Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > SDC Memories/ Park History

Flooded Mine memory of boulders falling in the air shaft

(1/4) > >>

domotang:
Around 1977 on the Flooded Mine ride, I recall the boats having triangular brackets on the front and rear, projections on some of the animatronics faces, and a part of the ride in the air shaft where boulders fell on the boats from the top of the shaft, but were diverted by a net just above. The boulders were apparently made of foam or light balls.
After watching a YouTube current pov of the ride, boulders no longer fall on the riders. Instead, it's populated by a scene of prisoners trying to climb up into the air shaft towards the end of the ride.
This is the same shaft that can be seen from the outside of the ride.

mhguy77:
I agree with your recollection as well.   The boulders were the best.

domotang:
THANK YOU! For validating my memory here! In my Flooding Mine research, I never came across any recollection or reference to the falling boulders scene in the air shaft. I was positive this wasn't just in my head.

DollarCityBoy:
I never saw the boulders (1st visit to SDC was in 1987), but i've heard many other people reference that original part of the ride. I do, however, remember the "Candy Mine" overlay in the early-to-mid 1990's. They only did the over-lay 1 or 2 seasons at the most, but in my minds eye it was amazing. To this date, i have only been able to find 1 photo of the "Candy Mine" and its somewhere in the archives of this site.

runner1960:
The Boulder gag ran through the 1970's and maybe into the 1980's. Not sure when it was removed. It was accompanied with a strobe light effect which may be why it was removed due to some medical issues. There was also a explosion and a voice that said something like "Look out below, its a rockslide" . 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version