Author Topic: SDC's Wilderness Campground  (Read 16299 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
SDC's Wilderness Campground
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »
Has anybody ever stayed or camped there?  How was it?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: SDC's Wilderness Campground
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »
Not since the re-branding.  We stayed there and no where else until about 1991.  What I always liked about it was that you really kind of felt that you were connected to the Park somehow and could hear the steam train whistle being so close. 

I think if I went back now, I would say that it is one of the nicer, campgrounds around, but would probably pine for the simple times of the 80's when they still had the water slide across the street.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »
I've always wanted to stay in one of the cabins...but they are costly, and so far, I haven't made it there for a night.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:46:04 PM »
Well, I've got 5 kids and I'm at the point were I have to rent two hotel rooms or get a kitchenette.  It gets costly. A "quick" trip to SDC costs me $300.00 (not including tickets, we have Season Passes) and the majority of that amount is lodging.  We have a tent, and I thought for our next trip (in the Fall) we might try camping. Two nights camping would save me about $150.00 in hotel room costs.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:08:59 AM »
Tenting is not bad - especially when it is not crowded.  The plots are a little close to each other and sometimes the street.

We stayed in the original cabin - no running water - before rebranding.  It was in the winter, and it snowed overnight.  The cabin and "driveway" were decorated for the season, and we awoke to a beautiful morning.  The snow was not on the roads, so our journey to the City was unimpeded.  A good day.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »
That sounds awesome!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
I've never been to the Wilderness cabins, but I heard that you really have to rough it.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »
When I was a kid (many years ago in the late 70's and early 80's) we camped there quite a bit. We always had a great time as everything was clean and kept up nicely.  As others have mentioned, we always had a great time going across the street to the waterslide. That was always one of the highlights of our trips. The only drawback was if you got stuck with a campsite right by the highway.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
I always liked jumping in the pool there and then going into the general store and freezing.  I know that sounds like I was a glutton for punishment; but it was just a right of passage that you always went in there dripping wet and grabbed a soda and a handful of maps and took them back to your camper.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
As an employee, my pals and I loved the campground. We sometimes charged stuff at the store, some went swimming, we all enjoyed the water slide when it was across the street. We also sometimes snagged dates from the "visiting population" and went to the campgrounds to shower and clean up before picking up our gals.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
We used to camp there a lot but quit after most of what we considered the prime RV spaces were filled up with cabins (cabins when rented make more money per night).  Didn't like the campsites right on the highway.  Now we camp at Tall Pines most of the time where most of the sites are off the highway but the campground is still very convenient for SDC.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
Stayed in the loft cabins the 4th of July two years ago. It was nice with all the wood theme. The only bad thing is if you have more than one car, they make you park the 2nd one across the highway from the campground and thats a long way from the cabins.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
How does the shuttle service from the campground to SDC work?  Do they have their own access road or do they have to go up and around on 76 like the rest of us?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »
Don't quote me, but I think they follow the regular roads, like everyone else.

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 09:40:21 AM »
I have stayed at the campground several times, the last time being during Southern Gospel Picnic last year.  I have always enjoyed the tent areas.  More later, gotta go.
Vote to end 2020!