Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 145997 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #420 on: August 06, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
Thanks Swoosh and others that posted pictures!  Looking forward to riding next Friday and Saturday!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #421 on: August 06, 2020, 05:59:59 PM »
Thanks Swoosh and others that posted pictures!  Looking forward to riding next Friday and Saturday!
Since there has been little to no coverage of the details of Mystic River Falls, we decided to do a full walking tour of the ride queue area and then photos of the ride itself.  For those who have not had the pleasure of riding MRF yet, this will at least give you some idea of what you can look forward to experiencing in the future.

https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2020/08/mystic-river-falls-now-open-sdc.html

Not a problem
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 01, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Yes the ride is faster, there is quite a bit of raft spinning when in the river, the landscaping is well done, the drop is mild, etc.

I don't know why but I feel Lost River did a better job with the rapids and getting you wet. The rapid at the tunnel for LR was so great. The rapids on Mystic River look impressive, but just don't do the job. My feet got wet, and my butt got wet from water rolling in through the doors but everything else dry.

I think to make this ride "worth the wait on a hot day" there needs to be geysers or something that hits your upper body, head?

Jay

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 01, 2020, 06:55:17 PM »
I will say it again, aside from MRF being more fancy and modern, I still think I liked LR better.  With that said, I did spot what looked like water nozzles after it comes off the drop that I assume might eventually be tied to those machines you put money it to shoot water at boats passing my like on the old LR.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #424 on: September 01, 2020, 09:48:37 PM »
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Yes the ride is faster, there is quite a bit of raft spinning when in the river, the landscaping is well done, the drop is mild, etc.

I don't know why but I feel Lost River did a better job with the rapids and getting you wet. The rapid at the tunnel for LR was so great. The rapids on Mystic River look impressive, but just don't do the job. My feet got wet, and my butt got wet from water rolling in through the doors but everything else dry.

I think to make this ride "worth the wait on a hot day" there needs to be geysers or something that hits your upper body, head?

Jay

Nostalgia has a funny way of distorting reality
SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 01, 2020, 10:05:38 PM »
How wet you get is dependent on weight distribution and how many people are in your boat. Our boat 6 adults and 2 children. I’ve never gotten so wet on a ride. The boy behind us was also our family. They had 2 adults and 2 children. None of them were nearly as wet as those in our boat. I’d imagine a boat would 1-2 people would have a very different experience. 

pintrader

« Reply #426 on: September 02, 2020, 06:46:21 AM »
How wet you get is dependent on weight distribution and how many people are in your boat.

Also just the luck of the draw.  Where your sitting when a particular action takes place since no ride is exactly the same.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 02, 2020, 02:06:47 PM »
"Nostalgia can have a way of distorting reality".....Yes I agree, but my reality had me absolutely soaked coming off Lost River - I was barely wet coming off Mystic River (as had been mentioned by others). Because of how wet we would get, we would always make Lost River our last rides of the day.

Thinking about my ride Mystic River more in depth, here are some possible reasons I wasn't as wet on Mystic River as I had been on Lost River:

1. The Lost River rafts had six riders with openings on each side of the riders. The Mystic River rafts have 8 riders with 2 openings, giving four riders with an opening next to them (four without). - if water entered our raft, it came through these openings. I didn't sit next to an opening therefore limiting my water exposure (on Lost River I didn't have that choice).

2. Most rapids we experienced didn't have a direct hit on the raft openings, neither did the final drop . The rapids we did experience went up the side of the raft, but didn't over-top the raft. - I guess this would be luck draw (or unlucky draw?).

3. Our raft was not full, therefore the raft didn't sit deep in the water - so we probably "floated" over some of the rapids instead of hitting them full force.

So next time, I'll be sure to sit next to an opening and hopefully have a group of 8 to ride with.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #428 on: September 14, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
Finally made it on Mystic River. We got lucky and got in line shortly after it re-opened following yet another episode where employees had to publicly unstick a raft at the top of the drop.

The ride is excellent all around. The river portion is fast and thrilling with just the right amount of splashing so you get a bit wet without being totally drenched. The tower is really interesting, and the drop is surprisingly fun. It's definitely more of a thrill ride than a family experience, IMO.

The area transformation is breathtaking. The entire area from dockside through the riverfront play area has been so nicely widened and spruced up. It's definitely the largest transformation yet, IMO. That entire side of the park is so different now than six years ago.

In spite of all our fanatic snipping at the decor, the finished product is very world-class. Are some colors a bit bold? Sure, but paint fades and it makes a good impression. The only real quibble for devoted fans is the 1960's style billboard at the start of the ride. Definitely a head scratcher why someone wanted to include that instead of a wooden sign or something, but it probably looks better in photos....

The new restaurant/bakery are both very nice. The bold artificial lighting is what really takes away from the theme in the bakery, but I guess you can't get away from that anymore. Otherwise, in person, it's at least a pleasant experience. Got to blend the old and the new somehow, and in this day and age a clean look is certainly important. I still like the ambiance of the Mine restaurant best!

The new bridge and the Butterfield stagecoach are great enhancements as well. I was really impressed that they kept the character of the bridge rather than putting in a simple concrete path. The added room will make a difference!