Author Topic: Old School Summer In The Ozarks  (Read 2218 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Old School Summer In The Ozarks
« on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
The summer got me thinking of things I used to do around the area when it got hot outside. 

Does anyone remember going to the Hay Swings in Ozark or the (sadly) now-defunct Hydra-Slide in Springfield?  I think the hay swings are still in operation, but was just told the Hydra-Slide is gone.  Sad.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Old School Summer In The Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »
I loved the concrete water chute...the original water slide in Branson. I believe it's still there and in operation.
-
This is a little off thread, but the Springfield Rock station "Rock 99" used to be a top 40 rock station in my day, with DJ Woody P. Snow. The radio station sponsored midnight movies of second run films at the old theater in downtown on the Springfield square. I think they did it on Friday or Saturday nights. They were great! We'd go with a bunch of friends...saw films like Private Benjamin, Excaliber, Heavy Metal, Monty Python's Life of Brian, and others. Admission was .99 cents. (Rock 99) Pretty good times...in my old school ozarks (80-83)
-
Whitewater on a day off from SDC was great. Free admission, hot day, cool water, chicks in bikinis...oh, yeah!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: Old School Summer In The Ozarks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »
I was usually so tired on my days off from the City that I just cranked up the A/C and maybe took the backroads around to the Kroger off the Strip to buy groceries (this was before the Branson West Wal-Mart made grocery shopping easy).

I did do the White Water thing a few times on my day off and usually stayed on the Mountain Streams (Hurricane Rapids). 

I did like the concrete slide in Springfield though.  You could jump lanes you got going so fast.  Fun!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!