Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384214 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #540 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »
The construction in the area so far seems to point to some large overarching structures (at least that's my guess the little I've seen lately). There's definitely a lot of footings and foundations being built. The concept pitch did indeed call it out as a fireman's pole, but it didn't show a specific building around the base.

I'd be willing to wager a guess that the shot tower will be well themed with something around the base. It might not be huge, but it will almost definitely be the biggest ride of the addition, and it'll be a focal piece. Just having it out there like it was at CC wouldn't do.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #541 on: July 28, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »
I not as sure about being almost definitely the biggest ride of the addition.  They sure need to do something to theme it and get rid of the carnival look of the thing.  It will be interesting to see how they make the rides and changes look like they all belong together.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 29, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
SDC is getting a lot of backlash on their facebook page about the removal of GG. Many upset moms & dads...and oh those grandparents!
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 29, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
SDC is getting a lot of backlash on their facebook page about the removal of GG. Many upset moms & dads...and oh those grandparents!

While I personally don't care too much for GG, I understand their concern.  It was a place for kids to cool off on hot summer days and run around like crazy people.  It was always full whenever I walked past it, and my nieces and nephews always enjoyed it.

Of course that's not to say the new development won't have the same appeal, and since it is a fireman's theme you have to think there will still be opportunities to get "hosed down" and cooled off, so we just don't know yet.  But I see where they are coming from.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 29, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »
Couple of more weeks and we will all find out whats what...  Hopefully that will calm down those parents and grandparents.....

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 29, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Does anyone think SDC is tired of policing the swimsuit policy.  Several get into that area and want to strip to their swimsuits and then walk around the park, which is against park policy.  It got too hard to keep that from happening, so they allowed it for youngsters, but it's awkward to have kids changing clothes in the restrooms.  I think the new area will be planned better.  Really a splash pad is better reserved for places that are closer to home, where you have access to more privacy nearby.

I'm pretty sure some of the same elements will be revamped and included.  The concept art that we were shown had the balls still in there (a bucket brigade thing), and I really think fire hoses will easily be a part of the area (which probably means they will just repaint the "island" in the lake - ugh).  That just seems likely on all levels.  The people on facebook likely do not have any idea of what is happening.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #546 on: July 29, 2014, 01:34:39 PM »
^I'm sure that's played a role in a few decisions. Splash Harbor was practically a water park, and it really contributed to a lot of people wearing overt swim wear all over the park all day long. I don't expect to see the splash pads return, but hope they keep the outward facing water cannons. Don't think they seem intent on keeping the old greedy bro's tower though...

The announcement will be designed to curtail parent's concerns about GG. SDC understands at least the basic needs of their target audience here.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 29, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
^I'm sure that's played a role in a few decisions. Splash Harbor was practically a water park, and it really contributed to a lot of people wearing overt swim wear all over the park all day long. I don't expect to see the splash pads return, but hope they keep the outward facing water cannons. Don't think they seem intent on keeping the old greedy bro's tower though...

The announcement will be designed to curtail parent's concerns about GG. SDC understands at least the basic needs of their target audience here.

Yeah, it's not like you don't get soaked on AP, LRotO, and River Blast. More and more quick dry clothing options are out there as well.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 29, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »
Does anyone think SDC is tired of policing the swimsuit policy.  Several get into that area and want to strip to their swimsuits and then walk around the park, which is against park policy.  It got too hard to keep that from happening, so they allowed it for youngsters, but it's awkward to have kids changing clothes in the restrooms.  I think the new area will be planned better.  Really a splash pad is better reserved for places that are closer to home, where you have access to more privacy nearby.

I'm pretty sure some of the same elements will be revamped and included.  The concept art that we were shown had the balls still in there (a bucket brigade thing), and I really think fire hoses will easily be a part of the area (which probably means they will just repaint the "island" in the lake - ugh).  That just seems likely on all levels.  The people on facebook likely do not have any idea of what is happening.

How are places like Frontier City, Magic Springs and Worlds of Fun handling it bring they have either water play structures or outright water park features as part of the same admission. Seems most are building the needed changing facilities.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:01:25 PM by chittlins »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 29, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
That's easy:  they don't have the same standards as Silver Dollar City.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

It's kinda funny coming from owners of water parks as well.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 29, 2014, 02:06:31 PM »
I get that, but the setting is the difference.  I can appreciate that people who don't want to be subjected to that - call it temptation if you want - don't expect to see it at Silver Dollar City.  It's less shocking in a setting where you are expecting it.  Evan so, most water parks have appearance standards, as well.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 29, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »

It's kinda funny coming from owners of water parks as well.

That's true. I think they could loosen the standards a little bit. I see it no worse than men walking around in 2 sizes to small tank tops.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:16 PM »
How about a day where all guests dress 1880s?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 29, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
So, I am just sitting here thinking about the addition and how SDC has focused on small revenue the last few years. Is there a chance we will see pay water cannons and other features in this new area? I would bet that some extra pay things are included be it games or pay to squirt features.