he's right, everyone that disagrees is wrong. There's no debate.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2020, 02:15:55 PM »
Pretty ironic to say that, chittlins, as both of you and runner have been going back and fourth, acting like either side is right and the other is wrong.

Yes, people need to work, yes, people need to make sure they're protected, yes, people need money. It's just back and fourth of the same message with just a change of words.

Back to SDC, like I said earlier, I think a soft opening when it's feasible seems like the best choice to go, then when the park is allowed to go a full capacity, hold the opening ceremony. Make it big, make it grand. Now when that can happen, nobody knows. As most rural areas are just now starting to get some confirmed cases (my county included), we're not sure what's going to happen. There's no way that we got COVID during December, though. It does not add up.

I'm positive that the city could be fully open by August, though. I wonder how much progress they've made on MRF?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
Yesterday in Missouri it was like nothing ever happened. All the people out without protection potentially infecting others, just because our shortsighted govoner decides to lift the order. Death projections for June are already up and people are acting like its over.

So what are you suggesting? You have to admit that society can't be shutdown indefinitely.

The quarantining was implemented in the first place to keep hospitals and health care facilities from being overrun, not to prevent the whole spread of the virus. There was always going to be a spike in cases no matter when things were opened up.

Did I say quarantine anywhere ? I said without protection. I could care less if people get out but then it is their responsibility to not spread it to others.  People not wearing protection, Not respecting the social distancing guidelines !  I am out every day but I am taking the necessary precautions.  It is my responsibility to not potentially infect others.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-coronavirus-deaths-exceed-70000-as-forecasting-models-predict-grim-summer/ar-BB13Dk71?li=BBnb7Kz

That people took it as a sign that COVID-19 jus magically disappeared and everything is ok!!!  It is ok to go out without protection! OK to not use social distancing, OK to not sanitize!!!  Again , I will say. Go Out, have fun with whatever floats your boat. But, It is your responsibility to not spread the disease. It is also my right to tell them to step back from me, Which I will do.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:21:28 PM by runner1960 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »

That people took it as a sign that COVID-19 jus magically disappeared and everything is ok!!!  It is ok to go out without protection! OK to not use social distancing, OK to not sanitize!!!  Again , I will say. Go Out, have fun with whatever floats your boat. But, It is your responsibility to not spread the disease. It is also my right to tell them to step back from me, Which I will do.

Give it a break or eat a sneakers or something

If half the folks would wear a mask right it might help. There was a reason they didn't push it early on.

Fantastic tweet thread here

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1257392347010215947

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »
Pretty ironic to say that, chittlins, as both of you and runner have been going back and fourth, acting like either side is right and the other is wrong.

Yes, people need to work, yes, people need to make sure they're protected, yes, people need money. It's just back and fourth of the same message with just a change of words.

Back to SDC, like I said earlier, I think a soft opening when it's feasible seems like the best choice to go, then when the park is allowed to go a full capacity, hold the opening ceremony. Make it big, make it grand. Now when that can happen, nobody knows. As most rural areas are just now starting to get some confirmed cases (my county included), we're not sure what's going to happen. There's no way that we got COVID during December, though. It does not add up.

I'm positive that the city could be fully open by August, though. I wonder how much progress they've made on MRF?

Fully open as in operating at normal crowd capacity, or just all of the rides and attractions open, or what? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept crowd levels down to a certain point all year.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »
Sweden sees a dramatic drop after every weekend in positive cases but the one following this weekend was steeper, will be interesting to see and follow. I check in on Sweden every day as they haven't gone all Runner on us.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
Sweden sees a dramatic drop after every weekend in positive cases but the one following this weekend was steeper, will be interesting to see and follow. I check in on Sweden every day as they haven't gone all Runner on us.

The only reasoning I've seen for the drop-offs during the weekend with the US is that the labs are closed on Sundays and couriers won't pick up samples on Saturdays, so it lags by 24-48 hours, which is why Mondays/Tuesdays see spikes in cases. So the same thing is presumably applied to Sweden.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
Fully open as in operating at normal crowd capacity, or just all of the rides and attractions open, or what? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept crowd levels down to a certain point all year.

I meant operating at normal crowd capacity, sorry. I'm sure they'll keep limits of lines/shows/etc

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »
You guys are getting too emotional about this, again.

Look, there should be an easy middle ground here. Go about your business, but do what you can to limit the spread and protect your community for a little while longer until some better treatments are available. It shouldn't be a choice between absolute lockdowns or a free-for-all. We should all work together to get through this in a logical manner.

They just figured out how the produce antibody injections, and word on the street is that treatments will be available en-mass by the Fall. Then next year there will apparently be half a dozen vaccines to choose from. We already know so much more about this new disease than we did a month ago. There really is light at the end of the tunnel, and this is the fastest I think humanity has ever gone from identifying a new virus to developing treatments and vaccines. We have so much to be thankful for.

It's crazy how everyone has to pick a side and fight tooth and nail over it. In South Korea they worked together and stopped the virus with fairly small impact to their economy. America has just fallen to pieces with everyone going their own direction and having their own little take on the situation. We are truly a nation divided and conquered by ignorance and bitterness.

Getting back to the root of the topic, it's obvious at this point that if the park is allowed to open anytime soon, at least half the clientele will show up. It's really just a question of whether the park can get enough employees and whether they think they can operate profitably with everything they'll have to do to make it look like they are being safe. Staffing is probably the biggest headache.

I predict that by the end of this month they'll start preparing to open up by mid-June to early July. They can't afford to wait it out much longer, the public is ready, and as I said, treatments are getting better and we are rapidly learning more about this virus.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »
I just want to point out that they’ve added back Operation hours on the app for June
SWOOSH

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:52 PM »
In the words of Rodney King, Can't we all just get along?

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:29 PM »
Maybe the app is different, I dont have it, but the website has had June posted for awhile. I would personally not use that as an indicator. But I have been wrong many times before and I will be wrong many times before I die.   

Also this whole mask vs no mask is very The Sneetches.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »

I found zen by envisioning my new Weeping Japanese Maple "Ryusen "  in several potential focal points in the back yard along with a companion purple pixie loropetalum  and twilight  nandina
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:53:14 PM by chittlins »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2020, 08:38:50 PM »
Wow I opened up a whole nest of murder hornets when I started this thread, huh?  I really didn't expect it to go in this direction but was hoping for maybe innovative ideas for the City to make it more safe.
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2020, 06:19:36 AM »
Wow I opened up a whole nest of murder hornets when I started this thread, huh?  I really didn't expect it to go in this direction but was hoping for maybe innovative ideas for the City to make it more safe.

More like Don King...."Only in America can you find so many angry people claiming to love their country, while hating almost anyone in it".   :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:21:40 AM by Pintrader »