Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 147737 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 09:24:33 AM »
I think the observation tower would be awesome.....It would be easy to theme it as a fire watch tower like the multiple ones they actually have around here.  I'd try to put it at the end of the cave tour.....build it by the tour exit.   How cool would that be to do the underground tour and finish it off with a couple of rides up to get a few hundred foot view the ozarks?  It could be a new icon for the park.

The negatives.....not sure if it would actually bring in my ROI.  After all their are already observations towers around the area.....which means it's also not really that unique of an attraction.

Could also go full Six Flags with a tower too and build with a drop tower or zipline deal.  I'd love a bigger SS tower with a view....or drop tower with a view....but wouldn't what to combine them.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
I think the observation tower would be awesome.....It would be easy to theme it as a fire watch tower like the multiple ones they actually have around here.  I'd try to put it at the end of the cave tour.....build it by the tour exit.   How cool would that be to do the underground tour and finish it off with a couple of rides up to get a few hundred foot view the ozarks?  It could be a new icon for the park.

The negatives.....not sure if it would actually bring in my ROI.  After all their are already observations towers around the area.....which means it's also not really that unique of an attraction.

Could also go full Six Flags with a tower too and build with a drop tower or zipline deal.  I'd love a bigger SS tower with a view....or drop tower with a view....but wouldn't what to combine them.

I still wonder if they could use the old existing Water Boggan tower for one.  Open it up on one or two sides so you only see the "pretty" part and not the roads, and it would be cheaper than building a new one.  But I don't know if the structure on that old tower would work or not, or how stable.  And they'd probably have to hook up some sort of elevator.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
I think it would be plausible to reuse the tower for another ride/attraction. They would probably have to strip the wood off and take it down to the steel frame but it would be worth it I think.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 10:56:34 PM »
Seeing the big rides from the road/hiway is basic marketing 101... "impulse buying"

People drive by,
kids or adults see the coasters, "that looks cool, lets check it out".! 
THey go in check out the park and rides, SDC generates 3-500 bucks or more per family...

Thats impulse buying...  You have to properly market your product, to sell your product ;D

Um... if they're driving anywhere near SDC they were already going to SDC.  No one just happens to drive that way and then magically decides to go to SDC spur of the moment. 

Again SDC is NOT SIXFLAGS.  Stop trying to make it be. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 05:50:57 AM »
Um... if they're driving anywhere near SDC they were already going to SDC.  No one just happens to drive that way and then magically decides to go to SDC spur of the moment. 

Again SDC is NOT SIXFLAGS.  Stop trying to make it be.

I agree the majority of the people going to Branson and  the SDC area are going there and know what SDC is..  BUT there are several people out there ( :o :o ::) ::)) that dont know what SDC is or what it represents to us..

Big coasters on the skyline from the hiway or from the lake? yes, it will draw in extra people... those extra people spend extra money, that is additional revenue. Additional revenue NOW, and of course once they visit, additional revenue in the future...

AND NO we dont want to be like 6 flags.....   JUST SAY NO!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:49:04 AM by shavethewhales »

jsgoode

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
Normally I like seeing coasters from outside, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I saw Outlaw Run from Highway 76 last fall. I always thought the ride was more secluded than it actually is. On the other hand, I love being able to see Wildfire and Powderkeg from the parking lot.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »
If you look hard enough you can actually see Wildfire and PK from Kimberling City. lol

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 05:14:48 AM »
So to revive this thread a bit since this is the next plausible year for the next big addition to the park, and seeing the success with the large investment made on Time Traveler, do you think SDC will get another major coaster or a themed area? What and why?

Personal preference I am still hoping for is something new from B&M, or GCI, or even another Mack of some variety just to make the rest of the U.S. theme parks jealous that SDC gets two Mack coasters back to back within a decade. It really makes me wonder as it seems like Brad and crew have developed a good working relationship with the guys at Mack Rides which could build on the success of Time Traveler.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:25:18 AM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 07:55:02 AM »
Wouldn't get my hopes up for 2020 yet. Especially for a coaster. Probably won't be until 2022 till they start really working towards the next coaster, unless they finally get the long speculated family coaster before then. I don't know that HFEC's relationship with Mack is that good at this point anyway... have you seen how much downtime TT has had? Yes it's popular, but it has to be very frustrating to own and operate.

I think the plausible speculation running around right now has to do with "revitalizing" or replacing the classics (Flooded Mine and Fire-In-The-Hole), or coming up with a new water ride. The park has three water rides right now, and of those three, two are seriously antiquated and don't have the through-put they need at this point. Riverblast just simply isn't that fun or popular. Since AP and LR are so old and have their issues, it would make sense to get rid of one and get a shiny new replacement. Personally I'd rather see AP replaced with a modern flume similar to DW's.

We know that Flooded Mine is going to get shut down or completely re-done soon though. The park simply hasn't put the money into it to keep it going well, and at this point it is getting away from them. I'm still a little upset that they haven't really mentioned the 50th anniversary of the ride, other than allowing the operators to put up a little sign. It should be a big deal, but they don't seem to want to draw attention to it...

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
History has shown us that SDC tends to not invest in coaster projects back to back. There are always other forms of rides or lands added between a singular roller coaster. So, I'm not expecting this in 2020 either.

I would love for the focus to be on AP or FM. Those two attractions need it the most, in my opinion. Unfortunately I worry that we will get replacements of both rides and not revitalizations. I'll just have to come grips with that in my own time.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
Between the LR issues at Dollywood and the much less impacting TT issues here at SDC.  Wonder if your see HFE get a bit more conservative with there ride selections in the future?  The new coaster at Dollywood is basically a flat ride/clone with heavy theming.

I expect (or Im hoping) one or all of the FM, AP, LR, and FItH legacy rides to get the next investment dollars.....but nobody seems to know if that means refrubs, replacements, or just closures? 

I think a major refrub/rebuild FM or FItH could be as big of a marketing campaign to the local region as a new coaster would be.  It might not get the national attention that TT and OR did.  But everyone in the SDCs market already know those rides and would want to come see them if they are new and approved (at least that's my logic).  Could be a great medium sized inbetween coasters investment back into the park.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
It won’t be a coaster.  I wouldn’t expect another large coaster for awhile, unless plans change drastically
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
So to bring some of the Lost River speculation over to the 2020 thread (since it is supposedly a 2020 project after all). It turns out that Knott's is also rebuilding their old river rapids ride. What interests me though is the amount of theming and animatronics that Knott's is putting into it. Lost River had that huge building to work with for years and didn't do much with it except for the waterfall gag. Makes me hopeful that a new iteration of the ride could be quite thematic.
https://www.knotts.com/play/rides/calico-river-rapids

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 05:10:37 PM »
For me, the river rapids just needs to look like a nice river. I loved Grizzly River Run because the trough guides were made from "fallen logs" etc. I also loved the spinning drop at the end of the ride. SDC wouldn't have to have any animatronics - but it would be nice to have highly landscaped and detailed river. Also it would be nice to have an up to date ride with the new rapid effects (Whirlpool, drops, etc.).

Jay

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, AP needs to be ripped out and completely replaced.